Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!!

Old 03-11-2012, 08:54 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!!

Hi guys just a nube here would like to know if you guys would help me out..Love my 09 Z06 but just thought I'd take the jump to the ZR1...Anything to look out for or are these cars really close in performance and reliability ?...Never drove a ZR1 is it that much more powerful than the Z06 ?

THanks.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 AM
corvet786c
Drifting

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Hi guys just a nube here would like to know if you guys would help me out..Love my 09 Z06 but just thought I'd take the jump to the ZR1...Anything to look out for or are these cars really close in performance and reliability ?...Never drove a ZR1 is it that much more powerful than the Z06 ?

THanks.
Why are you doin it just to say its a zr-1? The performance of a zo6 is very close to a zr-1 with less $$. If money is not a factor for you then do the switch, but with just a tune and headers its about equal for both cars. jmo
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvet786c
Why are you doin it just to say its a zr-1? The performance of a zo6 is very close to a zr-1 with less $$. If money is not a factor for you then do the switch, but with just a tune and headers its about equal for both cars. jmo

Thanks

Just wanted the so called top dog in the Vette world I guess...I don't race them in any way but just love SCed powered cars..They just seem to have that kick in the pants feel that N/A cars don't..I looked into SCing my Z06 and the price was really high and I'd have to take it to Toronto to get it done which is a 24 hour drive from where I live.

So you say there's not much diff in the power ?...You would think with the HP jump of the ZR over the Z06 there would be a real kick in the pants feel of that extra Hp...You would think!!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 AM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only recurring issue that seems to be out there is the front end shimmy in the 60-80 mph range. Mine doesn't exhibit that and I think that most don't. But, a test drive of the actual car, be it new in stock or a resale, would probably be a good idea.

As to the "why bother" question, because it's the ultimate corvette produced to date. I know that personally I would be very happy owning a Z06, they are awesome cars, but I like owning a car that has so much power and tractability that I will never be tempted to mod the engine. The fact that the warranty is invalidated with engine mods is not so much the problem as is the fact that the Z06 engine and drivetrain were designed by GM engineers to reliably produce and transmit 505HP. The ZR1 engine and drivetrain were, likewise, designed by GM engineers to reliably produce and transmit 638HP. Unless one spends a prohibitive amount of dollars to not only increase HP but also beef up the delivery system then reliability is compromised.

You are going to love the ZR1, and even moreso, if it is Blade Silver.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by barduch
The only recurring issue that seems to be out there is the front end shimmy in the 60-80 mph range. Mine doesn't exhibit that and I think that most don't. But, a test drive of the actual car, be it new in stock or a resale, would probably be a good idea.

As to the "why bother" question, because it's the ultimate corvette produced to date. I know that personally I would be very happy owning a Z06, they are awesome cars, but I like owning a car that has so much power and tractability that I will never be tempted to mod the engine. The fact that the warranty is invalidated with engine mods is not so much the problem as is the fact that the Z06 engine and drivetrain were designed by GM engineers to reliably produce and transmit 505HP. The ZR1 engine and drivetrain were, likewise, designed by GM engineers to reliably produce and transmit 638HP. Unless one spends a prohibitive amount of dollars to not only increase HP but also beef up the delivery system then reliability is compromised.

You are going to love the ZR1, and even moreso, if it is Blade Silver.

Thanks for your input...Yeah modded my GT500 and sorta don't want to go that rout with the Vette's...Sorry not blade silver it's red but yeah saw that silver color and like it alot..Yeah I think I'll like it if it's anything like the Z06 I'll love the thing.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:03 AM
vetteheadracer
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I had a 2008 Z06 for 2 years and loved it. Bought a 2010 ZR1 last year and so far the only things I don't like about it are it's too quiet and the rear end grip could be better but then cold weather and 638BHP was always going to be a problem!
Looking forward to using the ZR1 more this year and really getting to explore its limits.

Driving wise there really is not a lot of difference as they are so similar inside, loved the noise the Z06 made under hard acceleration.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,423 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Lots of us in here moved from Z to ZR. Nearly every single one of us would do it again.

What's that tell ya?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

mpg is diferent too.............sometimes I miss my Z06 (modded)
Old 03-11-2012, 11:27 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetteheadracer
I had a 2008 Z06 for 2 years and loved it. Bought a 2010 ZR1 last year and so far the only things I don't like about it are it's too quiet and the rear end grip could be better but then cold weather and 638BHP was always going to be a problem!
Looking forward to using the ZR1 more this year and really getting to explore its limits.

Driving wise there really is not a lot of difference as they are so similar inside, loved the noise the Z06 made under hard acceleration.

