Sponsored by:

ZR1 or c7. ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 AM
2007Z06VIC/RED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZR1 or c7. ?

I was going to wait to see what the new c7 vette looks like but what I'm reading it looks like it's going to be smaller and lighter not as big in size or as much HP ? But probably have the same speed.

I'm thinking buy the ZR1 now and be satisfied with fastest corvette gm has made, the current ZR1 is very fast,from the carbon body work,brakes,supercharger, and look of the C6 there really is no where to go unless you redo the whole car from scratch witch GM is not doing to do from what they say so far?

I don't know if a split window and a 7 speed tranny that will gear it to get better MPG with a smaller engine and still be as fast as the current models is what a lot vette owners are looking for ?
If I could see a picture of the new vette it would be so easy to make a decision but as of today I'm leaning on buying the current ZR1 and enjoy owning a great corvette witch has to be if not the best GM has made since the Z06 witch I also bought new in 2007 I thought back in 2007 that was fast enough for me but once I got used to it and learned how to drive it I wanted more I think the ZR1 would once and for all satisfy how fast I want my vette to drive and handle in terms of top speed and braking it's really amazing car
Anybody going thru the same decision process ?
Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

In my opinion you should wait. Every Corvette model change except from 67 to 68 has brought about substantial improvements. The C6 to C7 change should be no different. When the car comes out the C6 chassis will be basically 16 years old (very little change from C5 to C6). The only one that went longer than that was the C2/C3 chassis which lasted 20 years. GM may do something to hype the last of the C6s but when they did that previously all they offered was a decorative package. The C4 LT4/6 Speed manual combo was an exception.

The first C7s will be absurdly expensive since for the last 30 years or so people think it is just fine to pay far above list price for a car that has just been introduced. I don't care if you are a billionaire that doesn't make sense. But, if you wait a couple of years the prices will drop to a reasonable level. Sure your 07 may be 10 or 11 years old by then but it will still be going strong just like old C5s and C4s are still going strong now.

Bill
Old 09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

I debated for awhile about trading in my Z06 for a ZR1, or waiting it out until the C7 became available. Ultimately, I chose to buy a new ZR1 now, because nothing with this kind of performance will roll off the assembly line for at least four years...maybe slightly longer.

A number of dealers (including those that don't sell ZR1's), told me that the first couple of model years will be for the base C7 and Grand Sport, given that the economy is soft and these are the top sellers. A couple years after the initial unveiling, the Z06 and possibly the ZR1 could be available. This is essentially how the C6 was launched.

Because I don't want anything other than a ZR1, and don't want to wait several years, I recently pulled the trigger on what is nothing short of amazing. A night and day difference over the Z06.

I have no doubt that what GM has in store for us with the C7 will be stunning. However, I'm betting that the premium performance that only comes with a ZR1, is still a long way off. But, what the hell do I know???

Given that there are only a handful of us actually paying taxes now, you have an obligation to continue to do more than your part to keep the economy moving The peasants are depending on you
Old 09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
WestPalmCorvette
Racer

check out the Callaway Carbon Z06 at Tropical Chevrolet in Miami
that will hold you over until the C7 debuts in its higher performance model
Old 09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

The ZR1 no question.

Limited number made, it's definately going to be more collectable in 2 decades compared to a C7 (which is a short-term place holder until the C8 shows).
Old 09-30-2011, 01:13 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

C7. I drove the GS, Z06, and ZR1 at Spring Mountain, and while the ZR1 definitely has more power, all 3 are far beyond your ability unless you do have some serious track time. The fastest of us students still had to struggle to keep up with--and even have the instructor slow down. In his stock Camaro SS with PS2's.

I'm not trying to be rude, just a realist. It was a huge blow to my massive 25 year old ego, too, and I still love my Z06, but I know that someone who can DRIVE a GS will emberrass me.

