Sponsored by:

Reattach rear window on a convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 03:38 PM
Msanders7508
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reattach rear window on a convertible

I have a C-5 convertible and the rear window came loose from the top. It has two cloth straps holding it but not tight up against the top. Who would I go to to have this reglued?
Old 11-12-2022, 08:39 AM
Robert Barcus
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I reglued mine myself. There are posts on doing it. I used Rhino glue. I took a thin metal putty knife and scraped the old glue off. Then I applied the Rhino glue.
I have suction cups I use for my business of repairing vinyl windows. So I took a tie down strap hooked to the suction cup and hooked the other end
to the garage door opener track at an angle to pull straight. I stuffed a large pillow inside against the glass. So far so good after 6 months.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:32 AM
wdcraig
Pro

Received 277 Likes on 163 Posts

FWIW; I searched for a shop that would re-glue my window when it separated and found a reputable shop (they do tops for most of the dealerships in my area) and they refused to re-glue my window. This fellow had been in business for 30 years. The shop owner said that the C5s were reaching the age where this is a very common problem (so common, in fact that he had my top in stock). His opinion was that by the time the windows fail, the tops are due for replacement (at the time my 2001 top was 17 years old and had seen over 97,000 miles).

I considered the Rhino glue fix (so much so, I bought some); however, after giving the matter some additional thought, I elected to have a new top put on my car. It wasn't cheap; but it was cheap peace of mind.

My calculus was based on the fact that I intended to keep this car for at least 10 more years and more likely than not, given the age of the top, I would need to replace the top at some point within the next 10 years...so why not replace it then so I could get the good out of it? Also, my wife and I enjoy taking extended road trips in this car and realizing that Murphy's Law is omnipresent in my life, should my re-glue fail, it would most likely fail at the most inopportune time.

Should you wish to attempt this DIY:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-refasten.html

Old 11-12-2022, 10:16 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

My top is 18 years old and although it does not look brand new, it does not show significant wear. I can endure the 2-3 hours to re-glue with the Rhino adhesive. Seems like it is needed every 2 years.
Old 11-12-2022, 06:23 PM
grinder11
Race Director

Received 3,606 Likes on 2,556 Posts

Originally Posted by Msanders7508
I have a C-5 convertible and the rear window came loose from the top. It has two cloth straps holding it but not tight up against the top. Who would I go to to have this reglued?
I re-glued mine myself. It's held for 40,000 miles, and over 8 years. I used 3M Window Weld, it's mighty good, sticky stuff.

EDIT!! I can't emphasize it enough, but the truth is I've never seen anything as goopy and sticky as this stuff!!!!! You must be careful!! It's worse than tar!! It comes off the glass for cleanup with brake cleaner. However, if you get it on your top, it can be removed, but it's a HELL of a job. I recommend having a razor blade, or two, nearby. On the positive side, I can't emphasize enough how good it works. Wear the nitrile gloves, for sure!!!

I also used several handles with suction cups at each end, made for bathroom shower stalls, bought at Home Depot. Not aware of anyone doing this professionally, but you could try the local body shop. Insist on 3M Window Weld. I fully expect it to outlast OEM stuff. It has only another 6 years to go before that happens. It's damn good stuff.......

Last edited by grinder11; 11-13-2022 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sonicss33 (11-12-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 09:27 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

I reglued my rear window in my 2003 vert about 3 years ago using 3M windoweld. The clamps I used were ingenious suction cup clamps with adjusting wingnut screws. They cleverly apply pressure to the part you're gluing without having anything on the other side (like a normal clamp would require). I paid about $35 for a set of 6 and they worked great. I have a picture that I copied from another forum post of the clamps in action. Later I used them on my wife's BMW convertible when her window started to come loose.

Get notified of new replies

To Reattach rear window on a convertible

Quick Reply: Reattach rear window on a convertible