Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
Bryanwithy
CF Senior Member
 
Bryanwithy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Corona CA
Send a message via MSN to Bryanwithy
Default npp exhaust

since i have heard such wonderful things about the npp, i was wondering, and this may be a completely stupid question from a newbie.

can the npp exhaust be installed on the LS2. i ordered my car before finding this wonderful resource and although i KNOW i will be happy with my little "old" LS2 i had this question.

Bryanwithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
SunsetOrangeCreations
Premium Supporting Vendor
St. Jude Donor '13
 
SunsetOrangeCreations's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Default

Here is link to the post about adding the z06 bi mode exhaust to a ls2.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1726443

I am in the process of doing it.

I didnt want to buy an 08 for the exhaust so I'm putting in 3" Z06 exhaust instead! Ha.

BTW the zo6 mufflers are 2.5" inlet. The Zo6 pipes neck down to 2.5 into the mufflers.
Gm just reused the same mufflers and used 2.5" pipe from the cats to the mufflers on the 08 ls3 npp system.

I am using a corsa 2.5" to 3" x-pipe to mate the ls2 cats to the z06 mufflers. I am using all gm vacuum tubing so no fab work is needed.
The valves will need a manual switch or a NPP / Z06 Exhaust Commander switch to operate like a stock z06 or NPP but that is not too difficult.

Good Luck on the install!
__________________


Exhaust Commander Elite is HERE!
Control your bi-mode exhaust using your Corvette keyfob and door lock button!
www.exhaustcommander.com

NPP Bi-mode exhaust vacuum retrofit kits -> Exhaust Commander All-in-1 bi-mode retrofit kit.

My Online Store -> See all my Bi-mode Exhaust Controller Products!

Last edited by SunsetOrangeCreations; 09-11-2007 at 10:39 PM.
SunsetOrangeCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
NORTY
CF Senior Member
 
NORTY's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Carlsbad Ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanwithy View Post
since i have heard such wonderful things about the npp, i was wondering, and this may be a completely stupid question from a newbie.
No such thing as a "stupid question" only an unanswered one.
Quote:

can the npp exhaust be installed on the LS2. i ordered my car before finding this wonderful resource and although i KNOW i will be happy with my little "old" LS2 i had this question.

You would need to retrofit the LS3 electronics also. It would be a project for sure. Problematic probably also.
Now, if you acquired the NPP plumbing and installed a "mild to wild" switch, eliminating the electronics...

Be sure you hear the new system before to jump ahead with this. You may find better sound in the aftermarket. Since you're in Cali, don't forget about future smog testing.
__________________
8 pistons to move me, and 20 pistons to slow me down...
NORTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
talon90
Moderator
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Default

Mechanically the NPP will bolt right on, no problem. The problem comes down to the operation of the butterfly valves. The exhaust takes its cue from the throttle position sensor and rpm gage. The NPP also operates on vacuum pressure to actuate the butterfly valve and you won't have the requisite vacuum storage or pressure lines to cause it to operate. At the end of the day, it will be an "always open system" until someone comes out with an aftermarket control strategy.

Paul
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:38 AM   #5
hawkeyefan
CF Senior Member
 
hawkeyefan's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: Davenport IA
Send a message via Yahoo to hawkeyefan
Default

I would suspect that it would be a very difficult task given one thread I recently read. It is a thread where a forum user just received their 2008 car but it was missing the NPP exhaust. It appeared that the dealership felt it was way too complicated adding NPP to a non-NPP car so they ordered them a new car instead.
hawkeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
robl45
CF Senior Member
 
robl45's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Deerfield beach Fl
Default

I think that was more of an issue of they got a brand new car and didn't want it being manhandled by the dealership although I haven't read the whole thread. But seriously, some dolt will come along and point out that the npp wasn't original on the car and who wants to buy a new car and deal wtih that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
I would suspect that it would be a very difficult task given one thread I recently read. It is a thread where a forum user just received their 2008 car but it was missing the NPP exhaust. It appeared that the dealership felt it was way too complicated adding NPP to a non-NPP car so they ordered them a new car instead.
robl45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
Pipedreams
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '06-'07
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Shore, NY 11706 MILD2WILD (M2W)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon90 View Post
The NPP also operates on vacuum pressure to actuate the butterfly valve and you won't have the requisite vacuum storage or pressure lines to cause it to operate. At the end of the day, it will be an "always open system" until someone comes out with an aftermarket control strategy.

