CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Do your C5's rattle when you shut the door with the window down? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2789460-do-your-c5s-rattle-when-you-shut-the-door-with-the-window-down.html)

Z06X 03-05-2011 11:58 AM

Do your C5's rattle when you shut the door with the window down?

Well, my purchase date for my Z06 jumped forward until wednesday so I'm trying to occupy my mind here....

My 92, as with most C4's had noisy doors if you shut them with the window down or partially down. This is something often typical with frameless door designs. I was wondering if the C5's seem to be more resistant to becoming noisy when closing the door in this situation? Did GM possibly reinforce the tracks and assembly better on this car or no?

Some input from various owners needed....

robert miller 03-05-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by arctic 92 (Post 1576968566)
Well, my purchase date for my Z06 jumped forward until wednesday so I'm trying to occupy my mind here....

My 92, as with most C4's had noisy doors if you shut them with the window down or partially down. This is something often typical with frameless door designs. I was wondering if the C5's seem to be more resistant to becoming noisy when closing the door in this situation? Did GM possibly reinforce the tracks and assembly better on this car or no?

Some input from various owners needed....

No problems with the 04 down are up and mine is a conv..

tony75A 03-05-2011 12:17 PM

99 frc here and yes they rattle when half way open and I close the door

MSG C5 03-05-2011 12:28 PM

I am planning to install some heat and sound insulation when I upgrade my stereo and interior. I'm hoping that additional insulation in the doors will also help keep down the rattle.

I don't really notice it and I usually have the windows all the way down or all the way up, however when down, I have noticed they can rattle when I close the door.

GBsC5Vert 03-05-2011 12:41 PM

My driver side on m 'vert rattles when the when the window is all the way down. But if I bump the window up just a tad, no more rattle. Almost like the track/regulator is not touching the window, but if I take up the slack, it's quiet. Need to remove my door panel and investigate further. Doing research now on this project.

AC54ME 03-05-2011 12:48 PM

:lurk:

jrose7004 03-05-2011 12:52 PM

No my 04 doesn't rattle with the window down. If a car does it normally indicates that something in the window regulator is broken.

34RedRage 03-05-2011 12:59 PM

well of course mine does, its a chevrolet!

Vettmann17 03-05-2011 01:04 PM

When the window is down and you close the door it doesnt have the nice solid sound as when the window is up, when the window is down just close the door gently or it won't sound pretty. However there is no rattle with the window down while driving.

UM Rebel 03-05-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Vettmann17 (Post 1576969069)
When the window is down and you close the door it doesnt have the nice solid sound as when the window is up, when the window is down just close the door gently or it won't sound pretty. However there is no rattle with the window down while driving.

:iagree:

Yep

Z06X 03-05-2011 03:07 PM

Well, it's not an indicator of a broken regulator...it CAN be of course, but it's an idicator of rivets generally stretching, brackets moving, weatherstripping getting thin from wear and you just get slop. That was a real agitator to me with my C4 and i've decided I just won't deal with it with this one...I'll pull the panels apart if I have to. Just wonderin if it were possible GM nipped it with the redesign. Oh well.. It's just a hard thing to avoid with no window frames to support that weight moving back and forth.

Sometimes it's weird the things that stay with you and bug you....that's one for me...haha.

oakvillec5 03-05-2011 03:47 PM

:iagree: yup

chassed 03-05-2011 03:55 PM

HAHAHA yeah... i just noticed this yesterday...it kind of freaked me out...it shuts soo smooth with the window up...then with the window half way down, i suddenly thought i was back im my 02 SS...

chassed 03-05-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by vettesplus (Post 1576969042)
well of course mine does, its a chevrolet!

this^^^ :iagree:

f6john 03-05-2011 03:59 PM

Yes, with window down and closing the door it rattles.

AZ99FRC 03-05-2011 04:17 PM

That's why I'm always yelling at my wife…'don't slam the damn door!'

Z06X 03-05-2011 08:10 PM

hahaha.....yep...that definitely doesnt help the support within the door....

Marc@Vettenuts.net 03-05-2011 08:22 PM

I just fixed my dad's 99 Vert door from the rattle. You can adjust some of it out at times. Some are worn past the point of return.

melloyello01 03-05-2011 08:23 PM

Actually my 2001 did when i first got it a year ago. it was one of the 1st fixes i did with the help of info on this forum as to how to remove your door panel. Onced removed I saw there was a spacer or something that had worn off at the holder area and i think i used velcro for a DIY fix. ( very technical ) haha. but, no more window rattle, woohoo!

Carcass 03-05-2011 08:31 PM

If I'm going to leave the windows down at all,I run them down about 1-1/4 inch,so the glass still contacts the weatherstripping when the door is shut,then,no rattle-any further down(unless it's all the way),and they rattle,but only when shutting the door,not when I'm driving.

