CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Driving in the rain (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2807278-driving-in-the-rain.html)

texvette2 04-01-2011 12:52 AM

I don't drive my vettes in the rain because don't want to wash them.
The rims, exhaust, crowl, from all the mess kicked up by other cars.

Besides don't feel that safe in the vette on wet roads. its low, wide tires,
just asking for trouble

Wayne O 04-01-2011 01:02 AM

Good Lord, don't worry about driving in the rain...enjoy your car!

Runnn 04-01-2011 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Marc V. (Post 1577221694)
Unless you took a Museum delivery, your car has been in the rain.

I bought my car to drive and enjoy, not be completely anal retentive about it. :hide:

Partially correct... my '07 LMB was a museum delivery but it was driven in the rain as the evening it came off the assembly line it was pouring. Also, some cars coming off the line get driven on BG's test track (not a real track but a test area for rattles, hums, etc) and, yes, mine was driven in the rain for an extended period that day. :(

WMark 04-01-2011 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Wayne O (Post 1577223204)
Good Lord, don't worry about driving in the rain...enjoy your car!

:iagree: I've had four Vettes living on a friggin' dirt road! All four Vettes have been on 4000 mile plus road trips all over the SW and Mid-West. Oh my god!! I ran into RAIN!!!!

Got good deals when I sold/traded the previous three Corvettes. Nobody every asked me if they had been rained on!

OP, drive the dang car!

:cheers:

Grzldvt1 04-01-2011 01:29 AM

Not a believer in any extra value for "Never Driven in the Rain crap."
A friend of mine was looking for a C5, and spotted a "very rare 98 Torch Red Convertible/Black Interior never driven in the rain."
We pull up and start checking out the car, nothing special at all.
First question - Why is this rare?
Him: They didn't make very many Red Convertibles with black interiors
Me: Yes they did it was the second most popular color combo built. The Torch red/Black interior hardtop was the most popular combo built- What else ya got?
Him, Oh I didn't know that
Me: Never driven in the rain - prove it?
Him - You have to take my word for it, it has only seen dry paved streets, not even puddles.
Me: Your taillight wiring harness is filthy and has mud on it:eek: what else ya got?
Me to friend - Offer him 7500 less than asking - reasonable for this car he is priced too high anyway.
Friend: He is interested at $14,500
Him: No way, not for a rare convertible
Me to my friend - Let's check out the other 99 Vert and see what it looks like.
Us: :seeya
Left and never turned back. He bought the 99 at a much lower price but it wasn't as rare :D

Me, my car gets driven in all weather and darn proud of it.

Rain
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=78215

Sleet
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=57760

Snow
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=78214

Detailed after each time
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/pict...ictureid=60763:seeya

Gering 04-01-2011 01:45 AM

Over 110,000 miles on my vet with many days of rain. IMO the worst thing would be to let your car set for long periods of time & poor maintenance. :thumbs:

JRHAWK9 04-01-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE (Post 1577221559)
I detail my Corvette meticulously. I only wash my DD .If I get caught in the rain with the Vette then so be it but I'll purposely wait for the sunny days to take her out. It's not a Garage Queen by any means (25K in 3 years).I just don't have the time to devote to constantly redetail it.

:iagree: It's an OCD thing but I agree.

MCSSLT1 04-01-2011 09:21 AM

It seems like the OP really put some serious thought into his post.......:lol:

ABQ C6 04-01-2011 09:36 AM

I hate driving in the rain because I have to reduce my speed by about 5 mph.:willy::rofl:

And snow... Holy cow!

C U IN REARVEIW 04-01-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by EVRose (Post 1577220289)
The only reason I don't like taking it out in the rain is because it will get dirty and then I'll have to wash it. Other than that, it's a car. They are made to work in the rain.

:iagree:i dont try and get it in the rain...but if it happens....oh well

LOUSVETTE 04-01-2011 09:47 AM

Just drive it

su8pack1 04-01-2011 09:53 AM

:willy:

sneezabit 04-01-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Capt Steve (Post 1577220303)
Drive it like you stole it.

:iagree: :woohoo:

Jerky 04-01-2011 10:01 AM

Mine is black, and we all know black is high maintenance. That said, I love driving my car so I used to not care if its raining, but lately I've been keeping it garaged when it's raining out of pure laziness of having to wash/wax/Zaino, etc.

dvilin 04-01-2011 10:03 AM

Just drive it, all this crap about not being driven in the rain adds nothing to the value. I mean people wash their Vettes with water, and who cares what they say, drive it and enjoy it,.

TheRedGS 04-01-2011 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mad*Max (Post 1577220279)

Is this a new color Chevy is coming out with? :rofl:

I don't drive my car in the rain, since I am lucky enough to have a second car to get dirty. The only problem I see with driving the vette in the rain is that it might be damaged due to acid rain.

Neil Baker 04-01-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac (Post 1577220180)
I have a fairly new GS and never want to take it out when it rains. My only reason for that is being brain washed on always seeing how people make a big deal when they sell a car stating that it has "never been driven in the rain". Is that really a big deal? Does it hurt the car in any ways? Does it add resale value? All my other vehicles get driven in the snow, salt, rain, mud, etc and still look like new vehicles. Do most of you take your vettes out in the rain?:confused2:

Don't save your car for the next guy! Enjoy it!!!:flag::cool:

Pauls72 04-01-2011 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheRedGS (Post 1577226221)
Is this a new color Chevy is coming out with? :rofl:

Road Salt Red?

cclive 04-01-2011 12:32 PM

What is this "driving" of which you speak? Surely you are not actually taking that car out of the garage????????:eek::eek:

StanNH 04-01-2011 01:02 PM

Just how would any potential buyer know how you've driven your car? How does not driving in the rain actually enhance the value of any car? It's exposed to moisture and water all the time; from routine washing to driving over puddles.

Driving in sun can effect your paint, as can driving in windy conditions, dust, and road grime. The only way to keep your car in new condition is to constantly keep it covered in a climate controlled environment. In real life, that's just not going to happen.

The C6 is a car that's made to be driven and enjoyed. Not doing so just negates the whole point of owning this vehicle. Certainly maintain it as carefully as you want, but at least go out and drive the thing. I can guarantee you that getting the car wet won't hurt it.