That said, the interior on the C6 is crap. The C7 will fix that (they say...). I would rather have a VERY NICELY appointed high 11 second car than a Cobalt that ran 10's, which is how I view the current 'vette. Although it handles and is durable and all that, too, it's like a Cobalt in the interior department with a worse sound system.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:50 AM
emaratee
Instructor

Originally Posted by BSSN
C7. I drove the GS, Z06, and ZR1 at Spring Mountain, and while the ZR1 definitely has more power, all 3 are far beyond your ability unless you do have some serious track time. The fastest of us students still had to struggle to keep up with--and even have the instructor slow down. In his stock Camaro SS with PS2's.

I'm not trying to be rude, just a realist. It was a huge blow to my massive 25 year old ego, too, and I still love my Z06, but I know that someone who can DRIVE a GS will emberrass me.

That said, the interior on the C6 is crap. The C7 will fix that (they say...). I would rather have a VERY NICELY appointed high 11 second car than a Cobalt that ran 10's, which is how I view the current 'vette. Although it handles and is durable and all that, too, it's like a Cobalt in the interior department with a worse sound system.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Caravaggio your C6. LOL.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd think even if you wanted a ZR1, it would make sense to wait until the C7 comes out. C6's will likely undergo big depreciation when this happens, just as most all past model Corvettes have when they were replaced. A $110,000 car has a long way to fall.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:25 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

I would think that he meant a brand-new ZR1. I don't see the C6Z06 and the C6ZR1 taking a hit when the C7 drops, personally. The C5Z06 seemed to retain its value until the C6Z06 dropped. I see the same thing happening with the C6 supercars; no drop in value until their successor is released. On that note, has anybody else noticed that the C6Z prices are starting to hit a wall? Two years ago when I really started seriously looking at them, a yellow 2006 with 30k could be found for about $38k. Now I peruse the for sale ads on here and find 2006 C6Zs with twice that mileage for sale for the exact same price and the 30k-mile ones are asking $45k.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:31 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've got 75,000 burning in your pocket, I'd pick up a slightly used ZR1. It's going to be more fun than the C7, and retain it's value better than any other new corvette out there in the coming years.

The C7 might have hp that comes within 80 or so of the ZR1, but I doubt it's going to have ceramic brakes, as wide of wheels, so on and so forth. Only thing the C7 will likely have in common with the ZR1 are the magnetic shocks.

Meanwhile, how many C6 ZR1s are going to be made between now and then? Vs how many C7s are going to be made over it's lifetime? And let's not forget how many gremlins the C7 is likely to have for it's first 2 production years...
Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait for C7... With all the money you're going to spend, why buy an outgoing model. When I bought My Z06 in 2004 and the C6 came out, I was really unhappy with my purchas and not waiting for C6. C7, is going to have a new designed engine with lots of interior improvements. As soon as C7 hits the street, the C6 will look old very fast. That's the way it is.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:56 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

When the C7 comes out I seriously don't see it having any more than 450hp vs the ZR1's 638. If you get bored easily pick up the ZR1 now to tide you over until the C7ZR1 comes out.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Think of it like this...would you rather have a 70's Corvette L88, or a base model C4? A 1996 Grand Sport or a base C5? There is no C5 to C6 comparison, as the Z06 was the highest model at the time, they had no "extreme" performance out for the C5 model year.

Only someone insane would rather drive a base C4 over a C3 L88, or a base C5 over and C4 GS. Or, dare I say it, a base C3 over a C2 Grand Sport?
Old 10-02-2011, 04:07 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KevinK
Think of it like this...would you rather have a 70's Corvette L88, or a base model C4? A 1996 Grand Sport or a base C5? There is no C5 to C6 comparison, as the Z06 was the highest model at the time, they had no "extreme" performance out for the C5 model year.

