Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run flat tires

Old 08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Cornfield
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Run flat tires

Other than waiting for a tow truck, what problems do you run into when you don't have run flat tires on?
Old 08-26-2009, 06:25 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,673 Likes on 1,296 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

None.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:26 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
None.
Ive been running non runflats for about five years now with no problems so far.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Zero.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:41 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

Permagrin from being able to take corners confidently.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Hammer99
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by R Devil
Zero.
X2= O
Old 08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course those of us running UHP or MP RFs do that but we don't wait on the tow truck.

If RFs are so bad, why would Chevrolet put them on their hottest performer the ZR1?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
merven
Racer

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Of course those of us running UHP or MP RFs do that but we don't wait on the tow truck.

If RFs are so bad, why would Chevrolet put them on their hottest performer the ZR1?

Because there is no spare?
Unless runflats have drasticly improved the last few years, they are the single largest improvement available to a corvette owner (getting rid of them i mean).
The following users liked this post:
Larry P (11-08-2022)
Old 08-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by merven
Because there is no spare?
Unless runflats have drasticly improved the last few years, they are the single largest improvement available to a corvette owner (getting rid of them i mean).
Not at all, C5 Z06 did not come with RFs, you get a patch kit and a can of Flat Repair.

C6 ZR1 has Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs, which is the MP category.

I currently run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs (UHP) and have never had my vehicle telegraph a bad feeling in a very tight turn. Heck I comfortably will make a tight 90° turn and accelerate hard on a wet road and it never gives one bit. Just solid traction.

I would gather they have improved considerably the A/S Plus was re-introduced last September and the PS2 ZP released last September. So they are latest technology tires.

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 08-26-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Data on those two compliments of TireRack:

Pilot Sport PS2 ZP

The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (Zero Pressure) is Michelin’s Max Performance Summer run-flat tire developed for selected performance sedans and sports cars. Initially introduced as Original Equipment (O.E.) on BMW 3 series sport package cars, the Pilot Sport PS2 ZP has recently expanded its O.E. applications to include Michelin’s first Corvette fitment on the highest performing production supercar in Chevrolet’s history, the 2009 Corvette ZR1. The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP is designed to combine world class dry road traction, handling and cornering, however it is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

The Pilot Sport PS2 ZP molds an advanced tread rubber compound into an asymmetric tread design featuring Michelin’s Variable Contact Patch to keep more tread rubber on the road during a variety of maneuvers. The tread design features large outboard shoulder blocks and continuous intermediate and center ribs to provide a solid connection to the ground for control during cornering, braking and acceleration in dry conditions. The tread design also features wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches that help channel water through the footprint to enhance wet road traction. The tire’s internal structure includes two steel cord belts that are further reinforced by size-optimized, spirally wound polyamide to improve steering response and resistance to distortion while enhancing ride quality and high-speed durability. Pilot Sport PS2 ZP tires incorporate Michelin's newest generation of run-flat technology including a heavy-duty rayon carcass reinforced by rubber zero pressure sidewall inserts.

Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP

The Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP (Zero Pressure) is the Ultra High Performance All-Season run-flat tire member of Michelin''s Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tires. Developed in the Original Equipment (O.E.) sizes for Chevrolet Corvette C-5 and C-6 coupe and convertible sports cars, the Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP is designed to temporarily support the weight of the car even after a loss of air pressure, as well as combine enhanced all-weather performance, wet grip and treadwear along with year-round traction, including in light snow.

The Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP features Michelin’s TriFusion Compound that molds three different tread compounds side-by-side using the precise capabilities of Michelin’s “C3M” tire manufacturing process. The tread compound in both shoulders improves dry handling, the compound used between the shoulders and center rib enhances wet, snow and cold weather traction while the compound used in the center rib boosts wet traction. These three compounds are molded into a directional tread design (shared with earlier Pilot Sport A/S ZP tires) that features a continuous circumferential center rib (to provide communicative road feel and reduce noise on dry roads), high angle directional tread blocks (to sharpen steering response and dry road handling) along with circumferential and high angle lateral grooves (to resist hydroplaning and enhance wet traction). The tire’s internal structure includes two high-tensile, lightweight steel cord belts under the tread area reinforced with Michelin’s “Filament At Zero” (FAZ) technology that spirally wraps an individual strand of polyamide across the entire tread (similar to the way fishing line is wound onto a fishing reel) to increase treadwear and ride comfort while providing high-speed durability and predictable handling. Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP tires feature reinforced sidewalls that are designed to temporarily support the weight of the car even after a loss of air pressure.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
merven
Racer

Not at all, C5 Z06 did not come with RFs, you get a patch kit and a can of Flat Repair.

