CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/3017526-trading-my-z06-for-a-zr1-good-or-bad-move.html)

svtkeith 03-11-2012 08:54 AM

Trading my Z06 for a ZR1..Good or bad move!!

Hi guys just a nube here would like to know if you guys would help me out..Love my 09 Z06 but just thought I'd take the jump to the ZR1...Anything to look out for or are these cars really close in performance and reliability ?...Never drove a ZR1 is it that much more powerful than the Z06 ?

THanks.

corvet786c 03-11-2012 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580245927)
Hi guys just a nube here would like to know if you guys would help me out..Love my 09 Z06 but just thought I'd take the jump to the ZR1...Anything to look out for or are these cars really close in performance and reliability ?...Never drove a ZR1 is it that much more powerful than the Z06 ?

THanks.

Why are you doin it just to say its a zr-1? The performance of a zo6 is very close to a zr-1 with less $$. If money is not a factor for you then do the switch, but with just a tune and headers its about equal for both cars. jmo

svtkeith 03-11-2012 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by corvet786c (Post 1580246050)
Why are you doin it just to say its a zr-1? The performance of a zo6 is very close to a zr-1 with less $$. If money is not a factor for you then do the switch, but with just a tune and headers its about equal for both cars. jmo

Thanks

Just wanted the so called top dog in the Vette world I guess...I don't race them in any way but just love SCed powered cars..They just seem to have that kick in the pants feel that N/A cars don't..I looked into SCing my Z06 and the price was really high and I'd have to take it to Toronto to get it done which is a 24 hour drive from where I live.

So you say there's not much diff in the power ?...You would think with the HP jump of the ZR over the Z06 there would be a real kick in the pants feel of that extra Hp...You would think!!

barduch 03-11-2012 10:04 AM

The only recurring issue that seems to be out there is the front end shimmy in the 60-80 mph range. Mine doesn't exhibit that and I think that most don't. But, a test drive of the actual car, be it new in stock or a resale, would probably be a good idea.

As to the "why bother" question, because it's the ultimate corvette produced to date. I know that personally I would be very happy owning a Z06, they are awesome cars, but I like owning a car that has so much power and tractability that I will never be tempted to mod the engine. The fact that the warranty is invalidated with engine mods is not so much the problem as is the fact that the Z06 engine and drivetrain were designed by GM engineers to reliably produce and transmit 505HP. The ZR1 engine and drivetrain were, likewise, designed by GM engineers to reliably produce and transmit 638HP. Unless one spends a prohibitive amount of dollars to not only increase HP but also beef up the delivery system then reliability is compromised.

You are going to love the ZR1, and even moreso, if it is Blade Silver.:cheers:

svtkeith 03-11-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by barduch (Post 1580246450)
The only recurring issue that seems to be out there is the front end shimmy in the 60-80 mph range. Mine doesn't exhibit that and I think that most don't. But, a test drive of the actual car, be it new in stock or a resale, would probably be a good idea.

As to the "why bother" question, because it's the ultimate corvette produced to date. I know that personally I would be very happy owning a Z06, they are awesome cars, but I like owning a car that has so much power and tractability that I will never be tempted to mod the engine. The fact that the warranty is invalidated with engine mods is not so much the problem as is the fact that the Z06 engine and drivetrain were designed by GM engineers to reliably produce and transmit 505HP. The ZR1 engine and drivetrain were, likewise, designed by GM engineers to reliably produce and transmit 638HP. Unless one spends a prohibitive amount of dollars to not only increase HP but also beef up the delivery system then reliability is compromised.

You are going to love the ZR1, and even moreso, if it is Blade Silver.:cheers:

Thanks for your input...Yeah modded my GT500 and sorta don't want to go that rout with the Vette's...Sorry not blade silver it's red but yeah saw that silver color and like it alot..Yeah I think I'll like it if it's anything like the Z06 I'll love the thing.

vetteheadracer 03-11-2012 11:03 AM

I had a 2008 Z06 for 2 years and loved it. Bought a 2010 ZR1 last year and so far the only things I don't like about it are it's too quiet and the rear end grip could be better but then cold weather and 638BHP was always going to be a problem!
Looking forward to using the ZR1 more this year and really getting to explore its limits.

