C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving in the rain

Old 04-10-2011, 08:46 PM
SilvrVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Oxidation of the aluminum suspension parts is accelerated especially during the Spring, in the Northeast ,due to some residual salt on the road mixing with the rain water.
From High School chem class - once aluminum gets a coating of oxidation ( looks slightly dull grey ) it stops until the bare metal is exposed to more oxygen - unlike iron or copper; try it with some AL foil.

In other words it gets a "protective crust" on it - just like the ice cream in my moms freezer

So every time you shine any bare aluminum you are stripping it of it's "protective crust" ... OMFG !!!!

That means that in 3,000 years of polishing you might loose a half a mm of surface.

as a wise man once said:

It's a car - DRIVE THE BITCH !!

... and hats off to the folks out there that have engines you can serve dinner on - " bless yer hearts" THAT is true dedication.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc V.
They sit outside the factory, at the shipping lots, and on the transports.

It's just a car.

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
Its not just a car, its a Corvette.
Sorry but even though its a Corvette it IS just a car. I mean its not a Ferrari. Hell I could've purchased a brand new Vette for what I paid for my Silverado. I really don't get the big deal. I see people driving MB
s (we drive our SL rain or shine) and BMW daily that cost a lot more than a Vette. Unless there is a lot of snow and its dangerous to drive I don't see the point in letting it sit.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 PM
YellowGSRocket
Racer

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
So what's more important? The resale value, which has already dropped when you drove it off the lot, or the enjoyment of driving it?

If it's the resale, then sell it now before it goes lower.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
How's this?

Mad Max,

That's just NOT RIGHT!!!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:53 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But its still a daily driver for us and we drive in the rain and enjoy every minute of it. Thats one reason i replaced the super car tires with all season tires.
Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
Its not just a car, its a Corvette.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Icebear
Pro

Originally Posted by CO Lightfoot
Ask yourself the same question next time you wash your car.

Hate when this comes up. Driven in very heavy rain and nothing faded, shrunk or washed off. When sold it was cleaner than some of the "never driven in rain" cars I've seen. (figured it was due to the underbody getting flushed). Also most of the cars sit for a couple of weeks out in the snow, rain or whatever at the plant and on the trucks.

Drive it and enjoy it.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM
mtrainer
Racer

Sometimes ya get caught in the rain and what can you do? It happened to me yesterday. The only reason I cringe is that it means I'll have to wash it again to get it back to where I like to keep it (really clean). I actually had to drive my brand new GS home from St. Louis to Chicago in heavy rain.

Mark
Old 04-11-2011, 12:24 PM
C4RACER
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

actually the vette had the lowest MSRP of the 3 cars I own by a pretty good margin. BMW 7 series and BMW X5 4.6is, although I paid more for the vette and it is worth more today than the other two because it is a lot newer. Vette is still my go to DD - whenever I can drive it - I do.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Slogo
Racer

Default Drive it at "all costs"

The true depreciation of the Corvette is not so much in terms of money,but how much fun you had with the car while you own it.I bought mine with 10 K miles and the owner almost cried when I paid him off and drove away.He wouldn't let me test drive it until he took his duster and wiped the car clean(it was spotless already). If he had driven the car twice as much,therefore having twice as much fun, and only lost a tiny bit more of depreciation, it would have justified owning a real sports car instead of having a garage queen.Can anyone here tell me of a car made in the last twenty years which has gone up in value ?
JMHO
Old 04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
SilvrVette
Racer

My Vert is so special that rain drops bounce off it's cosmic force-shield, bird crap reverses direction mid-flight and seeks the nearest Porsche, and bugs swerve to avoid me - and then commit ritual suicide as I pass.

All is well with the world ...
Old 07-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Cawe
Heel & Toe

I drove my GS to Mount Airy today to the Andy Griffith museum and I swear it started raining and I was ok with it went slower than the 70 mph. I came up on some wet roads but it had stopped raining and saw a nice Black GS in the middle of the medium in the grass turned backwards against the safty cable. He was out of his car looked like he messed it up pretty good. I felt bad. Those roads are fun to drive up around the mountains and foothills of NC. I will never forget that. Yea you better be careful I totaled a brand new Trans Am with vette engine once the rear end gets loose if you brake to hard. Be careful im still living and driving the hell out of my GS
Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,658 Likes on 845 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Capt Steve
It is just a car. If you are not going to drive, why did you buy it. These are not made of sugar. Drive it like you stole it.

Nuff' said.

I don't drive it snow, but if the roads are clear, I drive my Vette.

I bought it to drive and enjoy, not be a garage queen.

To each their own though
Old 07-21-2012, 09:12 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Rain is fine . Deep puddles..................not so much.

Clif
Old 07-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtrainer
Sometimes ya get caught in the rain and what can you do? It happened to me yesterday. The only reason I cringe is that it means I'll have to wash it again to get it back to where I like

Mark
Bert

Roll Tide!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,044 Likes on 1,358 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

It will melt in the rain!
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM
TrekWater88
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rain, Rain...RAIN!!!

Admittedly, I had the same thought process in regard to rain and my first new Corvette, but seeing as how the day I took delivery at the NCM it was raining, I got over it REAL quick. The first 1/3 of my drive from Bowling Green back to Wisconsin was in the rain and the car handled just fine. I woke up the next morning and washed her up and all was fine. I won't drive in the rain if I don't have to, but not because of any sense that I'm reducing the resale, but because it just isn't any fun to drive in the rain. Good luck with your decision...my $.02...
Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Cawe
I drove my GS to Mount Airy today to the Andy Griffith museum and I swear it started raining and I was ok with it went slower than the 70 mph. I came up on some wet roads but it had stopped raining and saw a nice Black GS in the middle of the medium in the grass turned backwards against the safty cable. He was out of his car looked like he messed it up pretty good. I felt bad. Those roads are fun to drive up around the mountains and foothills of NC. I will never forget that. Yea you better be careful I totaled a brand new Trans Am with vette engine once the rear end gets loose if you brake to hard. Be careful im still living and driving the hell out of my GS
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driving in the rain