C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition switch/button problem.....I think

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default Ignition switch/button problem.....I think

I started the car and was pulling out of a gas station and the car quit. I fooled around with the button pushing it (nothing) then acc then back again and after several tries it started. I get driving down the road (about 6 miles on I10) and the car engine quits again and I rolled to a stop.

This time I push the starter button and it turns over, but it is like there is no spark.....it just turns over like all the spark plug wires are disconnected......I lift my finger off of the starter button and the motor keeps turning over, so then I have to press the lower left portion of the button to get it to stop turning the engine over........the dang button switch stuck! I am at a loss other than I probably need a new starter button switch, but would something in the starter switch somehow cause the motor to have no spark to start it?

The motor turns over, but like the distributor (on an older car) had the coil wire removed....no spark/power to the plugs and then the button sticking too. ????????????
Old 07-21-2013, 09:16 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I doubt its a bad start switch. Sounds more like a bad fuel pump relay or something.
As far as the start switch goes its normal operation for the engine to keep turning over after you let go of the button. You only need to push and immediately let go of it to start the car. You do not need to hold the button down until the engine starts.
Also there is no lower left or right position on the switch. Only top to start and bottom to stop/acc mode.

Last edited by EVRose; 07-21-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:50 AM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Starter Button/Switch

Originally Posted by EVRose
I doubt its a bad start switch. Sounds more like a bad fuel pump relay or something.
As far as the start switch goes its normal operation for the engine to keep turning over after you let go of the button. You only need to push and immediately let go of it to start the car. You do not need to hold the button down until the engine starts.
Also there is no lower left or right position on the switch. Only top to start and bottom to stop/acc mode.
I should clarify my post, the switch positions are as you stated Start/Stop/Acc. I honestly did not think of the engine continuing to turn over if it does not fire (I never had that happen before), so I stand corrected again. I know the car is suppose to have a Magnavolt fuel pump upgrade, so I will redirect my thoughts there. Thanks for the corrections.

After re-checking it this morning, it is definitely an electrical issue.

Last edited by secrt0007agt; 07-21-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:49 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Default Ignition problem.....not

It was the Magnavolt Fuel Pump Booster......replaced runs fine.

Last edited by secrt0007agt; 07-23-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:24 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Cool! Glad you figured it out.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:48 PM
secrt0007agt
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '15

Default The FIX

Originally Posted by EVRose
Cool! Glad you figured it out.
I would love to claim it, but a very good mechanic found the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition switch/button problem.....I think

Quick Reply: Ignition switch/button problem.....I think