Driving wise there really is not a lot of difference as they are so similar inside, loved the noise the Z06 made under hard acceleration.

OnPoint 03-11-2012 11:05 AM

Lots of us in here moved from Z to ZR. Nearly every single one of us would do it again.

What's that tell ya?

Jimmy Z 03-11-2012 11:07 AM

mpg is diferent too.............sometimes I miss my Z06 (modded)

svtkeith 03-11-2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by vetteheadracer (Post 1580246907)
I had a 2008 Z06 for 2 years and loved it. Bought a 2010 ZR1 last year and so far the only things I don't like about it are it's too quiet and the rear end grip could be better but then cold weather and 638BHP was always going to be a problem!
Looking forward to using the ZR1 more this year and really getting to explore its limits.

Driving wise there really is not a lot of difference as they are so similar inside, loved the noise the Z06 made under hard acceleration.

So if you are running it through the gears the ZR1 feels more powerful a I take it..Like so much gettint to talk to people that had both...Guess what I'm after is does it have more of that seat of the pants feel of power when you're on it ?...Sorry for all the questions guys but just want to learn as much about the diff before I go through with this deal.

svtkeith 03-11-2012 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1580246934)
Lots of us in here moved from Z to ZR. Nearly every single one of us would do it again.

What's that tell ya?

I understand what you're saying but just like hearing your experiance with both cars...This info is very good guys keep it coming.

outbackfarmer 03-11-2012 11:32 AM

BAD BAD BAD ideal! You are supposed to keep the Z06 and buy a ZR1 too. Then you don't have this delima. :thumbs:

I started to sell my Z06 and get a new ZR1 in late 2010. But I really like my Z06, it is LeMans Blue and is my personal favorite color ever put on a C6. I just couldnt get myself to sell it. So I just waited. I thought it would be a 4 or 5 years before I could afford both. But things lined up much sooner and I found a great deal on a 2400 mile 2010 ZR1 that was the exact option and color I wanted. So now I have both. :rock:

svtkeith 03-11-2012 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by outbackfarmer (Post 1580247175)
BAD BAD BAD ideal! You are supposed to keep the Z06 and buy a ZR1 too. Then you don't have this delima. :thumbs:

I started to sell my Z06 and get a new ZR1 in late 2010. But I really like my Z06, it is LeMans Blue and is my personal favorite color ever put on a C6. I just couldnt get myself to sell it. So I just waited. I thought it would be a 4 or 5 years before I could afford both. But things lined up much sooner and I found a great deal on a 2400 mile 2010 ZR1 that was the exact option and color I wanted. So now I have both. :rock:

Congrats!!

I own an AC Cobra and will be keeping that.

Give me your take and diffs on both of them ?

RobMorgan 03-11-2012 12:19 PM

I am not putting down the Z06, but the cars are not even similar. Go out to Spring Mtn (which you will get to do on GM if you buy a ZR1) and drive both on the track. The difference is very obvious. ZR1 has significantly more power and more grip (with both running Michellin ZP tires). The Z06 is a great car and if it is all one wants to spend, then it is the way to go, but to say there is no difference is just not being realitic.

RobMorgan 03-11-2012 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by vetteheadracer (Post 1580246907)

Sunset Oragne (forum vendor) exhaust mod is the best "fun" mod you can make on the ZR1. It sounds great all the time or you can hit your garage door opener button and make it quiet on the road if you want. I agree stock is too quiet, but it has a great sound with this easy to install mod that opens up the flap on the exhaust.

OnPoint 03-11-2012 12:23 PM

ZR has more torque down low. That's what you feel when driving around. The Z is fast. The ZR is just faster. I loved my Z, but I wouldn't move back. The ZR is a beast. And the beauty of it is, if you just want to putt around in it, it will do that all day long. And if you want to ripple the pavement? It will do that all day long as well.

You can mod a Z to be as fast as a ZR. But you can't get the driveability, overall ease of operation/civility, or a 5 year/100k mile warranty while doing it.

