C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding Option Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:07 PM
bill gsport
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Understanding Option Codes

I'm having trouble with the definition of 3 options listed on my '11 GS Coupe (which I didn't buy new). They are Z16, Z51, and Z52...all of which are listed on the glove box plate. I pulled up the Corvette Action Center RPO Code list for my year and found the Z16 (called "Z16 Performance Package"), and Z52 (called "Performance Package"). Are these one in the same? I remember reading an article that said the Z16 is the suspension package (heavier shocks, sway bars, etc.) along with trans and diff coolers, plus the Eagle F1 Supercar tires. Is that correct? But I hear guys talking about Z51 more often (and see aftermarket badging that says Z51), so what's that? Is that something that's incorporated in the Z16 package? Just confused to see all three RPO codes. Any light you guys can shed on this would be helpful.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:03 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm sure someone will chime in on this that's very knowledgeable, but my understanding is that the options you list were upgrades (over the base model) specific to the GS model. Includes specific spring rates, heavier F&R sway bar, the larger rims/tires, bigger brake rotors. As for the GY F1 Supercar Gen2 tires, they were part of the order on the GS….IF you also optioned the car with MSRC and the M6.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Z16 - designates the GS specific suspension and brake parts. This post explains it well:

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
This may be old info to some of you folks here, but for some of the new members, they may not know ...

Z16 Performance Package

The 2010-2013 GS has the Z16 Performance Package which also includes a somewhat modified FE3 Suspension (unique to the GS)

Items included in the Grand Sport Z16 Performance Package:

1. Front Brakes . . . . . . .. Z06 . . . . . . . . .Cross-Drilled 14.0” Rotors and 6-Piston Calipers

2. Rear Brakes . . . . . . . . Z06 . . . . . . . . .Cross-Drilled 13.4” Rotors and 4-Piston Calipers

3. Front Stabilizer Bar . . . Z06 . . . . . . . . .31.0 mm

4. Rear Stabilizer Bar . . . .Z06 . . . . . . . . .27.9 mm

5. Front Springs . . . . . . . Z51 . . . . . . . . .526 Lb Rate

6. Rear Springs . . . . . . . .Z51 . . . . . . . . .645 Lb Rate

7. Front Shocks . . . . . . . .Z06

8. Rear Shocks . . . . . . . . Z16 Specific

(Performance 2.73 Axle Ratio - A6 Transmission Only)

Z52 - designates the Dry Sump Oil System and battery relocation to the trunk. (Coupes with M6 Transmission Only)

Z51 - you already know that is the previous performance suspension on the base car. As you can see from the list above, parts of the old Z51 pkg have been incorporated into the Z16 pkg.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:59 PM
bill gsport
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your help guys. Don't know why GM included Z51 RPO code when it's really incorporated in the Z16 (or why they included the FE3 for that matter). Also would have been nice to see the Z52 designated as "dry sump and battery relocate" instead of just "performance package". Guess I don't understand some of corporate's logic. Referencing icntdrv55, my car's an M6 but wasn't optioned with the MSRC, however it does have the F1 Supercar tires. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:41 PM
traveler1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information, I just purchased a 2012, GS, with 6 speed, this information explains the build sheet I just received. I was looking for the build date on the sheet, can't locate

Get notified of new replies

To Understanding Option Codes

Quick Reply: Understanding Option Codes