C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a blowout or flat with Michelin Pilot Sport A?S ZP tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Formula52
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 97 Posts

Default Anyone have a blowout or flat with Michelin Pilot Sport A?S ZP tires?

Hi All,

Replacing all my original Goodyear Runcraps with the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus ZP tires and wondering if anyone experianced either a blowout while driving or a simple flat (nail) with them and how they held up.

There are a lot of great reviews on these tires here, but could not find flats with it in the search function.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-19-2013, 01:09 PM
festone
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had them for roughly 15,000 miles on my 2001 C5. They were still good for another 10K miles or so when I traded the car in for my C6.

I had one screw in a rear tire during that time. The puncture was in the middle of the tread and Discount Tire repaired it without any problems. The tires were a giant step up from the Goodyear RF's that had been on the car.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:19 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I had a nail in the rear on my 2001 convert that had the AS ZP tires and as it turned out it had been in the tire for a while when I happened to see it one day. Discount tire fixed it no problem and had no further problems with the tire. They had about 15k on them when I sold the car 2 1/2 years ago and the new buyer has driven the car all over the country since and put another 15k on them and they are still going strong now with 30k miles.

They are really great in wet conditions and way quieter than the GY tires. I was driving back from Vegas and ran into a torrential downpour at freeway speeds that lasted for about 100 miles and the were rock solid on very wet conditions.

I have no doubt that when it comes time to replace the GY's on my C6 convert that I will go with the AS ZP's again.

Last edited by RJRSW; 10-19-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Probably good as any other tire out there. All depends on location in tire and size of nail. I don't even consider a nail a flat since they are basically slow leakers. I would personally get the AS3 instead if it is available.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Probably good as any other tire out there. All depends on location in tire and size of nail. I don't even consider a nail a flat since they are basically slow leakers. I would personally get the AS3 instead if it is available.
I wish I could get a 500 treadwear number from Michelin for GS. I took a set off 08 with 15k and no problems when I turned it in at end of lease. They were in too good a shape to let go! No flats, took very little weight to balance worst was 2 oz. Still good in rain, still quiet, they easily could have went another 15k on that 08 coupe. The run-craps went back on when I turned it in they had 19k with 7/32 tread left but fronts were cupped badly.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Formula52
Hi All,

Replacing all my original Goodyear Runcraps with the Michelin Pilot A/S Plus ZP tires and wondering if anyone experianced either a blowout while driving or a simple flat (nail) with them and how they held up.

There are a lot of great reviews on these tires here, but could not find flats with it in the search function.

Thanks,

Steve
Not the A/S version, but here's my story of a flat with the Michelin PS2 summer runflats. I was impressed, and more impressed by the stories of how far some other people have traveled on a flat runflat in post #15 of the other linked thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...flat-tire.html

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-19-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only way you will have blowout with a ZP tire is you hit something so catastrophic it seperates the tire from the wheel. In that case you are probably going to have the vehicle locked down and be trying to stop because of the size of the object.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have a blowout or flat with Michelin Pilot Sport A?S ZP tires?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a blowout or flat with Michelin Pilot Sport A?S ZP tires?