Plus, I knew all along, as fast as my modded Z was (tho it was still a tick behind my ZR), it would never be a ZR.

They're both great cars, don't misunderstand. You really can't go wrong with either one. They both represent the greatest Corvettes ever - and I mean ever - made.

barry1me 03-11-2012 12:28 PM

If you want the top dog get the ZR, after reading a lot on here now though and Fartpipes comments Im less in love with ZR, and have more respect for my Z. If money were no object of course I would have both, but Im not sure I can justify a ZR yet.

grandsport4me1963 03-11-2012 12:44 PM

This ageless discussion can only be resolved at an individual level. Everyone has different tastes and budgets.

I've been lucky enough to have both Z and ZR and as I've stated many times on this board...I can't express enough how much better the ZR experience is over the Z.

The Z is a beast and it feels like it when you drive it. It's basically a race car and its noticeable.

The ZR is refined and smooth and always has the "beast" available. If you can afford the ZR then that's the way to go but there's nothing wrong with a Z.

Taking a test drive is the only way to resolve this on a personal level.

barduch 03-11-2012 01:01 PM

I really like your "style". :cheers:

svtkeith 03-11-2012 03:08 PM

Thanks guys you just made my decision very easy...Will be doing the deal tomorrow and getting the car shipped to me next week...Can't wait for summer now...These c6 Vette's are by far the nicest ever and love them all but the ZR has my heart..

Wow what a forum this is lots of help and great info for a nube like me...You guys have a great forum and I'm proud to be a part of this from now on.

OnPoint 03-11-2012 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580248949)
Thanks guys you just made my decision very easy...Will be doing the deal tomorrow and getting the car shipped to me next week...Can't wait for summer now...These c6 Vette's are by far the nicest ever and love them all but the ZR has my heart..

Wow what a forum this is lots of help and great info for a nube like me...You guys have a great forum and I'm proud to be a part of this from now on.

Congrats.:thumbs:

Be sure to post back what you think after your first drive.

I have a hunch you'll be hooked.

RobMorgan 03-11-2012 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580248949)

Cograts on your new ZR - you will find that there is a teather line between your right foot and and a silly grin on your face!

Mr. Gizmo 03-11-2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580245927)

THanks.

All Zr1 owners that made the move say it was the best thing ever.
I think Its a bad financial move especially with the C7 coming along. But if you have the money to burn and are not financing the thing at an unreasonable rate, then go for whatever floats your boat.

0-150 Z06 = 17.3 seconds
0-150 Zr1 = 16.5 seconds.
And depending upon which car rag you read, .2 to .4 difference in the 1/4mile.

The big question is will your seat of the pants tell the difference.

There was one guy that made the move, and sold the zr1 and bought another z06 back. His take it was not worth having 40-50k extra tied up in the car. Can't remember his handle --- There was also another guy that has both, and says its close but the zr1 is better.

Once the boat has sailed and you have let loose of your z06 + another 40-60k + sales tax --- what are you going to say, especially if you had to stretch financially to do it- It was good but not great. Heck no. you will say its the best move ever and those that stayed with their Z06's are jealous because they can't swing it and they are secretly dreaming of our extra special zr1's. -its human nature.

I would do it, but my financial limit to do the exchange would be 15 maybe 20k. I could easily swing 50k or 60k, but I rather use that money to take 2 or 3 great vacations and apply it to the next generation corvette., because I know when the C7 comes out I will be clammering for that and will regret having tossed 50k after a zr1. - its human nature.

We are so close to the C7 coming out.

99HRDTP 03-11-2012 04:24 PM

Like your choice in colors.:thumbs:

svtkeith 03-11-2012 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1580248996)
Congrats.:thumbs:

Be sure to post back what you think after your first drive.

I have a hunch you'll be hooked.

I will OnPoint...I plan on being here for as long as the forum is here.

Great place.

svtkeith 03-11-2012 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1580249400)
I think Its a bad financial move especially with the C7 coming along. But if you have the money to burn and are not financing the thing at an unreasonable rate, then go for whatever floats your boat.

