Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Radiator Flush /coolant change?

Old 02-12-2004, 06:41 PM
lbitp37
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Flush /coolant change?

I have heard of many problems if you don,t do it correct. !

Please detail the correct method. Thanks.

:confused:
Old 02-12-2004, 06:43 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Radiator Flush /coolant change? (lbitp37)

:cheers: Really not a big deal unless you have the dreaded DexCool!

You have a 92? I don't think you have dexcool!

There should be a drain plug at the bottom of the Rad!

Drain the old, add the new! If you want to flush it, you can use the flush kit or you can take it somewhere that has the flush machine.

Biggest problem is to be sure, when you refill, that you get the air out of the upper radiator hose. Some later models have a shrader valve in the thermo housing for this purpose. I wait till engine is hot then slowly open hose clamp at thermo end till fluid comes out

:seeya

:steering:

[Modified by jackdaroofer, 6:48 PM 2/12/2004]

[Modified by jackdaroofer, 6:49 PM 2/12/2004]
Old 02-12-2004, 09:34 PM
RUSS105
Instructor

Default Re: Radiator Flush /coolant change? (jackdaroofer)

Had my 84 flushed this month. A common problem after the flush is that you will need to change the thermastat. :steering:
Old 02-13-2004, 09:12 AM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Just remember to burp her , may take several times....
Old 02-13-2004, 09:19 AM
86_RedRider
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '05

Default Re: Radiator Flush /coolant change? (vinnies87)

if you want to get all of it out, you may have to pull the knock sensor or keep flushing until clear. remember to fill with distilled water. i drilled to small holes in the thermostat for self burping purposes, or you can just start your car, run it to ~200 degrees, shut down, let cool, and repeat 4 times.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:50 PM
t199051
Advanced

Default Re: Radiator Flush /coolant change? (86_RedRider)

In my 92 the dealership put dexcol back into the system after they flushed it. I asked a couple of people there and the corvette expert and he said it came with it from the factory. So just make sure you run the right coolant, mine got mixed and turned brown and sludged up.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:12 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Flush /coolant change? (t199051)

In my 92 the dealership put dexcol back into the system after they flushed it. I asked a couple of people there and the corvette expert and he said it came with it from the factory. So just make sure you run the right coolant, mine got mixed and turned brown and sludged up.
:confused: In my 92 it had the "green" factory installed coolant. Anyhow, there are 2 bleed screws on the 92...one on the thermostat housing and the other under the TB (partily hidden) on the drivers side. Be sure you open them up on the draining process and use them to get rid of the air on the refill. BTW, be sure to put a rag under both as they will stream coolant on your opti if your not careful.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:35 PM
sraft
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Radiator Flush /coolant change? (ittlfly)

My '94 was converted to Dexcool, but we pulled the knock sensors and THOROUGHLY flushed the green stuff out first. That was almost 2 years ago and so far there are zero signs of problems. My system had the brown sludge in there before I converted to Dexcool, and at first I was concerned, but now I'm convinced that the sludge is the residue of the clay sealing pellets that GM adds to the cooling system. I suspect that a lot of people are mistaking the clay as an indicator that there's something wrong with the cooling system.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:32 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Drain the coolant from the radiator using the plug at the lower right corner. Remove the radiator cap from the expansion tank. You should also remove both knock sensors from each side of the bottom of the block. They are right above the oil pan rail just behind the mounts. Drain the coolant from the overflow bottle in the right front headlamp well and leave it empty. Clean it if necessary. Check the hoses for soft spots or cracking. Replace any hose if suspect.

Fill the system after closing the petcock and replacing the knock sensors. Bring the temp up to at least 150 and shut off the motor. Let it cool and drain. Do twice. Don't use cooling system cleaners. Plain water should work fine.

After draining the 2nd flush, close everything up and add 2 gallons of a good ethelyne glycol (green) coolant. I have always used Prestone in my cars and it seems to work. Use distilled water for the remainder of the fill and that should be about 2 more gallons. NOTE: you can use distilled water for the flush steps. It's cheap and available at grocery stores for less than a buck a gallon.

As you are filling the system, open the 2 bleed valves. One is on the throttle body and the other is on the thermostat cover. Look for a brass screw. Keep the coolant from falling onto the OptiSpark!! I use some aluminum foil to fashion a trough to keep the coolant away.

Once a steady stream of fluid flows from the bleed valves, close them and fill the expansion tank to the neck and start the motor. Keep a close eye on the level in the tank and the temp gauge. As the thermostat opens, the water level should drop dramatically so have more distilled water available to top off the tank. You may have to bleed the system one more time to insure that all of the air pockets are gone.

Make sure the water level is right at the base of the tank neck and replace the pressure cap. If your cap is the original, you might want to consider a new one. Fill the overflow tank with a 50/50 mix to the Cold mark.

The 92 Service Manual says not to do any high RPM operation until you have done 3 complete temp cycles of cold to operating temp to cold. This is probably to make sure that air pockets are gone.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:26 PM
ittlfly
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Flush /coolant change? (c4cruiser)

:iagree: What he said! :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Flush /coolant change?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radiator Flush /coolant change?