Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front bumper cover removal

Old 03-15-2012, 01:01 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Front bumper cover removal

I have all the fasteners removed and am ready to pull the cover off in the morning. This may seem obvious but I have a question about the bottom edge of the cover. Is the cover supposed to be "split" where it wraps around the radiator support? It appears that is the only way it could be done without removing the radiator support but this is my first time removing any body parts from a C5.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:39 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Does this picture help?

Last edited by DeeGee; 03-15-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 AM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a "split" around metal brush guards in the front. there should be two screws holding them in place. make sure to have all of the other screws out first. then take out the two screws that are holding the "splits" , and "encourage" them around the brush guards while removing the cover from the car.

hope this helps.

I have taken the front bumper cover off twice recently so feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Does this picture help?

I've got a factory service manual, but the split and the bolts I'm concerned with are on the bottom.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:01 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by liquidforce917
there is a "split" around metal brush guards in the front. there should be two screws holding them in place. make sure to have all of the other screws out first. then take out the two screws that are holding the "splits" , and "encourage" them around the brush guards while removing the cover from the car.

hope this helps.

I have taken the front bumper cover off twice recently so feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Thanks, I was able to see that the split was intentional after I got the cover all the way off. Not too hard a job really. Putting it back on with the fresh paint will be the challange.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:44 PM
liquidforce917
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have towels on the ground for sure when going back on! FYI when going back on I left the two screws off that hold on the splits because of how time consuming for me it was to get them out. Maybe yours were easier but my .02 Also when tightening down the two nuts where the cover meets the fender make sure that you hold the bumper cover flush with fender to assure the best looking fit. Good luck
Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by liquidforce917
Have towels on the ground for sure when going back on! FYI when going back on I left the two screws off that hold on the splits because of how time consuming for me it was to get them out. Maybe yours were easier but my .02 Also when tightening down the two nuts where the cover meets the fender make sure that you hold the bumper cover flush with fender to assure the best looking fit. Good luck

Somebody else must have agreed with you on the bolts, there weren't any on my car at that point. All the other bolts and fasteners were present except for those. Thanks for the pointers too.

Get notified of new replies

To Front bumper cover removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front bumper cover removal