C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS7 Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 04:38 PM
justdrive
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LS7 Clutch Problems

I had a Stage 2 Trans build installed in my 2003 C5 50th Z51 about 5000 miles ago and it sucks.. It was a great clutch for the first 200 miles, but as I drove the car more aggressively it seemed to fall apart. Not only does it engage inconsistently, but it weighs significantly more and the car feels heavier and much slower on a technical track.

Now at 5000 miles in if I do a WOT run through a couple gears, each gear will have a different engagement point on the clutch pedal, enough to cause sloppy shifting. I have a tick adjustable master which I can crank up to avoid this problem, but even at low speed town driving there is some float in the hydraulics and it will occasionally stick during disengagement.

This clutch is terrible, around town I smell burning clutch on a mild summer day (>75F).

I spoke with a local speed shop that suggested I install a McLeod RXT non-organic clutch and that will resolve the issue... at a $1200 price point. They explained that the organic clutch material swells causing the issue.

..what do you guys recommend here?? I just want a consistent and fast shifting gearbox. Its a non-Z motor with a Borla X pipe and touring exhaust. The goal here is reliability and occasional weekend at VIR or Lime Rock.

Last edited by justdrive; 09-30-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:15 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Probably just needs a shim. A lot of variables with clutches. You say you have a STG 2 trans. Shouldn't have anything to do with your clutch problems.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:46 PM
justdrive
Racer

If I have a tick adjustable master wouldnt that negate the need to shim?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 PM
justdrive
Racer

The chatter is most noticeable when disengaging a gear with the pedal in.

Get notified of new replies

To New LS7 Clutch Problems

Quick Reply: New LS7 Clutch Problems