Sponsored by:

Long Distance Trip

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 PM
vadams44
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Long Distance Trip

Am finally getting time to do a cross country trip. Have a C7 AW vert that we took delivery on in December. Thinking of taking this trip and a large part of it would be to follow as much of old Route 66 as possible from Chicago to Santa Monica. I would like some feedback from some of you tat may have done this or suggestions from you that could be helpful in planning and doing this trip.
1)can do this late spring or early fall-pros and cons?
2) other than clothing, any essentials that should be taken such as tools, parts etc. I know cell phone, laptop etc., but am asking for unobvious things that could come in handy.
3)live in NC, so will go from here to Chicago and then west. Any suggestions as to a return route to NC?
4)should I buy a clear "bra" and/or fender guards to help protect the car? Hate those things but don't want to be stupid and regret doing this.
5) anything one can add that is constructive to my questions is appreciated
6) donations to my non-profit, The C7 Kid Cross-Country Trip, are welcomed. LOL, just kidding!
Thanks for any advice. Save the wave.
Vaughan
Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 PM
djseto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vadams44
4)should I buy a clear "bra" and/or fender guards to help protect the car? Hate those things but don't want to be stupid and regret doing this.
Vaughan
Hey. I live in Cary. I had a clear bra put on by Pete at TVP Auto up near the Angus Barn side of town. He uses the xPel stuff. I can't even tell it's there and my car is White. I'd highly recommend spending the money and getting it done. Totally worth it if you ask me to protect your car from rock chips and to make removing bugs and crap easier.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Your timing is pretty good to do the National Corvette Caravan. From there you could pick up RT66 and head to Santa Monica. We are and will be taking RT 66 back towards home.

And a HUGE about a clear bra. Don't leave home without it!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 PM
CV-4606
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djseto
Hey. I live in Cary. I had a clear bra put on by Pete at TVP Auto up near the Angus Barn side of town. He uses the xPel stuff. I can't even tell it's there and my car is White. I'd highly recommend spending the money and getting it done. Totally worth it if you ask me to protect your car from rock chips and to make removing bugs and crap easier.
Pete is the best. He has done all my Porsches. Difficult to get on the phone. Definetly need a clear bra for this kind of trip.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:39 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

You might consider a different route. From Chicago west; why not go north a bit, then west through So Dakota.
You can see the Badlands Natl Park, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, the Devils Tower, then across Wyoming across the Beartooth Pass into the Yellowstone.

Beautiful mountains, water falls, glaciers, wildlife like nowhere else, and some wide open roads for your Corvette.

From there, south into Grand Teton Natl Park and then cross over the Tetons into Idaho. Then on west to California across the Sierra's you'll see Reno, Lake Tahoe and then see the Redwoods just north of San Francisco in Muir Woods. Finally south along Highway 1 for a scenic drive along the Pacific Coast to Santa Monica.

You'll see some of the most amazing sights in your Corvette. Early fall is a spectacular time for this trip, across the mountains. Other times scenic as well.

Good luck whereever you go. Nothing better than the open road; in a Corvette.
Done it many times.....
Don
Old 01-25-2014, 07:50 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

We did a cross country trip from Philly, Pa area to San Fran/Santa Monica Pier, CA back in 2010. 8877 mile round trip unfortunately not in my '05 C6.

Buy this book and plan your stops accordingly. But some of our best stops were discoveries along the way.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Did the entire Chicago to Santa Monica trip in year 2000 in my C5. Took 8 days. Nice thing about Route 66 is in most sections the interstate is not far away so if you need to put some miles behind you it is there to let you do that.

Buy at least 2 of the best guidebooks (the one I remember is the Michael Wallis book but I see it is getting dated at this point) and read them carefully every day during the trip.

Based on my personal experiences, be sure to take the original segment of Route 66 in AZ through Oatman. The drive is great and the wild burros in "downtown" Oatman special. The original segments in KS and NM (through Santa Fe) also good, and Santa Fe was our only 2-night stop.

Visit the diners and motels mentioned in the guidebooks. It's fun. I remembered we had lunch one day in Las Vegas (but it was NM, not NV!). Small town.

Have fun!
Old 01-25-2014, 08:39 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by djseto
...I'd highly recommend spending the money and getting it done. Totally worth it if you ask me to protect your car from rock chips and to make removing bugs and crap easier.
I totally agree! It will also make any clean up work very easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Long Distance Trip

Quick Reply: Long Distance Trip