C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help!!! Shifter won't slide into reverse & parking brake dash light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help!!! Shifter won't slide into reverse & parking brake dash light stays on

I'm having an issue in my '00 C5, shifter will not slide into reverse/lockout solenoid stuck. I removed the trans to replace worn out reverse parts (reverse syncho, blocker ring and gear were bad) and installed a new reverse lock solenoid. At the same time, I replaced the front wheel hub assemblies, all four brake rotors & pads and installed steel braided brake lines. Bleed the brakes thoroughly. When all was finished and ready for a test drive, I reversed out of the garage just fine. While on a short 8 mile test drive I noticed the parking brake light in the dash stayed on and the speedometer was not working. Back in the garage I noticed the speedo sensor connector on the diff was unplugged. I plugged it in and was going to take it out again, but now the shifter will not slide over into the reverse gate and the parking brake dash light will not turn off still with ignition on and/or the car running. Checked the parking brake assembly and little blue connector (all looks good) and under the car I checked all the connectors from the black harness running along the torque tube which were disconnected during rearend removal (reverse lockout & one on each side of trans, speedo sensor on the diff, each one to the rear brakes, fuel pump ground, and one on rear passenger side framerail).

What in the world could've caused the reverse lockout to stay stuck all of a sudden? It is a brand new part.

Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

May not be all electrical. About a month ago I helped a friend install a new shifter in his '01.

Worked for a few days before he started having problems getting it into reverse. When we took a look, we found the bolt that connects the shift rod to the shifter was not torqued adequately. The rod not only goes back and forth, but also turns or rotates when you cross gates. The bolt which was not tight enough was allowing the shift rod to turn in the shifter collar just enough to not allow enough turn to get it into reverse. Took the bolt out, relaigned the shifter, inserted the bolt with some loctite, and torued it to 22 lb/ft. No problems since.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:19 AM
R6cowboy
Racer

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
May not be all electrical. About a month ago I helped a friend install a new shifter in his '01.

Worked for a few days before he started having problems getting it into reverse. When we took a look, we found the bolt that connects the shift rod to the shifter was not torqued adequately. The rod not only goes back and forth, but also turns or rotates when you cross gates. The bolt which was not tight enough was allowing the shift rod to turn in the shifter collar just enough to not allow enough turn to get it into reverse. Took the bolt out, relaigned the shifter, inserted the bolt with some loctite, and torued it to 22 lb/ft. No problems since.
The bolt connecting the shift rod to the shifter looked ok, but I'll back it out and retorque it to make sure. Thanks for the input.

Also, "service active handling and traction control" was shown on the DIC when I first started the car before the initial test drive. Not sure if that would have anything to do with not allowing the shifter to slide into reverse but it didn't at first. Going to check and record codes this afternoon and clear them to see if that helps.

Anyone else have ideas?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Originally Posted by pickleseimer

Backed out the bolt and reinstalled it at 22 lb/ft. Now shifts in reverse nicely. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help!!! Shifter won't slide into reverse & parking brake dash light stays on

Quick Reply: Please Help!!! Shifter won't slide into reverse & parking brake dash light stays on