C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil coolers have me confused!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:25 PM
ChRpin VETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil coolers have me confused!

Hello there I have an 05 c6 with the z51 package. Believe it or not I just found out my car has the oil coolers which I previously thought was exclusive on the zo6.

So I bought my car wrecked with damage in the front. I have since repaired it and added the widebody in the process. So I am wondering are these oil coolers external or internal. I see the engine, power steering and tranny lines going to my radiator. My question is what does the oil cooler look like?
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check in front of the radiator on the right side, I think it is there.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:33 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I have an '05 Z51 too but I don't know if I have the oil cooler or not. I seem to remember reading that they came on manual tranny only and I have an A4 but I'm not sure if I'm right or not. I don't know what they look like either.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

On the backside of the radiator, at the top and bottom of the plastic end tanks....if you have hard lines entering the top and bottom of the passenger side tank you have a trans cooler. If you have hard lines entering the top and bottom of the driver side, you have an engine oil cooler...applies to 2005-2007. In 2008 the engine oil cooler moved to to an external unit located forward of the radiator.

Check your glove box for RPO Code "KPS"

KPS Cooler - Oil, Engine

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 01-01-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:25 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
I seem to remember reading that they came on manual tranny only and I have an A4 but I'm not sure if I'm right or not. I don't know what they look like either.
You are correct, they come on the Z51 Manual only.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:46 PM
ChRpin VETT
Racer

ok so oil coolers are just the fact that there are lines going into the radiator from the engine tranny and power steering? That constitutes having oil coolers?

And also will a zo6 radiator replace the radiator I have now on my c6 with the tranny and engine coolers with no problem?
Old 01-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Motorhead-47
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ChRpin VETT
ok so oil coolers are just the fact that there are lines going into the radiator from the engine tranny and power steering? That constitutes having oil coolers?

And also will a zo6 radiator replace the radiator I have now on my c6 with the tranny and engine coolers with no problem?
The power steering cooler on the Z51 has nothing to do with the radiator. It mounts behind the radiator on the cross member just forward of the steering rack.

It looks like this...

Engine oil coolers on our Vettes are either fluid-to-fluid heat exchangers or air-to-fluid. Beginning in 2008 manual transmission Z51 cars had this air-to-oil cooler which mounted forward of the radiator on the driver's side.

A common upgrade to the smaller Z51 oil cooler shown above is the Z06 cooler (below). While the Z51 cooler is only 7" wide, the Z06 cooler is a full 22" wide and spans the entire width of the radiator. It is a direct replacement for the smaller Z51 cooler. It uses the same oil lines as the external Z51 cooler and uses the same mounting holes on the driver's side. You do have to add two holes on the passenger side of the plastic baffle for the mounting bolts...easy enough.

The Z06 radiator DOES NOT have an internal engine oil cooler, only a transmission cooler. The general consensus is that 2005-2007 automatic transmission Z51 cars do not have engine oil coolers...only the manual transmission cars do. The radiator below has transmission (automatic or manual) cooling only.

If your car has both the EOC and TOC it will look like this...

There is another variant which has neither an EOC nor TOC. It is used with the non-Z51 cars that have a manual transmission. It's the one in the foreground.

And finally, there is the ZR1 radiator...$$$$$$

Last edited by Motorhead-47; 01-01-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Lot's of good information. One more interesting fact is how the manual transmission can pump oil to the cooler. Below is the pump on the forward end of the transmission.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:24 PM
ChRpin VETT
Racer

Originally Posted by Motorhead-47
The power steering cooler on the Z51 has nothing to do with the radiator. It mounts behind the radiator on the cross member just forward of the steering rack.

It looks like this...

Engine oil coolers on our Vettes are either fluid-to-fluid heat exchangers or air-to-fluid. Beginning in 2008 manual transmission Z51 cars had this air-to-oil cooler which mounted forward of the radiator on the driver's side.

A common upgrade to the smaller Z51 oil cooler shown above is the Z06 cooler (below). While the Z51 cooler is only 7" wide, the Z06 cooler is a full 22" wide and spans the entire width of the radiator. It is a direct replacement for the smaller Z51 cooler. It uses the same oil lines as the external Z51 cooler and uses the same mounting holes on the driver's side. You do have to add two holes on the passenger side of the plastic baffle for the mounting bolts...easy enough.

The Z06 radiator DOES NOT have an internal engine oil cooler, only a transmission cooler. The general consensus is that 2005-2007 automatic transmission Z51 cars do not have engine oil coolers...only the manual transmission cars do. The radiator below has transmission (automatic or manual) cooling only.

If your car has both the EOC and TOC it will look like this...

There is another variant which has neither an EOC nor TOC. It is used with the non-Z51 cars that have a manual transmission. It's the one in the foreground.

And finally, there is the ZR1 radiator...$$$$$$
Wow thank you so much now I finally understand it big thanks!!!
Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Found this thread while looking up Z51 oil, trans, and power steering coolers.

Great read and pics!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 PM
forbiddenvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do the non-Z51 man trans cars come with a smaller core radiator? Replacements very in price greatly $$$ And will a replacement Z06 radiator drop right into a 2005 Z51?

Get notified of new replies

To Oil coolers have me confused!

Quick Reply: Oil coolers have me confused!