Sponsored by:

1979 corvette with aftermarket lights "non popup"

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM
supsvc0702
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 corvette with aftermarket lights "non popup"

I am looking at a 79 vette with non pop up lights, sort of like after market kit or lights and housing a twin 4-barrel edlebrock intake and carbs. Can someone possibly explain if this corvette has been modified for horsepower and cosmetics by not having the pop up lighting system? My daughter wants an older vette and we are having a hard time figuring out why the car does not have pop up lights. Thanks, Joe email: supsvc0702@yahoo.com
Old 08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
LOTSARED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup, modified...

The "fixed" headlights is a custom thing. Some are converted from round pop up lights to fixed rectangular. It was popular 30 yrs ago when US cars began going to rectangular lights. Also, some cars have been converted to this after a front end wreck because it's much cheaper and easier than replacing the complex stock system.
The dual carb thing was never offered from the factory after the early '60s. So that's a modification also. Does it add power? Potentially yes, but more often no. Unless the engine is seriously modified internally there's no need for all that CFM. If those two carbs are both large CFM carbs it probably runs terribly. If it runs well, they're probably small bore carb that could be equalled with a larger single carb. So... the dual carbs is more cosmetic "ooo, ahhh" than anything.
Hey, if you like the car the way it is, enjoy! If not, get a different one.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:05 AM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Many vettes have these eckler designed lights. my experience with them is they have a serious tunnel effect. (like blinders on a horse I imagine)

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 corvette with aftermarket lights "non popup"

Quick Reply: 1979 corvette with aftermarket lights "non popup"