C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS500 gearbox noise at 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 05:08 PM
sting70
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RS500 gearbox noise at 5th gear

Hello all,

I need your help, please! Yesterday I cruised with my 70th Coupe on a highway in the 5th gear of my nearly brand new Keisler RS 500 which I drive since the beginning of last season. The speed was around 70 mph. At one time there was a very bad noise (hard running gears) out of the gearbox. Immediately I pressed the clutch and stopped the car. After a shock moment I tried to drive on again slowly and everything seemed well. Each gear shifted smooth, I heard no gearbox noise. But by the end I had it four times and I don't know the cause. The gearbox has been running approx 900 mls without any issues. Oil and oil level corresponds to the Keisler specification. The gearbox was driven never hard.

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Bye
Andreas
Old 06-10-2014, 06:35 PM
DucatiDon
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Mine makes noise all the time. Keisler said it was normal. That was about a year ago.
Something to do with no insulation, coupled with the fiberglass soundbox. Yours could even be rubbing too....
Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 PM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

If I had to pay for the warranty I would also state that this is normal.
Obviously it is not, especially if it happend from one moment to the next.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:16 AM
sting70
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don, I understand but it´s not just a noise which depends on normal running gears. The RS500 was over all the time quieter as the muncie M21 which was installed originally. It had no contact to the tunnel or frame parts. I checked all these things before.

It´s a hard mechanical noise like a rock crusher really loud. I had it four times! Now I´m pretty confused!

Did anyone ever had something like that? What can I do?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:56 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

You can drain the oil and hope that the particle that might stuck between the gears comes out.
But the noise could also be a result of missaligned gears due to a damaged bearing. Or it´s just a dead bearing, who knows.

I would drain the oil, cheap and easy way. If you find a big particle in it take it out and fill the oil back in and hope the problem is solved. If you find many metal shavings something inside is toast and needs to be replaced.
If you find nothing in the oil I would drive it for the rest of this summer and then pull it out for disassembly.
You may also contact liberty gears, they are the manufacturer of this tranny. Keissler made only the custom work to make it fit into a C3.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM
SilverOverdrives
Supporting Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sting70
Hello all,

I need your help, please! Yesterday I cruised with my 70th Coupe on a highway in the 5th gear of my nearly brand new Keisler RS 500 which I drive since the beginning of last season. The speed was around 70 mph. At one time there was a very bad noise (hard running gears) out of the gearbox. Immediately I pressed the clutch and stopped the car. After a shock moment I tried to drive on again slowly and everything seemed well. Each gear shifted smooth, I heard no gearbox noise. But by the end I had it four times and I don't know the cause. The gearbox has been running approx 900 mls without any issues. Oil and oil level corresponds to the Keisler specification. The gearbox was driven never hard.

Many thanks for your help in advance!

Bye
Andreas
Andreas,

Silver Sport Transmissions can help with tech assistance regarding your Keisler RS transmission. Please call us at 844.609.8187

Helpful items to have on hand when you call:

• Your sales order number
• Bellhousing runout measurement

Jeff
2250 Stock Creek Blvd.
Rockford TN 37853
jeff.kauffman@shiftsst.com
Authorized TREMEC Elite Distributor

Get notified of new replies

To RS500 gearbox noise at 5th gear

Quick Reply: RS500 gearbox noise at 5th gear