0-150 Z06 = 17.3 seconds

There was one guy that made the move, and sold the zr1 and bought another z06 back. His take it was not worth having 40-50k extra tied up in the car. Can't remember his handle --- There was also another guy that has both, and says its close but the zr1 is better.

Once the boat has sailed and you have let loose of your z06 + another 40-60k + sales tax --- what are you going to say, especially if you had to stretch financially to do it- It was good but not great. Heck no. you will say its the best move ever and those that stayed with their Z06's are jealous because they can't swing it and they are secretly dreaming of our extra special zr1's. -its human nature.

I would do it, but my financial limit to do the exchange would be 15 maybe 20k. I could easily swing 50k or 60k, but I rather use that money to take 2 or 3 great vacations and apply it to the next generation corvette., because I know when the C7 comes out I will be clammering for that and will regret having tossed 50k after a zr1. - its human nature.

The money isn't an issue thats why I'm making the move...And I'm not a person that will say it's great just because I have it if I don't like it as much as the Z06 I'll sure be on giving my opinion..I'm buying the ZR as it's probably going to be my last Vette no matter what the C7 is like...I do have other cars also..I'm 53 and retired 3 years ago so yeah this one will last me as I only will maybe put 2-3000 miles a year on it..If I was younger yeah I would maybe rethink things being so close to a new C7 body style..And I'm sure the C7 will be all that and then some.

Mr. Gizmo 03-11-2012 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580250277)
The money isn't an issue thats why I'm making the move...And I'm not a person that will say it's great just because I have it if I don't like it as much as the Z06 I'll sure be on giving my opinion..I'm buying the ZR as it's probably going to be my last Vette no matter what the C7 is like...I do have other cars also..I'm 53 and retired 3 years ago so yeah this one will last me as I only will maybe put 2-3000 miles a year on it..If I was younger yeah I would maybe rethink things being so close to a new C7 body style..And I'm sure the C7 will be all that and then some.

53 is young. I am not that far behind in age. There are plenty of C-Whatevers coming along in our lifetimes. I felt the same way that my C6Z would be the last Corvette i buy when I got it 2 years ago. Now I am thinking the c7 looks interesting. Congrats on retiring at 50. :cheers:

My family tells me I should retire, but am concerned that I would not be happy as i am when i am engaged in my business.

NJ 427ZO6 03-11-2012 09:47 PM

I have an 08 Z06 and added a 2012 ZR1 about 4 weeks ago. Today was warm enough to drive for 2 hours, and a chance to check out the Mild to Wild switch I put in the ZR1 yesterday.

First, the sound difference is really great, on the highway I enjoyed a quieter ride, in town I enjoyed the growl even at a red light. Switch was a great first (and only) mod.

Which car is better, I thought the ZO6 was not to be topped but today I learned otherwise. ZO6 is fast and ZR1 is lightening fast, lots more acceleration in my opinion. My buddy was with me driving my Viper and at 75 my ZR1 quickly got ahead of him, amazing "throw you back in your seat" response.

My prediction is that there is no way you will regret having both. You only get today once, and you have earned the opportunity to enjoy the best... go for it and don't look back!

fisher auto 03-11-2012 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1580251752)
53 is young. I am not that far behind in age. There are plenty of C-Whatevers coming along in our lifetimes. I felt the same way that my C6Z would be the last Corvette i buy when I got it 2 years ago. Now I am thinking the c7 looks interesting. Congrats on retiring at 50. :cheers:

My family tells me I should retire, but am concerned that I would not be happy as i am when i am engaged in my business.

Life is short and enjoy while you can!!!

svtkeith 03-11-2012 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1580251752)

Thanks Gizmo..

I thought the same thing when my wife said I should retire...I worked so darn hard all my life I didn't know any other way but looking back and what I do now I wouldn't do it any other way...If you can Giz go for it you won't regret it..I know I don't plus gives me lots of time to play with the cars..lol.

svtkeith 03-11-2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by NJ 427ZO6 (Post 1580252418)
I have an 08 Z06 and added a 2012 ZR1 about 4 weeks ago. Today was warm enough to drive for 2 hours, and a chance to chech out the Mild to Wild switch I put in the ZR1 yesterday.

