Hot starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:28 PM
ThatVguy
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hot starting problem

Hello people!

I'm hoping someone has a magic rabbit hidden somewhere, we're having problems with the 89 TPI and I really just don't know where else to look.

I'll start from the beginning;

This car has always had a hard start problem but it's never been a major issue. It would either take ~ 5-7 seconds of cranking to start the first time, or 1-2 seconds of initial crank and then after cycling the key on/off it would then fire right up the second time.

We replaced the fuel pump and that seemed to resolve this problem.

The car then sat for maybe 2-3 months (I know, it's the first time it's happened)
Dead battery aside, it fired right up. We drove it for about 20 miles before it started misfiring fairly badly, but we managed to limp it back home.

When we got back, it wouldn't restart.

Diagnosed that it didn't have spark. We replaced the distributor assembly (it had a new cap,rotor and coil before anyway) and again started right up, but after running it up to tempreature, the car would not start.

it cranks nicely, but will not fire

We verified fuel pressure was OK, and that the car was getting spark.

researching old TSB's we ended up replacing both MAF relays and the car again will start when it's cold but will not start while hot.

I also rented a couple of noid lights but can't really tell if the injectors are firing or not (the bulb seems to light up but it's very weak)

We're out of ideas right now

list of stuff replaced within the last year/ 3K miles;

knock sensor
spark plugs
Most of the 'electronic ignition control modules'
Wire's/distributor.

We did end up being able to drive it up to the post office < 2-3miles away but it was running pretty rough.

We've verified timing is good as well.

At this point we're thinking;

ECM or MAF.

On original injectors.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:39 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When I had my 89, it started miss firing and bucking, finally took it to the dealership, they replaced the ECM and it ran stronger then it's done in years.

If was in your shoes, and I was, I would pay dealership to diagnose it, and stop throwing parts that hasn't fixed the problem.

There people here guessing on diagnosing your car unseen, which you know you doesn't work just like throwing parts into the engine.

You don't have to have it repaired after they give you diagnose you can buy the parts and install them yourself if it to much for repairs.

You got my two cents.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 08-11-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:24 PM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Have you put an ohmmeter on those original injectors? Check them hot and cold. I recall they should read between 12 and 14.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:46 AM
ThatVguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by summerst
Have you put an ohmmeter on those original injectors? Check them hot and cold. I recall they should read between 12 and 14.
one was 5.5, two others were 10 and 12, the others were 16.

that was cold.

I'll be checking the SM to verify the ranges.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 PM
ThatVguy
Instructor

so, for future post searchers, this turned out to be fuel injector

car fires up FAST (used to take a long time), runs great and has cured the problem,

we ended up replacing two of the MAF relays on an old TSB as well, but new SS Delphis really fixed the problem. Thanks for all the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Hot starting problem

Quick Reply: Hot starting problem