C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Brake performance in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 PM
Photomania
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Brake performance in the rain?

Do you notice almost no brakes when driving in the rain and you haven't used the brakes for a couple of miles?

I haven't driven my 1990 coupe in the rain in years. But I got caught in the rain on Thursday and it was weird how I would hit the brakes at an intersection when the traffic light turned red and I thought I was going to sail right on through the intersection. It's like the pads had to dry the rotors first and then they could stop the car.

Like I said, I haven't driven in the rain in years. It's not my daily driver. It's black and looks like crap when driven in the rain.

The owner's manual says nothing about using the brakes in the rain. The car came with Dayton chrome wire wheels. So, a lot of rain gets on those rotors.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:28 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

somethings wrong...
your car is not behaving normally. I would get some different pads or at least get the brakes checked out. No amount of rain should prevent the disc brakes from grabbing unless the pads are damaged from glazing. When I use the pressure washer on my brakes with soap and blow grease all over the rotors they might not grab the first time...but after 1-2 seconds of pedal drying....they're fine and don;t fade after that.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:21 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Photomania
Do you notice almost no brakes when driving in the rain and you haven't used the brakes for a couple of miles?

I haven't driven my 1990 coupe in the rain in years. But I got caught in the rain on Thursday and it was weird how I would hit the brakes at an intersection when the traffic light turned red and I thought I was going to sail right on through the intersection. It's like the pads had to dry the rotors first and then they could stop the car.

Like I said, I haven't driven in the rain in years. It's not my daily driver. It's black and looks like crap when driven in the rain.

The owner's manual says nothing about using the brakes in the rain. The car came with Dayton chrome wire wheels. So, a lot of rain gets on those rotors.
When i wash my vette with a pressure hose and wet the discs that is the only time you may notice brake feel, i usually tap the brakes a couple of times when i drive away and never really notice any issues.

I have A mold wheels which are open and although they would get affected by water spray from the road and splashes from puddles i have never experienced what you are describing even in very heavy rain and quite deep puddles on the road....

Some brake pad material can be affected by moisture but most reputable brands should not be affected, i know my ''Hawk pads are always ready.

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050F

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....Z5Z5Z50000050F

Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by leesvet
somethings wrong...
your car is not behaving normally. I would get some different pads or at least get the brakes checked out. No amount of rain should prevent the disc brakes from grabbing unless the pads are damaged from glazing.

I drive my '96 in plenty of rain, and the brakes work the same.
Of course, the tires don't have the same traction in the rain.

If you have the feeling that your going to "sail through the intersection" when the light turns red, something is definitely wrong.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 AM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Good info to know if I ever get caught in the rain, but mine hasn't been touched by rain in 23 years!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AirForceOne!
Good info to know if I ever get caught in the rain, but mine hasn't been touched by rain in 23 years!
I remember that feeling ...

My first c4 went several years without being wet. I was fanatical about that...no water puddles, no rain, I'd go around the block if I saw sprinklers spraying into the street. Finally got caught inj a rain storm one day...thought I was gonna need therapy, but I survived, and so did the car!
Old 12-22-2012, 12:20 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Is it ok to drive a Corvette in the rain?
Old 12-22-2012, 02:01 PM
AirForceOne!
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty sure mine would melt!
Old 12-22-2012, 02:18 PM
tntwolt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problem with mine in rain, just the stuff that leaks in cabin. do have to watch for hydroplane danger.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I live in Western PA, the weather can be mostly sunny with a 20% chance of rain. The weather changes about every 5 minutes so... It'll still rains, get over it. I prefer not to get caught in the rain, but if it happens the car cleans up just fine.

Shoot I auto-x in the rain....car lives just fine. Proper washing techniques keep the scratches at bay. That and WAX lots of WAX, my Corvette beads water like a ducks back.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake performance in the rain?

Quick Reply: Brake performance in the rain?