Northern California Northern California

Cross Country Trip

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 PM
ZX-11
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cross Country Trip

Starting to plan out a trip that I have been dreaming about since my son was born. That dream is to hop in the corvette and drive cross country (NJ to CA) with him to take in the sights and show him what an amazing country we live in. My parents took me and my sisters on a month-long cross country trip when I was around his age and it left a lasting impression on me. He will be 13 this summer and I know with high school sports, part-time summer jobs and girl friends in the not-too-distant future, I don't have too many more opportunities to make this happen. I can get the last three weeks in August off so the plan is to take two weeks to drive out to San Francisco. The wife will fly out and meet us in San Francisco to spend the third week with us seeing the sights in California. (Wife has no interest in spending three weeks in the car.) Will ship the car back from San Fran and rent another car that we can all fit in to spend a week driving down to LA/San Diego and flying back from LA to NJ.

Problem: I called several shippers including Intercity and Horseless Carriage and no one seems to have a terminal where I can drop off the car in San Francisco. The shippers will not commit to an exact pickup date and I don't want to run the risk of using precious vacation time waiting in San Francisco for the truck to show up. Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-2014, 04:28 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I will volunteer to hold the car at my detail shop until someone can pick it up. This is a trip of a lifetime and I am more than willing to jump in and help out. PM me if interested as I don't want to make details public, but would love to help out a fellow Corvette owner. It is in a very safe and secure location until it can be picked up.
Plus I am Mr. California back roads and can give advice on cool roads to travel based on what you want to see.
Steve

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 04-26-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:57 AM
ZX-11
Instructor

What a great community of people on this forum! Steve, that is an incredibly generous offer - PM sent. Was afraid I overlooked a key detail that would derail my trip. Thanks for jumping in with suggestions and helping to make sure that did not happen.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:30 AM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Send us a shout out when you make it to The Bay
Old 04-26-2014, 11:07 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I would trust both steve and Richie with any of my cars.... They are both Great guys... You have nothing to worry about with either of them, Anyone on this forum will tell you the same.....Make sure you hit us up when your in town maybe we can set up a gtg for lunch or something ...
Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Absolutely agree with the above all the way around, including the opportunity to meet and greet while you're here in the Bay Area!

The wife and I will warm the roads up for you, as we will be picking up her new C7 at the Museum in June, then heading to Charlotte to visit friends before making it back across the country. I too was spoiled by cross country travel as a child, and was fortunate to have seen most of this beautiful country from the back seat of a car. I'm really looking forward to touring America, and I'm sure you are too!!! Great job on deciding to make this happen - travel safely and enjoy the views!!!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:52 PM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX-11
What a great community of people on this forum! Steve, that is an incredibly generous offer - PM sent. Was afraid I overlooked a key detail that would derail my trip. Thanks for jumping in with suggestions and helping to make sure that did not happen.
Absolutely glad to do it, and details have been PM'd
Old 04-26-2014, 03:36 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 PM
ZX-11
Instructor

Thanks everyone!

Steve - Got your info and thanks again. Will get in touch when when the time gets closer.

Can't wait to hit the open road in August. Too many decades of getting on route 80 east in the morning heading to work when I really just wanted to hop on 80 west and gettting lost for a while.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:46 AM
SLPRC5
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've don't the Xcountry several times only once in the C5 from Bay Arear to DC, another one was from the Bay Area to Penn in the family car and twice to MS in the family car.
I wondered why ppl would take vacations outside of our beautiful country.
There is no better view of this country than from your car windows.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:38 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Steve is a great guy, and you can absolutely trust him! His shop is here in the town where I live, and I have had them detail my car(s) several times.

This is a generous offer from a genuine stand-up guy. You can't go wrong on this!

Plus, there are several wineries close by here if you are interested in visiting!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:53 PM
ZX-11
Instructor

In case anyone is interested, I thought I would post up some pics from the trip. We had a blast - 5K miles, 13 states, 7 national parks and 5 cities. I need a vacation from my vacation!

Thanks for all the suggestions and a big, big thanks to Steve/Grzldtvt1 for allowing me to leave the car at his detail shop until the shipper could pick it up. I had Steve's shop detail the car and they did a fantastic job. They even detailed the engine bay. The driver from the shipping company couldn't stop talking about how good the car looks which says a lot from a guy who makes his living transporting high-end cars. You guys in the Bay Area really should give Steve's shop a try - if I lived in the area, there is no way I would be detailing my car after seeing what they can do and all for a fantastic price.

I have hundreds of pics from the trip, but, given that this is a Corvette forum, I limited the pics to those with the Corvette.

Day 1 - Hitting the road

Ahhhh .... the open road!

The Badlands

Badlands - can't wait to teach him to drive it in a few years

Needles Highway near Mt Rushmore

Needles Highway, SD. Those tunnels are narrow!

Beartooth Highway leading into the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone

Beartooth Highway

Continental Divide in Yellowstone

Grand Teton National Park

We made it!

The wife flew out and met us in San Francisco. We spent the last week with her exploring California - Bay Area - Yosemite - back to the coast and down the PCH from Monterey down to LA and ultimately to San Diego. Rented a convertible mustang for this leg of the trip. Don't want to get banned from the forum so no mustang pics : )
Old 09-17-2014, 01:28 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pics. Great trip! You are right about kids growing up too quick and getting too busy with their own lives. If you have any inclination in the future, I had a great time taking our daughter to the 3 day class at Spring Mt Motorsports park when she got to be about 20. She always claims it made her a safer driver.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:57 PM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Sounds like it was a great trip.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:04 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I am glad the trip worked out so well.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:42 AM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

That looks like an awesome trip with you son. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Cross Country Trip

Quick Reply: Cross Country Trip