C6 ZR1 has Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZPs, which is the MP category.

I currently run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZPs (UHP) and have never had my vehicle telegraph a bad feeling in a very tight turn. Heck I comfortably will make a tight 90° turn and accelerate hard on a wet road and it never gives one bit. Just solid traction.

I would gather they have improved considerably the A/S Plus was re-introduced last September and the PS2 ZP released last September. So they are latest technology tires.
The only thing i have to compare with are the Goodyear runflats I had on my car and now the BFG KDW I have now, night and day performance. However being fair to the tires the Goodyears were 4 years old when replaced probably a bit hard and not too much tread left on em, and the KDW's were so new they made the whole garage smell of new rubber for about a week after I get em.
Oh and the Goodyears were noisy as heck on roads that were picture perfect smooth.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Wt99C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cornfield
Other than waiting for a tow truck, what problems do you run into when you don't have run flat tires on?
Don't know if it will make you feel any better, but my new Malibu Hybrid doesn't have a spare tire or a jack. The real bad news is it doesn't have run craps either. Guess what my first set of tires will be.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by merven
The only thing i have to compare with are the Goodyear runflats I had on my car and now the BFG KDW I have now, night and day performance. However being fair to the tires the Goodyears were 4 years old when replaced probably a bit hard and not too much tread left on em, and the KDW's were so new they made the whole garage smell of new rubber for about a week after I get em.
Oh and the Goodyears were noisy as heck on roads that were picture perfect smooth.
Yes I can concur with you on the GY F1 EMTs, my original set from the factory was useless around 14K. Of course to be fair we should compare only brand new sets of tires. Unfortunately it is a little difficult to do since in most cases we are replacing a worn set with a fresh new set.

When I drove off the lot from Discount Tire with the new Michelin's it was as if I just got a brand new car, it handled so differently. Since then I've been through the first set of Michelin's and am now starting on the second set of A/S Plus the second generation of that tire.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:47 PM
ggeldy
Racer

zero----- plus runflats are too expensive (goodyear) that is .Anyway 2 flat tires in 40 years of driving I don't worry about flat tires
Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornfield
Nope.

And Im a firm believer in running runflats (Michelins), but thats not what you asked

No problems with running non runflats and probably will perform better.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I have been running on Non-Rf's(BFG KD's, now Nitto's.) since I have had my C5 - 98...
I have had two flats, both I fixed. Search the other cuent post for my tool kit, etc.
I take the C5 into the mountains, including Death Valley where there is no cell coverage, and have an extensive repair kit, including a jack to ensure I can at least fix most issues. One flat was in my garage, the other in my work's parking lot. Not bad to fix, but filthy to do. AAA onlycomesout to pu on a spare, not patch your tire.
However, I just put Michelin RF Sports on the C6 and can say the technology has improved quite a bit.
Chances are very high I will replace he current Nitto's with the Michelin RF's.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,209 Likes on 13,925 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Really no other drawback other than what you mention. As long as you are prepared for the potential flat tire hassle, non-runflats are a good option.

Get notified of new replies

To Run flat tires

Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Quicksilver Vert 01
Tech Contributor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jrose7004
None.

Carry a tire plugging kit, and a small 12 volt air compressor.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM
jerrsvette
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

This may be a dumb question, but what does MP and UHP stand for??
Old 08-27-2009, 08:07 AM
kikker_1999
Racer

Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert 01

Carry a tire plugging kit, and a small 12 volt air compressor.

That's what I do too, I love the quiet ride from my non run flats!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run flat tires