C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Passenger side airbag disable -->

Old 10-15-2002, 04:11 PM
SNISTER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Passenger side airbag disable -->

Just bought a 99 which, unfortunately, does not have a passenger side airbag disable switch installed from the factory (that started in 2001, I guess). A call to the dealer says you can't put one in a 99 because the computer is different.

I'd really like my 2 year old to be able to ride in the car. Has anyone had a switch put in their pre-2001?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 10-22-2002, 12:27 AM
BAD 99
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: HELP! Passenger side airbag disable --> (SNISTER)

Just bought a 99 which, unfortunately, does not have a passenger side airbag disable switch installed from the factory (that started in 2001, I guess). A call to the dealer says you can't put one in a 99 because the computer is different.

I'd really like my 2 year old to be able to ride in the car. Has anyone had a switch put in their pre-2001?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
What did you find out about this :seeya
Old 10-22-2002, 11:10 AM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Put one in my 99. go to http://www.97vette.com for pictures. order from Ken Fichtner in MT. ken
Old 10-22-2002, 11:46 AM
SNISTER
Instructor

Default Re: HELP! Passenger side airbag disable --> (BAD 99)

My local dealer said it could not be done because the 01+ models have a different computer than the pre 01 which meant you couldn't just install a factory 01 cut off switch.

The post above this one where the guy installed it himself seems to contradict this.

Further research uncovered a requirement from the NHTSA to get a written waiver from them allowing you to install an airbag cut off switch in any car which did not come equipped from the factory with one if you meet certain criteria outlined on their website. You would then take your waiver to a licensed installer (listed on the NHTSA site) and have it put in for a couple hundred bucks. Not sure if there would be insurance stipulations tied to this if you didn't get the waiver and, god-forbid, had an accident.

Not really sure what I'm going to do at this point.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:19 PM
spicoli25
Racer

Not to stop your question about installing a passenger side airbag disable switch but I have to small kids (5 and half year old and a 16 month year old) myself and would not suggest taking them for a ride in your corvette inless absolutley necassary. Children are just not safe in the front seat of any car. I cringe when I see parents allowing kids to sit in front seats of their cars. Especially without a booster seat until 45lbs. Toddlers are supposed to be in booster seats til 45lbs. The worst place to sit during an accident is the passenger front seat. I take my kids for a ride in my vette down the local street to a friends house slower than 10MPH. More than even fun and they can even sit on your lap and steer. Enjoy your car, much more fun without the kids because you can go as fast as you want without worrying about hurting them. Just my thoughts :)
Old 10-22-2002, 02:50 PM
SNISTER
Instructor

Default Re: HELP! Passenger side airbag disable --> (spicoli25)

One of the reasons I bought a Corvette is so that my kid can enjoy it too. He used to love riding in my Mustang. While you're right, statistically speaking, that the back seat is always the safest place to ride, a properly restrained child can still ride in the front seat safely.

Obviously, I'm not going to drive like an idiot with my kid in the car either.

We all grew up just fine without airbags, bicycle helmets and well designed car seats (if car seats at all). I think the odds are already stacked in my kid's favor.

I respect your opinion, but that's just not me.

[edit]to overcome the intrusive language screener[/edit]

[Modified by SNISTER, 7:02 PM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 03:12 PM
SNISTER
Instructor

Not to stop your question about installing a passenger side airbag disable switch but I have to small kids (5 and half year old and a 16 month year old) myself and would not suggest taking them for a ride in your corvette inless absolutley necassary. Children are just not safe in the front seat of any car. I cringe when I see parents allowing kids to sit in front seats of their cars. Especially without a booster seat until 45lbs. Toddlers are supposed to be in booster seats til 45lbs. The worst place to sit during an accident is the passenger front seat. I take my kids for a ride in my vette down the local street to a friends house slower than 10MPH. More than even fun and they can even sit on your lap and steer. Enjoy your car, much more fun without the kids because you can go as fast as you want without worrying about hurting them. Just my thoughts :)
Damn -- I just read your post again and was irritated to read that while in the same breath you say that kids shouldn't be in the front seat at all, you admit to sitting them on your lap for short drives around the neighborhood. That sounds pretty unsafe. Without doing any research into the matter, I think it's generally accepted that a majority of serious accidents happen very close to home. It would be very unfortunate for some 16 year old monkey kid to come flying around a corner too fast in a car he can't handle and plow into your Vette with your kid on your lap.

In terms of driving faster because you don't have kids in the car -- save your fast driving for the track, where it belongs.

[Modified by SNISTER, 7:12 PM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 03:47 PM
JR_VETTE
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Personally I don't really thinks it's that big of a safety issue to have kids riding in the Vette, AS LONG AS THE AIRBAG IS OFF!!! I asked this same question today about the airbag cutoff in another thread. While I won't make a habit of it, the Vette is a safe car for a baby IF the airbag is disabled. I don't drive stupid in any of my vehicles with him in the car (I have a Tahoe also). You have to remember, many of us grew up riding around in the back of station wagons and Beetles never buckled in. I would NEVER allow my child to ride in the Vette with the airbag enabled!

