C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated.. Headlight Assembly Removal.... Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:27 AM
vetteflsurfer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frustrated.. Headlight Assembly (Support) Removal.... Please HELP!

I am trying to remove the entire vacuum operated pop up headlight assemblies and system without taking any body panels or front sections off. I planned on replacing them with the le mans style fixed headlights. I was thinking this was going to an easy job, so i skipped it and did some other stuff and now coming back to it.

Does anyone have any advice? The outer front screw that holds in the assemblies seems impossible to get to. The gap between what its bolted to and another retainer or crash bar is impossibly small to even get a wrench in there? Please post. Also if anyone has the rectangular headlight assemblies in a 75-82, what bulbs do they use? Thanks.
Paul

Edit: I got out the front right headlight assembly and realized it was the front right screw of the headlight assembly SUPPORT that seems like a PITA. I will post some pics tomorrow. But it seems just impossibly tight fit. None of my regular craftsman wrenches will fit.... I was thinking bout getting a cheapie 1/2 inch wrench and grinding it down to make it skinnier to see if that would work.

Last edited by vetteflsurfer; 12-31-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteflsurfer
I am trying to remove the entire vacuum operated pop up headlight assemblies and system without taking any body panels or front sections off. I planned on replacing them with the le mans style fixed headlights. I was thinking this was going to an easy job, so i skipped it and did some other stuff and now coming back to it.

Does anyone have any advice? The outer front screw that holds in the assemblies seems impossible to get to. The gap between what its bolted to and another retainer or crash bar is impossibly small to even get a wrench in there? Please post. Also if anyone has the rectangular headlight assemblies in a 75-82, what bulbs do they use? Thanks.
Paul
The front screws that hold the assembly in bolt from the bottom. Not hard to get to at all. The rears are also relatively easy, but just about everything in the front, bumper, grilles etc. will need to be removed to get them out as a unit though.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:02 AM
vetteflsurfer
Instructor

Well I just got the front right assembly out. I need to get the support out. That was the PITA screw I was referring to. The assembly itself with all the headlights etc I already got out.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:45 AM
vetteflsurfer
Instructor

Nevermind, got it out. I will post a picture if anyone is interested as to what I was talking about. But if not. Wish me luck putting the new fiberglass assemblies in. Happy New Year Everyone.

Paul

Get notified of new replies

To Frustrated.. Headlight Assembly Removal.... Please HELP!

Quick Reply: Frustrated.. Headlight Assembly Removal.... Please HELP!