C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

fuel gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 11:40 AM
rogers 64
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel gauge problem

64 coupe. The fuel gauge only would read to "1/3" before restoration with full tank. So, in rebuild we put new wiring harness in dash. Took out tank sender unit and sent it out for rebuild. Checked all connection, etc. Put it back in and when filled the tank full, it read "full". After first tank was used a refill and again the gauge only went to read "1/3. So, 1. could the sending unit arm be hitting the fuel tank as the fuel supply goes down and getting stuck? If so, if I drain the fuel can I get in with light and mirror (difficult) and see if I can find if the sending arm is hitting? Or 2.Drain tank and take out the sending unit to see if is the sending unit again (the rebuild was by a reputable repair shop in Hollister,Ca that does C2 sending units)? Or, 3. Should I drain the fuel tank. Then, see if the gauge reads "empty" and refill to see if it goes to 1/3 again and that might tell me if the sending arm/float is sticking somewhere? Frustrating!!!!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:25 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

It should be easy access to lift and push down the lever in the fuel tank on the C2 to check if he fuel gauge shows more when the lever in the tank is lifted up and less when the lever is pushed down

I would try something like this first

Be careful so you do not drop anything in the fuel tank

Quick Reply: fuel gauge problem