First, the sound difference is really great, on the highway I enjoyed a quieter ride, in town I enjoyed the growl even at a red light. Switch was a great first (and only) mod.

Which car is better, I thought the ZO6 was not to be topped but today I learned otherwise. ZO6 is fast and ZR1 is lightening fast, lots more acceleration in my opinion. My buddy was with me driving my Viper and at 75 my ZR1 quickly got ahead of him, amazing throw you back in your seat response.

My prediction is that there is no way you will regret having both. You only get today once, and you have earned the opportunity to enjoy the best... go for it and don't look back!

Thanks so much for your reply...Thats what I like to hear that throw you back in the seat feeling is what i'm after...So nice to talk to people that have driven both cars and owned both and give me a comparo..The Z06 is far from my first performance car but the first Corvette i've owned..I regret not buying one long ago but am catching up now love these cars.

Thanks again for the awesome input.

Pitbull11 03-11-2012 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1580249400)

0-150 Z06 = 17.3 seconds

All the talk so far about the difference has been focused on performance or percieved performance. What about all the posts on the engine problems with the Z06 value/lifter. Is there a dependablity or engine quality difference between the Z06 and the ZR1?

OnPoint 03-11-2012 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Pitbull11 (Post 1580252913)
All the talk so far about the difference has been focused on performance or percieved performance. What about all the posts on the engine problems with the Z06 value/lifter. Is there a dependablity or engine quality difference between the Z06 and the ZR1?

Hard to say. Only one reported engine failure on the ZR section here on the forum, and that was like a couple years ago.

The production numbers are so lopsided b/n the two, hard to say.

There are some differences b/n the two. For example, a bit less lift with the LS9, lower rocker ratio, and smaller valve face (which may assist in keeping the seating true if guides are out of shape), and lower rpm redline.

Given the lower production numbers of the LS9, it may be years b/f anybody can say for sure the LS9 is exempt from the issues seen by some LS7s.

Pitbull11 03-11-2012 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580250277)

I retired at 48, I'm now 63. I think you need to have more cars, since you now have more time to drive them :). Since I've retired I've had several sporty cars. Lexus SC430, Mercedes SL550. Mercedes CLS63 AMG, Aston Martin Vantage, Mercedes CL63, and the C6 Vette. Thats just the sporty cars :D Enjoy the new toy and then enjoy the next and the next, etc.

outbackfarmer 03-11-2012 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP (Post 1580249508)
Like your choice in colors.:thumbs:

Looks like we have twins!

svtkeith 03-12-2012 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pitbull11 (Post 1580253038)
I retired at 48, I'm now 63. I think you need to have more cars, since you now have more time to drive them :). Since I've retired I've had several sporty cars. Lexus SC430, Mercedes SL550. Mercedes CLS63 AMG, Aston Martin Vantage, Mercedes CL63, and the C6 Vette. Thats just the sporty cars :D Enjoy the new toy and then enjoy the next and the next, etc.

Thanks Pitbull...I will enjoy for sure..Cars I have enough for now..AC Cobra..ZR1..I'm happy with that.

NJ 427ZO6 03-12-2012 11:03 AM

right now I am at 7 cars and that is as high as I expect to go for the next few years :-)

svtkeith 03-12-2012 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by NJ 427ZO6 (Post 1580256072)
right now I am at 7 cars and that is as high as I expect to go for the next few years :-)

Awesome bud enjoy them!!

svtkeith 03-12-2012 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by NJ 427ZO6 (Post 1580252418)
I have an 08 Z06 and added a 2012 ZR1 about 4 weeks ago. Today was warm enough to drive for 2 hours, and a chance to check out the Mild to Wild switch I put in the ZR1 yesterday.

Which car is better, I thought the ZO6 was not to be topped but today I learned otherwise. ZO6 is fast and ZR1 is lightening fast, lots more acceleration in my opinion. My buddy was with me driving my Viper and at 75 my ZR1 quickly got ahead of him, amazing "throw you back in your seat" response.