One of these days I'm going to take the door panels off and see why they're a little "loose"(probably when I get around to the "rocking seat fix",which hasn't happened yet either....)

Bill Dearborn 03-06-2011 01:19 AM

The doors on my 97 would rattle if I closed the door when the window was down from the day I picked it up at the dealer's lot in May 97 until I sold it 6 years later. The 03Z I purchased then did the same thing for another 6 years. If your car door rattles when it is closed with the window down I would say it is normal and don't worry about it. If it rattles when you close the door with the window up GM had a TSB to address that issue.

Bill

Z06X 03-06-2011 12:46 PM

Did it from new ehhh? Hmmm...hard to believe that got past QA engineers that examine fit and finish. Interesting.

tracer1 03-06-2011 01:53 PM

Fixed mine the other day. Driver side rattled when it wasn't up. The passenger side was quiet and no rattle up or down. Took panels off both doors to see the difference. The passenger side was adjusted with the tip in against the felt pads at the top rear and the felt button at the front.
The driver door had the felt (2 strips) missing at the rear & wasn't even close to the felt, hence the rattle. Couldn't find these strips anywhere so I took some wide velcro (the soft felt side - maybe 2" wide), cut it the same as the passenger door side but left it 2" wide instead of cutting it in two strips & installed it. Then adjusted the tip in. You can adjust the tip in without taking the door panel off by removing the red reflector but can't replace the felt with the panel on,(if you need to). The other tip in adjustment is at the bottom front of the door. Have to remove the rubber boot covering it. Anyway, adjusted the tip in so both touched the felt and were not loose. Now the driver door is as quiet as the pass. side door, no rattle up or down when you close the door. It's now tighter against the weatherstripping and no wind noise. Make sure after the adjustment, you close the door gently to make sure it goes under the clip at the top & not against it or it make chip or break the glass. Take care closing the door til you get it right. This is a easy adjustment but you can't be rough or reckless with it. I played with the adjustment little at a time til I got it just right. I started to take some pics but figured mine was the only one that rattled.
Hope this helps some.

mtdoragary 03-06-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by arctic 92 (Post 1576977609)
Did it from new ehhh? Hmmm...hard to believe that got past QA engineers that examine fit and finish. Interesting.

That was a joke, right?

Z06X 03-06-2011 04:39 PM

The same kind of joke as you putting a trailer hitch on your vette there Mr. Obsolete.

Jims2001 03-06-2011 05:34 PM

My drivers side rattled with the window down. I took the door panel off and found a little bumper out of place, fixed it somehow can't remember what I did. No more rattle.

mtdoragary 03-06-2011 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by arctic 92 (Post 1576979765)
The same kind of joke as you putting a trailer hitch on your vette there Mr. Obsolete.

Touche!

C5Wolfe 03-06-2011 06:33 PM

My advice is to always make sure the window is all the way up or down when shutting the door! I broke a door track in my old "97" once by the door being closed in the half way up position.
Dave:cool:

Bill Dearborn 03-06-2011 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by arctic 92 (Post 1576977609)

I am pretty sure they don't roll the windows down and close the doors.

By the way somebody asked me to look up that TSB and I found I was wrong. It was for doors with the windows down. Here is the TSB:
#83-15-05: DOOR GLASS RATTLE (INSTALL INSULATOR) - (Apr 24, 1998)

SUBJECT: DOOR GLASS RATTLE (INSTALL INSULATOR)
MODELS: 1997-98 CHEVROLET CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE COUPE
CONDITION:
SOME CUSTOMERS MAY COMMENT THAT THE DOOR GLASS RATTLES IN THE FULL DOWN POSITION WHEN CLOSING THE DOOR.
CAUSE:
THIS CONDITION MAY BE DUE TO THE GLASS RATTLING AGAINST THE REGULATOR PULLEY AND CABLE GUIDE.
CORRECTION:
1. REMOVE TRIM PAD.
2. CLEAN CABLE GUIDE AND ROLLER WITH GENERAL PURPOSE CLEANER. SEE FIGURE 1.
3. INSTALL A PIECE OF HOOK AND LOOP MATERIAL (LOOP SIDE) TO THE CENTER OF THE ROLLER AND ALSO TO THE FRONT OR REAR GREEN COLOR CABLE GUIDE. SEE FIGURE 1.
4. REINSTALL TRIM PAD.

Bill

Oldvetter 03-06-2011 07:11 PM

Not only does my 1998 Coupe rattle when you close the door with thw glass down, BUT it also rattles with the window all the way down while driving. You only have to touch the up button to make it stop rattling, you can't even see the glass after this.

Years ago I adjusted the tip-in when I got a new top, maybe I went too far?

Vetteman Jack 03-06-2011 09:31 PM

I haven't noticed any rattling noises on my C5 with the windows down when closing the doors.