So if you are running it through the gears the ZR1 feels more powerful a I take it..Like so much gettint to talk to people that had both...Guess what I'm after is does it have more of that seat of the pants feel of power when you're on it ?...Sorry for all the questions guys but just want to learn as much about the diff before I go through with this deal.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:30 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Lots of us in here moved from Z to ZR. Nearly every single one of us would do it again.

What's that tell ya?

I understand what you're saying but just like hearing your experiance with both cars...This info is very good guys keep it coming.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 AM
outbackfarmer
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BAD BAD BAD ideal! You are supposed to keep the Z06 and buy a ZR1 too. Then you don't have this delima.

I started to sell my Z06 and get a new ZR1 in late 2010. But I really like my Z06, it is LeMans Blue and is my personal favorite color ever put on a C6. I just couldnt get myself to sell it. So I just waited. I thought it would be a 4 or 5 years before I could afford both. But things lined up much sooner and I found a great deal on a 2400 mile 2010 ZR1 that was the exact option and color I wanted. So now I have both.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 AM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by outbackfarmer
BAD BAD BAD ideal! You are supposed to keep the Z06 and buy a ZR1 too. Then you don't have this delima.

I started to sell my Z06 and get a new ZR1 in late 2010. But I really like my Z06, it is LeMans Blue and is my personal favorite color ever put on a C6. I just couldnt get myself to sell it. So I just waited. I thought it would be a 4 or 5 years before I could afford both. But things lined up much sooner and I found a great deal on a 2400 mile 2010 ZR1 that was the exact option and color I wanted. So now I have both.

Congrats!!

I own an AC Cobra and will be keeping that.

Give me your take and diffs on both of them ?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not putting down the Z06, but the cars are not even similar. Go out to Spring Mtn (which you will get to do on GM if you buy a ZR1) and drive both on the track. The difference is very obvious. ZR1 has significantly more power and more grip (with both running Michellin ZP tires). The Z06 is a great car and if it is all one wants to spend, then it is the way to go, but to say there is no difference is just not being realitic.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:22 PM
RobMorgan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteheadracer

Sunset Oragne (forum vendor) exhaust mod is the best "fun" mod you can make on the ZR1. It sounds great all the time or you can hit your garage door opener button and make it quiet on the road if you want. I agree stock is too quiet, but it has a great sound with this easy to install mod that opens up the flap on the exhaust.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

ZR has more torque down low. That's what you feel when driving around. The Z is fast. The ZR is just faster. I loved my Z, but I wouldn't move back. The ZR is a beast. And the beauty of it is, if you just want to putt around in it, it will do that all day long. And if you want to ripple the pavement? It will do that all day long as well.

You can mod a Z to be as fast as a ZR. But you can't get the driveability, overall ease of operation/civility, or a 5 year/100k mile warranty while doing it.

Plus, I knew all along, as fast as my modded Z was (tho it was still a tick behind my ZR), it would never be a ZR.

They're both great cars, don't misunderstand. You really can't go wrong with either one. They both represent the greatest Corvettes ever - and I mean ever - made.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:28 PM
barry1me
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want the top dog get the ZR, after reading a lot on here now though and Fartpipes comments Im less in love with ZR, and have more respect for my Z. If money were no object of course I would have both, but Im not sure I can justify a ZR yet.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 PM
grandsport4me1963
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This ageless discussion can only be resolved at an individual level. Everyone has different tastes and budgets.

I've been lucky enough to have both Z and ZR and as I've stated many times on this board...I can't express enough how much better the ZR experience is over the Z.

The Z is a beast and it feels like it when you drive it. It's basically a race car and its noticeable.

The ZR is refined and smooth and always has the "beast" available. If you can afford the ZR then that's the way to go but there's nothing wrong with a Z.

Taking a test drive is the only way to resolve this on a personal level.

Get notified of new replies

To Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:01 PM
barduch
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by outbackfarmer

I really like your "style".
Old 03-11-2012, 03:08 PM
svtkeith
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys you just made my decision very easy...Will be doing the deal tomorrow and getting the car shipped to me next week...Can't wait for summer now...These c6 Vette's are by far the nicest ever and love them all but the ZR has my heart..

Wow what a forum this is lots of help and great info for a nube like me...You guys have a great forum and I'm proud to be a part of this from now on.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:13 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by svtkeith
Thanks guys you just made my decision very easy...Will be doing the deal tomorrow and getting the car shipped to me next week...Can't wait for summer now...These c6 Vette's are by far the nicest ever and love them all but the ZR has my heart..

Wow what a forum this is lots of help and great info for a nube like me...You guys have a great forum and I'm proud to be a part of this from now on.

Congrats.

Be sure to post back what you think after your first drive.

I have a hunch you'll be hooked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [ZR1] Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!!