Only someone insane would rather drive a base C4 over a C3 L88, or a base C5 over and C4 GS. Or, dare I say it, a base C3 over a C2 Grand Sport?
Well put...
Old 10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
2007Z06VIC/RED
Instructor

Well said by all and I thought of all the above senarios I guess I will wait because the prices are going down gm dealer offered me a 2011 ZR1 3lz for 90,300 with a sticker of 127000 I guess next year the 2012 could be had for $85000 at this time next year plus we will know what the c7 looks like by this time next year
Also look at how fast the zr1 has come down in price from sticker of 127000 to 90300
That 37% off retail that's pretty steep
I waiting I'm a buyer at $80000 to $85000 next October 1
Old 10-03-2011, 09:24 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Hmmmm ... Are you talking only about power here, or also drivability? I mean, I have only driven my 1972 C3 as far as Corvettes go but ...
Wouldn't a base C4 be a way better car than a C3 L88 regarding handability, drivability, reliabilty ... Making it a way better car in that department? I mean, a C3, regardless if it is an L88 or not, had technology which was already used in the C2 era.
Wouldn't the same be true when you compare an C4 GS with a base C5?
I mean, I know an L88 is worth a lot more than a C4, same goes for the GS compared to the C5 ...

The ZR1 is truely a dreamcar for me (I don't want to step on anyones toes here) but it's been here since 2008-2009? It's based on the C5-C6 chasis. The C7 will be here in 2014?

Sorry if this is not completely on topic but if you say "only a totally insane person would DRIVE a base C4 over a C3 L88" ... I have doubts ... Again, I only have a C3 smallblock ;-)

Last edited by ST Graveyard; 10-03-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To ZR1 or c7. ?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Maybe totally insane was a bit harsh. My point is, ride quality aside, there is a certain level of bad assery that comes with the territory with corvettes. If it was all about ride quality, none of us would have vettes, we'd have Mercedes. We drive the vettes also because of the speed, but if it was just about the speed, we'd be driving Ariol Atoms, lol! We drive vettes more for the bad assery of them, I think.

It's why I stick with modifying my C3, rather than buying a newer, faster, better vette. Those newer, faster, better vettes don't even get a second look. I got honeys throwing panties at me all day when I drive my C3. And it's a pretty plain looking C3, imo.

So I guess I should say, what's more bad @$$? A C3 L88, or a base C4? A C4 GS, or a base C5? A C6 ZR1, or a base C7? No matter HOW cool that C7 might look, or how much better the performance will be, there are going to be 100s of them in every town. For the same price, one could get hold of a car that is going to be a legend, in the same vein of the L88s and Grand Sports of a bygone era. At the end of the day, though, you're right. It's up to personal preference. A C3 L88 is probably not an easy car to live with, in the same way that a base C4 would be. Which would likely result in that C4 being driven a lot more....
Old 10-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Rather "drive" is one thing. Rather "own" is another. Give me the newer model in any one of your comparisons (except I'd like one drive with the L88 and then sell it to buy anything I want ).
Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2007Z06VIC/RED
Well said by all and I thought of all the above senarios I guess I will wait because the prices are going down gm dealer offered me a 2011 ZR1 3lz for 90,300 with a sticker of 127000 I guess next year the 2012 could be had for $85000 at this time next year plus we will know what the c7 looks like by this time next year
Also look at how fast the zr1 has come down in price from sticker of 127000 to 90300
That 37% off retail that's pretty steep
I waiting I'm a buyer at $80000 to $85000 next October 1
I find this VERY hard to believe, unless this was a used car with a fair number of miles on it. Given that I just purchased mine in the last couple of months, and dealt with over a dozen ZR1 dealers around the country, something is wrong with this picture.

1) I'm not sure what this car has on it to reach a sticker of $127K. 3ZR's with chrome wheels and loaded are no more than $125K. 2) At $90K, the dealer would lose more than $15K selling the car to you. No dealer in their right mind would do that, given that they could easily sell it to another dealer and lose maybe a few grand at most. 3) All this dealer would have to do is list it on Ebay for $100K and it would be gone in less than 24 hours. 4) 2010 3ZR's with low miles are trading in the low to mid $90's all day long.

Sump'n smells and it ain't horsesh!t

Quick Reply: ZR1 or c7. ?