Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to correct off throttle oversteer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:11 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by 69autoXr
What I don't follow completely is why a stiffer rear spring would help; that would unload the rear more quickly (assuming you leave the shocks alone) and toe out the rear more quickly...
Only from the standpoint that a stiffer spring is going to move less, thus minimizing the toe change.

However, since you're already looking at changing the rear setup you should be able to fix most of the problem the correct way.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
What was the lap times when you were trailbraking?

What was the lap times when you on the gas before the apex?

I had the same problem at MSR (little bend turn) and just got on the brakes sooner and was on the gas before the apex, to transfer weight to rear tires.......... I actually improved my lap times. And it wasn't so scary, cause the back end wasn't slidding around.

You gotta stay on the gas through riochet and little bend, or as you notice. the rear end gets really light and wants to swap ends.

TIA, Robert
I was going to say similar... I'm in no way experienced enough to comment on anyone's driving, especially people I don't know, but most turns around here, MSR, TWS etc. are all faster power on - much more rear contact patch. Ricochet is a perfect example. I watch people freewheel through there and THEY are the ones putting two off... not the people on the gas. The only place I ever trailbrake (or get off the gas going in) at MSR is going into rattle snake because you have a ton of natural downforce on the left front turning up the hill and can really use it to your advantage, then I'll freewheel up the hill.

MSR especially has so much off-camber stuff that any free-wheeling can really kill contact patch.

Feel free to tell me to shut up though

Last edited by yellow01; 10-08-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been bust putting an upgraded suspension on our two up triumph motorcycle so haven't had a chance to get back to this thread.

The day I was out was a lead follow session and the car and I were doing well at pushing up the pace and keeping our group of 4 cars together (not strung out).

The car did very well in all corners except little bend which is where the car wanted to oversteer. Through rattle snake I had some tire squeal but the car still felt planted and after rattle snake keeping the power on through ricochet felt comfortable it was the next corner that was a problem. Buzzardneck and horseshoe might be more of a problem as the car speeds up. Oh and no I did not make up the corner names these came from the MSR map.

May have to send the trans in our possibly look at it myself since the shifter is putting it fully in 3rd (popped out twice during the day). Also found a small leak at the front of the pan so will pull the Canton and put in a new gasket
Old 10-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Canam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Front has tubular control arms with VPB transverse spring set on next to softest setting. "

...I can just about guarantee you this is part of your problem. This and your rear spring settings. On nose heavy cars like vettes, mustangs, camaros you need stiff front springs to stop weight transfer and a soft rear end to plant. My old mustang had 1000 pound eibachs on the front and 250's on the rear. No rear bar is ok. All the guys talking about weight transfer are probably spot on.
Change out your rear springs and tighten up the front. Doesn't cost a lot and youll see a big difference and can then adjust from there.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Greg T Smith
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robvuk
Just don't do that
+1. If you lift entering a corner just about any car is going to oversteer. The weight shifts forward, weight comes off the back end -->oversteer. More of a driver error than poor vehicle set-up.

Quick Reply: How to correct off throttle oversteer?