Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using LS2 block safe for road race build?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 PM
blueekb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Using LS2 block safe for road race build?

Looks like i'm going to get an engine built to replace my blown LS6. Engine builder says he has a used LS2 block he'll sell me for same price as new 5.3 block. I know i've heard of oiling issues in the past for LS2 and 3's on track. Is the problem in the block? Or am I safe to use this LS2 block to get a few extra cubes with built bottom end and my LS6 heads?

Also builder says he uses C6 oil pans instead of my C5 pan for better oiling. Is that the norm and good call? I had not heard of using a C6 oil pan.

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I was in the same situation. I finally lost my forged LS6 383 after years of reliable road course fun and decided to replace it with a forged LS2. It was the right decision! Excellent power and torque - reliable performance. A guy that lives in my area has been running a mostly stock LS2 in his C6 and he's been taking on the road courses for years now with just basic maintenance. Go for it! Mike
Old 06-03-2014, 09:55 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

It ain't the block, they use them in the Nascar K&N Series and spin them 7600-7800 to get about 620 HP (dry sump). The problem is oil control using a stock type pan with sticky tires and enduring long high g corners.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

And I've NEVER heard of the C6 pan being better than the C5's batwing pan.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:07 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
And I've NEVER heard of the C6 pan being better than the C5's batwing pan.
I'd like to hear a little more about that too. Just blew my forged LS6 and I'm getting ready to install a forged LS2 408.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are tracking car on sticky tires, need to invest in a drysump system. Accusump as a minimum. There's a reason gm went to drysump oil system with the ls7 and ls3 grandsport manual trans. (Even the factory ones don't compare to something from the aftermarket guys)

Look to speak to guys running those ASA stock cars. They usually run LS motors with a one stage or up to 3 or 4 stage drysump systems.

If you have the money for a forged motor, most track guys are going to recommend going with a more stock motor and spend your money on a drysump system and seat time.

Would hate to see you spend 10k+ on a forged motor just to be disappointed when it lets go on a right hand sweeper at the track.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by andy3101
If you are tracking car on sticky tires, need to invest in a drysump system. Accusump as a minimum.
+1 I had a Canton Racing 3-Quart Oil Accusump system installed to protect my LS2. Definitely worth the investment.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you want to be "safe" the only LS motors that don't need a dry sump are the LS1/LS6's it's plain and simple.

There are some people that have had LS2's and LS3's live without a dry sump but it all depends on the individual. What tires are they running? How hard are they driving? How high are they spinning it?

Someone who is running R888's spinning it to 6500 and not breaking any lap records would probably be fine running a LS2 without a dry-sump - Danny Popp driving angry on sticker A6's going for his next lap record not so much.

Be honest with yourself, how hard are you going to drive the car? Will you be happy not running the stickiest of R-compounds? If so you may be able to run an LS2 with the C5 oil pan and a Accusump, if not start pricing out a dry sump.

And if you are even thinking about it
Aero = Dry sump
Old 06-04-2014, 01:40 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
Be honest with yourself, how hard are you going to drive the car? Will you be happy not running the stickiest of R-compounds?
I've competed against him and he definitely gets up on the wheel.
Based on his current car prep vs. lap times, I would consider him to be one of the quickest/best drivers I've run against in quite a while.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 PM
blueekb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I've competed against him and he definitely gets up on the wheel.
Based on his current car prep vs. lap times, I would consider him to be one of the quickest/best drivers I've run against in quite a while.
Wow thank you for the compliment. I'm almost embarrassed lol.

Looks like engine builder wants $8500 now total. I'm probably looking at crate LS6 again. Like was said above I don't want to spend that kind of money and blow up again. I can't afford a dry sump. Hell I can't afford a new motor right now but I can't stay away from the track crack for that long.

I think i'll start looking into an accusump.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should check out schwanke engines. Their short blocks are pretty decent for prices...

Get notified of new replies

To Using LS2 block safe for road race build?

Quick Reply: Using LS2 block safe for road race build?