What is the mild to wild switch ?...Never heard of this before.

99HRDTP 03-12-2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580256131)
What is the mild to wild switch ?...Never heard of this before.

It allows u to go from normal exhaust mode to all 4 tips open with the push of a remote button. An acceptable alternative if u r cheap and lazy is to pull the fuse.:thumbs:

----
Mike:flag:

svtkeith 03-12-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by 99HRDTP (Post 1580257860)
It allows u to go from normal exhaust mode to all 4 tips open with the push of a remote button. An acceptable alternative if u r cheap and lazy is to pull the fuse.:thumbs:

----
Mike:flag:

Got ya Thanks..Will look into that....The ZR i'm getting has 3M clear vynl on the whole front of the car I hate that stuff it don't allow me to polish the way I want to...Any of you have it or know someone who did and took it off ?

QUIKAG 03-12-2012 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580252751)
Thanks so much for your reply...Thats what I like to hear that throw you back in the seat feeling is what i'm after...So nice to talk to people that have driven both cars and owned both and give me a comparo..The Z06 is far from my first performance car but the first Corvette i've owned..I regret not buying one long ago but am catching up now love these cars.

Thanks again for the awesome input.

If you want 'punch you in the face' torque from a pretty large part of the rpm band, the LS9 is the engine to have. I LOVE the LS7 and how it winds out to 7,100rpm and sounds very sweet doing so, but the LS9 has monster torque at a much lower rpm than the LS7.

That is really the biggest difference between the LS7 and LS9 IMO. The insta-torque of the positive displacement supercharged LS9. You basically never have to downshift from 6th gear if you're above 38-40mph. :D You can certainly downshift (and I do so often) if you want to hit ludicrous speed.

Steve Snake Driver 03-12-2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG (Post 1580258292)
...You basically never have to downshift from 6th gear if you're above 38-40mph. :D You can certainly downshift (and I do so often) if you want to hit ludicrous speed.

Hehe...second gear in either of these cars can put you at 'go-to-jail' speed anywhere in the USA:D

besz28 03-12-2012 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1580246934)

What's that tell ya?

your not that smart and you just waste money to say you have a zr1, road and track said the z06 was the top corvette, be happy with what you got....which is in the eyes of a lot of people and magazines the top corvette:thumbs:

besz28 03-12-2012 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by RobMorgan (Post 1580247587)
I am not putting down the Z06, but the cars are not even similar. Go out to Spring Mtn (which you will get to do on GM if you buy a ZR1) and drive both on the track. The difference is very obvious. ZR1 has significantly more power and more grip (with both running Michellin ZP tires). The Z06 is a great car and if it is all one wants to spend, then it is the way to go, but to say there is no difference is just not being realitic.

road and track did, your not being realistic with yourself, and are having a hard time justifying the extra 30,000 you spent on the second best corvette.

OnPoint 03-12-2012 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by besz28 (Post 1580258919)
your not that smart and you just waste money to say you have a zr1, road and track said the z06 was the top corvette, be happy with what you got....which is in the eyes of a lot of people and magazines the top corvette:thumbs:

Yeah, ok Brian, whatever you think.:thumbs:

svtkeith 03-12-2012 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG (Post 1580258292)
If you want 'punch you in the face' torque from a pretty large part of the rpm band, the LS9 is the engine to have. I LOVE the LS7 and how it winds out to 7,100rpm and sounds very sweet doing so, but the LS9 has monster torque at a much lower rpm than the LS7.

That is really the biggest difference between the LS7 and LS9 IMO. The insta-torque of the positive displacement supercharged LS9. You basically never have to downshift from 6th gear if you're above 38-40mph. :D You can certainly downshift (and I do so often) if you want to hit ludicrous speed.

Thanks Quik.

Yeah thats what I thought..My SCed Shelby has that instant TQ and it weighs way more than the ZR1..So yeah that punch of tq I think will be very satisfying.