There are explicit instructions in the owners manual on how to put a carseat or booster seat in the Vette. That doesn't mean it's safe, but if the NHTSA says it's OK, I'm OK with it...
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/inju.../BASC2001.html

Is he safer in the Tahoe? Yes he is, but the Vette has many of the safety requirements that the Tahoe also has to have. My son has yet to be in the Vette, and will not be in it until I get the cutoff switch.

Post your own opinion : http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=416947

Edit - Added link to Poll above

[Modified by jreed99, 2:02 PM 10/22/2002]
Old 10-22-2002, 06:02 PM
SNISTER
Instructor

Default Re: HELP! Passenger side airbag disable --> (jreed99)

My initial response is to agree with you, hence my thread in the first place. The problem is figuring out what it takes to get that switch installed in the 99.

FWIW, the NHTSA also says that children under age 12 are safe in the front seat of a car with an airbag provided that they are at least 10 inches away from the airbag.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/airbgQandA.html

The NHTSA also says you have to obtain a waiver from them to get a switch installed in a car which did not come with one from the factory. That said, I'd be curious if the guy who responded to the post above who bought his from Ken Fitchner and installed it himself applied for this waiver.

I'm not sure of the origin of the waiver, but I must assume it has to do with insurance. My guess is not having that waiver in hand and not having your switch installed by a NHTSA-authorized installer could give you problems in the event of an accident if anything goes wrong (God forbid).

The bottom line is that, despite NHTSA saying it's safe for kids under 12 if they are 10 inches away (which they would be in a Vette in a booster seat), I want a switch for my 99 and I don't know how I'm going to get it -- yet. I will get to the bottom of it and will hopefully have one installed so I can go cruising with the top off and my 2 year old next to me with an ear-to-ear grin.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:51 AM
spicoli25
Racer

Damn -- I just read your post again and was irritated to read that while in the same breath you say that kids shouldn't be in the front seat at all, you admit to sitting them on your lap for short drives around the neighborhood. That sounds pretty unsafe. Without doing any research into the matter, I think it's generally accepted that a majority of serious accidents happen very close to home. It would be very unfortunate for some 16 year old monkey kid to come flying around a corner too fast in a car he can't handle and plow into your Vette with your kid on your lap.

In terms of driving faster because you don't have kids in the car -- save your fast driving for the track, where it belongs.

If you read my post it states down the local steet. I am talking 7 houses down a cul-de-sac street. Highly doubtful for an accident. Read the post more clearly next time.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:30 PM
WildWolf
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F*ck the judging of others...the answer to your question is yes- u can add a passenger air bag disable switch. I had one installed in mine. 95% of all the dealers I contacted would not touch this install. The other 5% requested the form (which I filled out and faxed to Washington). This is a B.S. :bs form- but I did it anyway in case I ever sell the car. I had a specialty shop install my kit- took them approx. 2 1/2 hours for everything (they had to change the seatbelt in mine). it was well worth it...wish u could've seen the smile on my kids face when he looked around as we went cruising! Good luck :cheers:
Old 10-23-2002, 02:16 PM
SNISTER
Instructor

Default Re: HELP! Passenger side airbag disable --> (WildWolf)

F*ck the judging of others...the answer to your question is yes- u can add a passenger air bag disable switch. I had one installed in mine. 95% of all the dealers I contacted would not touch this install. The other 5% requested the form (which I filled out and faxed to Washington). This is a B.S. :bs form- but I did it anyway in case I ever sell the car. I had a specialty shop install my kit- took them approx. 2 1/2 hours for everything (they had to change the seatbelt in mine). it was well worth it...wish u could've seen the smile on my kids face when he looked around as we went cruising! Good luck :cheers:
Thanks -- I am in the process of getting my form now and will hopefully find a local installer.

As far as Mr. Spicoli's comments go, I did read your original post carefully -- it said,
"I take my kids for a ride in my vette down the local street to a friends house slower than 10MPH."
It wasn't until your response that you clarified your point to be
"If you read my post it states down the local steet. I am talking 7 houses down a cul-de-sac street."
I guess you made your point that because it's on a cul-de-sac, it's OK. I guess I just don't agree.
Old 10-24-2002, 05:07 PM
QwikSilvr
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I totally agree with you Snister. I'll give you an example of what you mention about a 16yr old doing some such stupid thing. A friend of mine was backing out of a driveway in a 35mph zone. When she got out in her lane, across the lane closest to the driveway, she was struck by a young kid (about 16) going over 100mph. His passenger freaked out when he saw her backing out and grabbed the wheel in an attempt to get around her. It was too late. They hit her head on, on the passenger side and totalled both cars. Luckily she wasn't injured seriously and luckily her young son wasn't in the car at the time because he surely would have been seriously injured as the brunt of the impact was on the pass side. I don't care if you are sitting still, a child should not EVER be in the driver's seat in another person's lap on a public street/highway. Being properly restrained goes a long way to staving off injuries.

Old 10-25-2002, 12:44 AM
SilverMN6
Pro

Default Re: HELP! Passenger side airbag disable --> (QwikSilvr)

Is there no simple way the do this? Like pulling a fuse? Cutting a wire and splicing in an on-off switch? ...inquiring minds want to know!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Passenger side airbag disable -->

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Passenger side airbag disable -->