Paul
I am working on something to make this happen
Pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
ben dover
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
ben dover's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. TX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipedreams View Post
I am working on something to make this happen
There you go - Ed's the man.
ben dover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
talon90
Moderator
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipedreams View Post
I am working on something to make this happen
I didn't want to give away the secret.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
talon90
Moderator
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben dover View Post
There you go - Ed's the man.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #11
jschindler
CF Senior Member
 
jschindler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Default

It can be installed on an older car if you don't mind operating it manually. I have a friend who has done it, and I watched him open and close it - so I know it can be done.
__________________
Jim

SOLD FEB 2012 - NO LONGER A CORVETTE OWNER, out riding my motorcycles


Previous Corvettes: 94 Coupe, 01 Coupe, 03 Vert, 05 Coupe, 05 Vert, 08 Coupe, 09 Z06
Current daily drivers: '12 BMW 550 M-Sport (Mine), 14 Lexus GS350(wifes)
Current toys:13 BMW K1600 GT, 12 Ducati Panigale, 11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 AM   #12
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Wayne O's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Default

Anything's an improvement over the weak, stock C6 exhaust but IMO you can do better than the NPP exhaust. IMO unless you just like the sound of the NPP exhaust (compared to other systems) I'd find an after-market exhaust you like and go with that....have your Corvette sound 'good' all the time...not part time. I'd hardly worry about an after-market exhaust negatively affecting resale value.
__________________
2005 Corvette C6 Coupe
Magnetic Red Metallic II/Cashmere, MN6, 1SB, F55
Lingenfelter 403 Conversion, LG Pro Headers (coated), Corsa Sport Exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, Accusump, LGM Coil-Over Suspension & Bump-Steer Kit, T1 Sway Bars, Pfadt Control Arm Bushing Kit, Elite Eng. Tunnel Plate & Oil Catch-Can, SKF Racing Hubs/Bearings, AP Racing Brakes, DRM Brake Ducts, Custom Roll Bar, Sparco Seats, Wide-Booty, CCW C10 Wheels,
Setup: LG Motorsports

Thanks to: 21st Century Muscle Cars
Wayne O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
ohmy
CF Senior Member
 
ohmy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Central NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne O View Post
Anything's an improvement over the weak, stock C6 exhaust but IMO you can do better than the NPP exhaust. IMO unless you just like the sound of the NPP exhaust (compared to other systems) I'd find an after-market exhaust you like and go with that....have your Corvette sound 'good' all the time...not part time. I'd hardly worry about an after-market exhaust negatively affecting resale value.
ohmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #14
Ken Erickson
CF Senior Member
 
Ken Erickson's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2002
Location: Willis TX
Default

For those of us that like to stay on the good side of our neighbors the NPP (or any A/M bimodal exhaust systems) makes sense when it comes to changing the Corvette sound. I just donít want to hear my neighbor pounding on my door complaining about my waking them up at O dark thirty every morning while leaving for work.
Ken Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #15
jschindler
CF Senior Member
 
jschindler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne O View Post
Anything's an improvement over the weak, stock C6 exhaust but IMO you can do better than the NPP exhaust. IMO unless you just like the sound of the NPP exhaust (compared to other systems) I'd find an after-market exhaust you like and go with that....have your Corvette sound 'good' all the time...not part time. I'd hardly worry about an after-market exhaust negatively affecting resale value.
Wayne, have you spent any time driving an 08 with the NPP? I have. And I've had three Corvettes with B&B Bullets (and one with B&B PRTs). I've heard most of the other aftermarket exhausts as well. The NPP sounds as good as any of them, in my opinion. And you CAN have the sound all the time. For about $18, I put a switch in my circuit. I have have the good sound all the time, and turn it to quiet for those times I don't want it louder.

GM hit a grand slam with this option. From the posts I've seen, most of the people voting against it have never driven one. I've now got about 1200 miles on my car - about 900 with the exhausts open all the time. To me, there are absolutely no negatives to this system - only positives.
__________________
Jim

SOLD FEB 2012 - NO LONGER A CORVETTE OWNER, out riding my motorcycles


Previous Corvettes: 94 Coupe, 01 Coupe, 03 Vert, 05 Coupe, 05 Vert, 08 Coupe, 09 Z06
Current daily drivers: '12 BMW 550 M-Sport (Mine), 14 Lexus GS350(wifes)
Current toys:13 BMW K1600 GT, 12 Ducati Panigale, 11 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #16
ohmy
CF Senior Member
 
ohmy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Central NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschindler View Post
Wayne, have you spent any time driving an 08 with the NPP? I have. And I've had three Corvettes with B&B Bullets (and one with B&B PRTs). I've heard most of the other aftermarket exhausts as well. The NPP sounds as good as any of them, in my opinion. And you CAN have the sound all the time. For about $18, I put a switch in my circuit. I have have the good sound all the time, and turn it to quiet for those times I don't want it louder.

GM hit a grand slam with this option. From the posts I've seen, most of the people voting against it have never driven one. I've now got about 1200 miles on my car - about 900 with the exhausts open all the time. To me, there are absolutely no negatives to this system - only positives.
I can't say that I have had the fortune to own as many Vettes as you have, but I did my fair share of research by listening to other owners Vettes at car shows and gatherings, I also got a chance to listen to an NPP exhaust at a semi-local dealership last week (for those of you in the central Jersey location, Oasis chevrolet).

With that said, I can say without any doubt or reservations, that the NPP sound doesnt even come close to the Borlas!!! The NPP sounds like a sick Corsa with thin walls. I can't believe anyone would like them. Grand Slam for GM - HA!!! Its more like a foul ball that went over the wall and hit an old lady in the head!!!

