Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
21st Century Muscle Cars

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
Rathmullan
Rathmullan
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Rathmullan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Default GU2 Axle and Transmission Gear Ratios

Hello:

I am new to this forum and I'm considering the purchase of a 2008-2009 Corvette with automatic transmission.

I have learned that the '08/'09 automatic transmission Corvettes equipped with the Z51 package have a 2.73 rear axle ratio (compared to the standard 2.56 ratio) as well as different transmission gearing ratios compared to the base model.

In '08/'09 the 2.73 GU2 axle ratio was available as an option on the base model. My question is simply this: Do those base Corvettes ordered with the GU2 axle and automatic transmissions have the same transmission gearing ratios as those Corvettes ordered with the Z51 package?

Thank you in advance and I apologize if this topic has been "beaten to death" but I have been unable to find a definitive answer to this question anywhere.
Rathmullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
haljensen
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
haljensen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Default

There is only one A6 transmission for C6's. The ratios are the same for all C6 A6.

Manual transmissions have a difference. Here's a chart that shows the different ratios;
Attached Images
 
haljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Rathmullan
Rathmullan
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Rathmullan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Default

Haljensen:

Thank you. But if you are correct, what is the following guy talking about? He seems to be saying that the Z51 auto transmission is different from the base's autotranny. (at least in '08):
"
Paddle Shift
The 2008 Corvette lineup was also offered with an optional six-speed automatic, paddle-shift transmission. This transmission has a first gear ratio of 4.03 to 1, 2.36 to 1 is used for second gear, 1.53 to 1 for third, 1.15 to 1 for fourth, 0.85 to 1 for fifth, and sixth gear has a ratio of 0.67 to 1. The final gear ratio for this transmission is 2.56 to 1. For the Z51 application, the transmission has a first gear ratio of 2.966 to 1, which matches the MZ6 transmission's first gear. However, gears two through six are taller by 12 to 25 percent. An optional 2.73-to-1 final drive gear ratio is available on the automatic Z51.

Read more: 2008 Corvette Gear Options | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7560245_200...#ixzz2CKz561ZX
Rathmullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
haljensen
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
haljensen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathmullan View Post
Haljensen:

Thank you. But if you are correct, what is the following guy talking about? He seems to be saying that the Z51 auto transmission is different from the base's autotranny. (at least in '08):
"
Paddle Shift
The 2008 Corvette lineup was also offered with an optional six-speed automatic, paddle-shift transmission. This transmission has a first gear ratio of 4.03 to 1, 2.36 to 1 is used for second gear, 1.53 to 1 for third, 1.15 to 1 for fourth, 0.85 to 1 for fifth, and sixth gear has a ratio of 0.67 to 1. The final gear ratio for this transmission is 2.56 to 1. For the Z51 application, the transmission has a first gear ratio of 2.966 to 1, which matches the MZ6 transmission's first gear. However, gears two through six are taller by 12 to 25 percent. An optional 2.73-to-1 final drive gear ratio is available on the automatic Z51.

Read more: 2008 Corvette Gear Options | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_7560245_200...#ixzz2CKz561ZX
I would say that the poster you quoted read the charts wrong. The ratios the post gives for the Z51 A6 is actually the ratios for the Manual6spd Z51 and would be very unusual for an auto transmission. A 2.966 first gear with a 2.73 rear gear? That would give an overall first gear ratio of 7.597, the absolute SLOWEST accelerating gear of all C6's.

Last edited by haljensen; 11-15-2012 at 07:18 PM.
haljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Rathmullan
Rathmullan
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Rathmullan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2012
Default

Haljensen:

Gottcha. The automobile catalog also supports your answer. So I guess it is safe to assume that the only thing that makes the Z51 Auto Corvette .1 second faster in 0-60 times compared to the base LS3 Corvette is the 2.73 final drive, and a base Corvette optioned with the GU2 Axle (2.73 final drive) would also be .1 second quicker?
Rathmullan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
haljensen
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
haljensen's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Location: Austin Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathmullan View Post
Haljensen:

Gottcha. The automobile catalog also supports your answer. So I guess it is safe to assume that the only thing that makes the Z51 Auto Corvette .1 second faster in 0-60 times compared to the base LS3 Corvette is the 2.73 final drive, and a base Corvette optioned with the GU2 Axle (2.73 final drive) would also be .1 second quicker?

GM needs a Fact Checker or Editor for a lot of what's published. You can't believe any one source anymore, everybody has an agenda.

Posted times are always questionable. Most aren't actual, they are "adjusted" to sea level, barometric pressure, temp, humidity, etc. Sometimes I think they are adjusted for advertizing reasons like with the GS. Quicker 1/4 times with a heavier, less areodynamic body and the same engine?

Another difference in Z51 to base is the tires, the Z51 Supercar runflat tires are stickier (and wear faster) than the base runflats.
haljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
Mike's LS3
CF Senior Member
 
Mike's LS3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljensen View Post
GM needs a Fact Checker or Editor for a lot of what's published. You can't believe any one source anymore, everybody has an agenda.

Posted times are always questionable. Most aren't actual, they are "adjusted" to sea level, barometric pressure, temp, humidity, etc. Sometimes I think they are adjusted for advertizing reasons like with the GS. Quicker 1/4 times with a heavier, less areodynamic body and the same engine?

Another difference in Z51 to base is the tires, the Z51 Supercar runflat tires are stickier (and wear faster) than the base runflats.
Good points and A6 is the only auto transmission offered in 2008-09 as listed in the above charts.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 11-16-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Mike's LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
JoesC5
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield MO
Default

All six speed automatic transmissions have the same gear ratios, no matter what the rear end ratio is(2.56 or 2.73).

Manual transmissions have different gear ratios(depending on the application) but they all have the same rear alxe ratio(3.42).

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-16-2012 at 06:14 PM.
JoesC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page GU2 Axle and Transmission Gear Ratios
Reply

Tags
auto/trans gearing ratios, gu2, z51


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2015 Z51 8 Speed Auto Fastest 1/4 Mile Time Ever EasyElliott C7 General Discussion 96 07-17-2014 09:13 PM
Rear Axle Ratio LB001 C7 General Discussion 6 05-26-2014 08:03 PM
GETRAG serial & part number decoding? GoGo87U C5 General 0 07-14-2013 12:23 AM
performance axle ratio steppindown C7 General Discussion 28 05-26-2013 12:40 AM
C4 Rpo Faq bogus C4 General Discussion 151 02-17-2013 12:32 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Emails & Password Backup