Chicago1 03-07-2011 12:07 AM

I dont hear it at all but that maybe due to the rest of the car rattling.

HowlinC5 03-07-2011 12:59 AM

sure does

c5BlackBeauty 03-07-2011 12:37 PM

No rattling up or down on my 2000......

maroman88 03-07-2011 02:04 PM

nope

03WhiteConv 03-07-2011 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Marc@Vettenuts.net (Post 1576972411)
I just fixed my dad's 99 Vert door from the rattle. You can adjust some of it out at times. Some are worn past the point of return.

No fair teasing, how did you do it?

LSGUN 03-07-2011 10:19 PM

My 98 coupe rattles a bit when the window is part way down but I think there is an adjustment you can make inside the door to hold the window better just something my friend told me but I haven't looked into it yet best of luck :cheers:

See5see6 03-08-2011 12:16 AM

From the day I picked up my new 2000 vert the windows have rattled when they are down and the door is shut. Even if gently shut.........rattle, rattle. I have never cared enough to do anything about it. When under warranty I thought that the rattle would be easier to live with than having a dealer try to fix it.

Now I am so used to it I don't think a thing about it. Gives me warm feelings and memories about my first car, a '51 Chev. 4dr. :D

MCVetteLs6 03-08-2011 09:54 AM

2001 coupe..

my driver side and passenger side windows/door rattles when..

the windows up
windows down
door opens or closes
hit a bump
driving on smooth surface.
anytime between 0-100 mph

does not rattle when
Music is turned up all the way.. well it may rattle but i cant hear it that way. :-)

taking panels off this weekend and going to get elbow deep..

Good luck!

kenc5 03-08-2011 01:51 PM

Mine do. It's a Chebby, it rattles.
My MB E350 Cabriolet doesn't.

DeeGee 03-08-2011 03:02 PM

Never had any problems with the windows (unlike the door locks) but, yes, I have rattles when the windows are down. Its still rattle free when they're up.

corvettepete 03-08-2011 11:31 PM

The driver's side rattles just a little when shut in the down position. The passenger side - not at all. It's a Chevy. The C6 quality, at least as far as squeeks and rattles, is much better.

alyaub 06-19-2012 01:51 PM

Here is a possible rattle fix. My '99 C5 convertible had a nasty rattle with windows down, driver’s side much worse than passenger. Fix was about an hour per door, most time required to remove door panels. Drivers side issue was the rubber sleeve on the post at the base of window regulator (behind stereo speaker). Passenger side fix was easier, window regulator nut (behind reflector) had loosened -- added Loctite and tightened nut, problem(s) solved!!!

Khaalathas 06-19-2012 02:24 PM

no rattle on mine 04 z06

04blackice 06-19-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC (Post 1576970534)

Im same way yelling at wife.son.friends.dont slam fn door.guess i got it from my dad when i was a little brat

dadaroo 06-20-2012 12:43 PM

My 2001 Convertible driver side window does rattle when I close it. Not a bad rattle, but noticable. When I park it in warm weather I lower the window about 2 inches. No rattle when it is not lowered. Does not bother me since I never slam the door. Not sure if the passenger side does it too, but except it will do it also.

Jistari 06-21-2012 02:45 AM

I wouldnt say mine rattles, but my drivers side door does sound hollow (like a bang) but my pass side sounds like a clunk, niether sounds broken.

Raiku898 06-21-2012 10:54 AM

No rattles at all in my 98. The only noise I have in the car at all is a clip or something on the passenger side seatbelt that makes noise when I am going 50+ with the windows down.

RichAshley-Black99 06-21-2012 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC (Post 1576970534)

Yep me too LOL kids and the wife

red03vette 06-21-2012 03:38 PM

window on the drivers side rattles when down, no rattles when up though. pass side no problems at all. one day going to take off the door panels to replace the stock speakers, going to see about fixing it then. :thumbs:

chasboy 06-21-2012 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oldvetter (Post 1576981172)
Not only does my 1998 Coupe rattle when you close the door with thw glass down, BUT it also rattles with the window all the way down while driving. You only have to touch the up button to make it stop rattling, you can't even see the glass after this.

Same symptom on my '02 Z.

RC000E 06-21-2012 05:29 PM

Mine don't make noise, but I'm sure to have the windows up or most of the way down when the door closes....kind of like a pet peeve of mine to avoid having loose window regulator mechanisms. I never drive with the window only a little way down either, due to it having all that upper end weight shaking around and yanking on the mechanism inside the door, loosening things up. I either only crack them, or I go over 50% of the way down.

Yes...I'm compulsive bout avoiding rattling window regulator mechanisms. My C4 sounded like hell when you closed the door with the window partially or all the way down...sounded like junk. Never again...lol.