Anyway, in the end it's just personal opinion, yours is as good as mine, but I can tell you that NPP will never be found on my Vette...

BTW, for those folks that are concerned about your neighbors - stick with the base exhaust for your Vette - I found that the NPP is very loud at start up, just as loud as aftermarket exhaust. Also, when pulling into your driveway, aftermarket exhaust is no louder...

Last edited by ohmy; 07-19-2007 at 11:01 AM.
ohmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
jschindler
CF Senior Member
 
jschindler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmy View Post
I can't say that I have had the fortune to own as many Vettes as you have, but I did my fair share of research by listening to other owners Vettes at car shows and gatherings, I also got a chance to listen to an NPP exhaust at a semi-local dealership last week (for those of you in the central Jersey location, Oasis chevrolet).

With that said, I can say without any doubt or reservations, that the NPP sound doesnt even come close to the Borlas!!! The NPP sounds like a sick Corsa with thin walls. I can't believe anyone would like them. Grand Slam for GM - HA!!! Its more like a foul ball that went over the wall and hit an old lady in the head!!!

Anyway, in the end it's just personal opinion, yours is as good as mine, but I can tell you that NPP will never be found on my Vette...
Did you ride in the cars, or just listen to them standing still? While I agree that it is all subjective, I've ridden in two different C6's with Corsa Sports. One of them I rode in for about three hours -much of it very spirited driving. I can assure you that the NPP sounds much deeper than they do. These are very close to the Bullets I had just. I also suspect you did not listen to the NPP's with the fuse pulled.

If you feel you have heard them enough to make a fair comparison, I will say that yes, it's subjective and I would not tell you or anyone else is wrong. Just be sure to give them a fair chance before ruling them out. I can tell you that based on my rides in cars with Corsas that I have always considered them a total waste of money - I hope that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from.
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM   #18
ohmy
CF Senior Member
 
ohmy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Location: Central NJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschindler View Post
Did you ride in the cars, or just listen to them standing still? While I agree that it is all subjective, I've ridden in two different C6's with Corsa Sports. One of them I rode in for about three hours -much of it very spirited driving. I can assure you that the NPP sounds much deeper than they do. These are very close to the Bullets I had just. I also suspect you did not listen to the NPP's with the fuse pulled.

If you feel you have heard them enough to make a fair comparison, I will say that yes, it's subjective and I would not tell you or anyone else is wrong. Just be sure to give them a fair chance before ruling them out. I can tell you that based on my rides in cars with Corsas that I have always considered them a total waste of money - I hope that gives you an idea of where I'm coming from.
I heard Borlas inside and outside the car, Corsas and NPP outside only. The Borlas to me are like the definition of what a car like this should sound like. I did not care for the Corsas and NPP - too raspy/tinny, not deep/mellow enough. But, I don't disagree with you that I should drive in the car to finalize my opinion, and I probably will do that. But with that said, and knowing that Borlas are a bit cheaper than NPP, very easy to install, look great, and sound absolutely incredible, I think my money is on the Borlas.

BTW, I hate the NPP split personality thing. I know that its a plus for many people, but I just see it as a gimmick that has no place on a sports car. And honestly, as far as the neighbors are concerned, NPP is NOT that quiet, like I said in my previous post, the start up is LOUD, so if people think that this will make their neighbors happy - think again...
ohmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:31 PM   #19
talon90
Moderator
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10
Support Corvetteforum!
 
talon90's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream View Post
Its very easy to get the vacuum to work. I bought all the gm vacuum piping, electric vacuum solenoid and storage canister from a z06. Its all plug and play no fab needed, except to run a wire from the vac solenoid to the fuse panel in the passenger footwell.

Its just the rpm actuating of the valves that is harder to do. But not really that hard, I'm just using a MSD RPM Switch to open the circuit to the vac solenoid at a specifed RPM. So it opens at say 3000 rpm and the valves open, or hit the mild to wild switch and they are open all the time. There you go....

In the end it works 90% the same as the z06 or NPP. Just not using the BCM signals for the valve operation so no comp mode and regular mode.
Nice job. Not something I would have attempted.
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #20
MThomas
CF Senior Member
 
MThomas's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2000
Location: Cols. Ohio
Mark Thomas
Send a message via AIM to MThomas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschindler View Post
Wayne, have you spent any time driving an 08 with the NPP? I have. And I've had three Corvettes with B&B Bullets (and one with B&B PRTs). I've heard most of the other aftermarket exhausts as well. The NPP sounds as good as any of them, in my opinion. And you CAN have the sound all the time. For about $18, I put a switch in my circuit. I have have the good sound all the time, and turn it to quiet for those times I don't want it louder.

GM hit a grand slam with this option. From the posts I've seen, most of the people voting against it have never driven one. I've now got about 1200 miles on my car - about 900 with the exhausts open all the time. To me, there are absolutely no negatives to this system - only positives.
Jim......
MThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:24 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page npp exhaust
Reply

Tags
bimode, c6, commander, comparison, controller, corvette, covrette, definition, exaust, exhaust, install, mild2wild, npp, operation, option, stock


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 PM.


Emails & Password Backup