QUIKAG 03-12-2012 05:34 PM

Svt, check out my 4th gear pull vid. That is low-end torque:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tloRk...e_gdata_player

svtkeith 03-12-2012 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG (Post 1580259853)
Svt, check out my 4th gear pull vid. That is low-end torque:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tloRk...e_gdata_player

Wow Quik thats impressive from 4th gear:smiliedrool:....Thanks for sharing that vid...

3LZZ06 03-12-2012 06:18 PM

your not that smart

???

road and track said the z06 was the top corvette

Is the above two statements an oxymoron, or just a "moron"...:lol:

z06 was the top corvette...which is in the eyes of a lot of people and magazines the top corvette:thumbs:

Well lets put it this way, if your hanging the Z06's hat on one driver and one very short go-cart track then you win, but if you want to consider the other 100 tracks in which the ZR dominated over most all competition including the Z06 well...that speaks for itself.

By the way, if you'd like to poll both the ZR1 and the Z06 section as to which model they'd prefer, you'll get close to 100% ZR owners that like the ZR over the Z, and at least 50% Z owners that would like to own a ZR if they had an opportunity.(I was one of them)

As stated earlier, although a Z is certainly a beast, most of us came from a Z and wouldn't trade back.

:flag:

DebRedZR1 03-12-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by besz28 (Post 1580258941)
road and track did, your not being realistic with yourself, and are having a hard time justifying the extra 30,000 you spent on the second best corvette.

You sure seem to be spending a lot of time justifying why you don't have the KING. :rock:
If I want a comparison I will trust the Guys on here who have driven both. :smash: They provide more info than most of those mags.

Im sure it was the Carbon Fiber that justified the $30K to me:D And that cool window in the hood:thumbs: They are all great cars but it's some people that give owners a bad name :toetap::toetap::toetap:

DebRedZR1 03-12-2012 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by svtkeith (Post 1580246497)
Thanks for your input...Yeah modded my GT500 and sorta don't want to go that rout with the Vette's...Sorry not blade silver it's red but yeah saw that silver color and like it alot..Yeah I think I'll like it if it's anything like the Z06 I'll love the thing.

TORCH RED???!!! Congrats on the new car, can't wait to see pics and read your review of how the 2 compare! You will LOVE the Beast:smash::smash::smash:

svtkeith 03-12-2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 (Post 1580260280)
???

Is the above two statements an oxymoron, or just a "moron"...:lol:

Well lets put it this way, if your hanging the Z06's hat on one driver and one very short go-cart track then you win, but if you want to consider the other 100 tracks in which the ZR dominated over most all competition including the Z06 well...that speaks for itself.

By the way, if you'd like to poll both the ZR1 and the Z06 section as to which model they'd prefer, you'll get close to 100% ZR owners that like the ZR over the Z, and at least 50% Z owners that would like to own a ZR if they had an opportunity.(I was one of them)

As stated earlier, although a Z is certainly a beast, most of us came from a Z and wouldn't trade back.

:flag:

Yes guess you'll have to add me to that 50% list...I'm moving on up to the ZR...From what I read on here don't think I'll have any regrets...Not to take anything away from the Z06 it's a beautiful car but just moving up.:thumbs:

svtkeith 03-12-2012 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert (Post 1580260593)
TORCH RED???!!! Congrats on the new car, can't wait to see pics and read your review of how the 2 compare! You will LOVE the Beast:smash::smash::smash:

Thanks DebRed..And Torch Red it is...Red and Vette just goes hand in hand...:cool:

besz28 03-13-2012 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by OnPoint (Post 1580259123)
Yeah, ok Brian, whatever you think.:thumbs:

Yea, ok T&A right back at ya:thumbs:

besz28 03-13-2012 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1GSVert (Post 1580260564)
You sure seem to be spending a lot of time justifying why you don't have the KING. :rock:
If I want a comparison I will trust the Guys on here who have driven both. :smash: They provide more info than most of those mags.

Im sure it was the Carbon Fiber that justified the $30K to me:D And that cool window in the hood:thumbs: They are all great cars but it's some people that give owners a bad name :toetap::toetap::toetap:

the king? king of what? are you 10?:lol: