Sponsored by:

[Z06] Video: Nurburgring Lap in Corvette C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Supersonic_ZR1
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Video: Nurburgring Lap in Corvette C5 Z06

Found this article on LSXTV. Pay special attention to the third paragraph.

By Paul Huizenga on May 16, 2012

Racing legend Jackie Stewart called it “the Green Hell,” and for today’s serious performance enthusiasts, Germany’s Nürburgring race circuit is still the gold standard for performance. OEM’s prove their cars have what it takes by comparing ‘Ring lap times, and the circuit’s Nordschleife loop is open to anyone who has the 26 Euros and the guts to put the hammer down. Drawing enthusiasts from all over the world, the infamous circuit boasts almost 13 miles of twisting pavement that caters to thousands of “Touristenfahrten” every year, and in this video we see what it’s like to lap the ‘Ring in a C5 Z06.

The penalties for an off-track excursion can be severe – while the ‘Ring is technically a public toll road, if you pitch your car into the weeds, you will be held responsible for the cost of repairs to the barriers, and even the toll revenue lost if the track must be closed to clean up your mess. But, as one of the world’s great historic race tracks and the litmus test for factory performance, the Nürburgring will continue to draw enthusiasts from around the world to test themselves against this legendary stretch of pavement.

May we suggest that, unless you are particularly well-financed, you satisfy yourself by watching this video of what it’s like, rather than spending the money yourself?

Last edited by Supersonic_ZR1; 05-17-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Spelling...
The following users liked this post:
vette638 (09-26-2020)
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

The penalties for an off-track excursion can be severe – while the ‘Ring is technically a public toll road, if you pitch your car into the weeds, you will be held responsible for the cost of repairs to the barriers, and even the toll revenue lost if the track must be closed to clean up your mess.
Ouch ... that wouldn't be good.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:02 AM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving the Ring in a C5Z is TOTALLY worth it and is an amazing experience. I'm lucky enough to live a couple of hours away and have had my Z on the track many times.

BTW- I met Jan Magnussen and Tommy Milner there in the pits at VLN a couple of weekends ago. They were running the C6R. Both were super nice guys and were really open and cool about the cars and racing in general.

Jan said that he practiced for his record-breaking run in the C6Z by driving a C5Z
Old 05-17-2012, 03:56 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I would LOVE to do that. Unfortunately I have to settle for GT5 and my driving rig mistakes are cheaper I suppose......
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome video but good lord is he running on winter tires????!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Seemed like his tires howled a lot more than I'd expect.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:52 PM
Dennis Wilson
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Seemed like his tires howled a lot more than I'd expect.
The tire noise didn`t seem to match the video at times. Very cool though!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Not the best example of driving technique, one handed, and no feeling for the brakes. Or that was a good example of how a Z handles when too low, with poor driving technique.

Mark
Old 05-18-2012, 03:18 AM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

I think his tires were definitely on their last cords, underinflated or both. He went sideways alot more than I ever have while running quite a bit slower than I would.

Funny thing about the Ring- you've got like six different types of road surface, some old, some brand new and some in between. Also, it's 20km around and the whole area is a patchwork of microclimates so you can and will see sunny and dry when you start with a downpour 10km through, then dry again. Really keeps you on your toes.

There hasn't been a single time that I was driving there that I haven't seen a car or multiple bikes hauled off the track after a wreck. I was there 10/10/10 and I think we counted 15 bikes wrecked...
Old 05-18-2012, 04:01 AM
Berserker
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nürburgring

Hi, it was me driving in this video.
I imported the car from US and got it the day before this video, new car to me, and I have been on the track one weekend in 2011, so I'm not experienced at all.
The tires in front are Goodyear F1 (like from factory), but they are produced in '07, so I will change this week before going down to the ring again next weekend. The tire in back are Continental Extreme Contact, new ones, but not good though. The mic are in the trunk, so it's the rear tires that you hear. I will probably equip the Z with Toyo R888 now, and new brakes, the car has a mileage of 27K miles and yes, I have a crazy driving style with one hand...
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2012, 04:05 AM
BlueTeamZ06
Racer

AWESOME! Have a great trip to the Ring! Toyos are great tires on the track but watch it in the rain.

BTW- Pfadt just opened up a shop in Adenau a few minutes from the Ring so you might check with them for suspension upgrades.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

Its great to see that the C5Z is getting recognized enough to be imported. As you become more adjusted to the Z, and get the Z setup for your style the joy of driving it will only increase. Just keep an eye on the trans/diff temps. When I had my car in europe in 03, it only took about 15 min at 230k before getting over heat warning for the trans, I be leave that all export Corvettes had the trans cooler installed. but I'm sure you all ready know that.

Enjoy the ride.

Mark
Old 05-19-2012, 05:54 AM
madcow02
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Berserker
I imported the car from US and got it the day before this video, new car to me, and I have been on the track one weekend in 2011, so I'm not experienced at all.
The tires in front are Goodyear F1 (like from factory), but they are produced in '07, so I will change this week before going down to the ring again next weekend. The tire in back are Continental Extreme Contact, new ones, but not good though. The mic are in the trunk, so it's the rear tires that you hear. I will probably equip the Z with Toyo R888 now, and new brakes, the car has a mileage of 27K miles and yes, I have a crazy driving style with one hand...
That was great to watch! Thanks for posting i enjoyed every moment
Old 05-19-2012, 03:56 PM
hxrly
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Berserker
Great looking car, but please use both hands on the steering wheel. One hand is definitely not ok for high speed driving.

The Nürburgring is my favorite track that I've never had a chance to drive, so I've logged hours and hours playing it on games.

Here's my C5 Z06 in the Ring, on GT5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQSVZk4dBc
Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Supersonic_ZR1
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hxrly
Great looking car, but please use both hands on the steering wheel. One hand is definitely not ok for high speed driving.

The Nürburgring is my favorite track that I've never had a chance to drive, so I've logged hours and hours playing it on games.

Here's my C5 Z06 in the Ring, on GT5.

Embedded video for you. Thanks for posting.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM
98DC231
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic_ZR1
Embedded video for you. Thanks for posting.
I can't play GT5 based on how horrible the car SFX is. That doesn't sound even remotely close.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:35 PM
ericsfrc
Intermediate

Interesting to see the C5Z on the "Ring". But I am afraid for your long term health with that kind of driving style.

Get notified of new replies

To Video: Nurburgring Lap in Corvette C5 Z06

Old 05-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We love the Nürburgring too! Here is some footage we took the last time we visited Pfadt Europe. With the Pfadt Europe shop so close to the entrance to the Nürburgring we figured this was a great opportunity to get some footage of the Pfadt Europe Nürburgring Rental, equipped with the Johnny O'Connell package.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Berserker
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default C5 Z06 Nürburgring

I had a new weekend on the ring, same old tires.
http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=m...?v=6qaAQ445qPQ
Old 06-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Berserker
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Default C5 Z06 Spa Francorchamps

Had a day at the F1 track in Belgium, never tried this track live nor on PS, but real fun done it.
I will race Monza June 15th, and Imola June 17th.

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=m...?v=a1hhSq1yy5k

Quick Reply: [Z06] Video: Nurburgring Lap in Corvette C5 Z06