C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

'89 engine removal.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
DucXL
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '89 engine removal.

Every nut and bolt i touch on this 60k mile coupe leads to more worn parts.That is ok.not what i expected,but my wife notes the two steel cranked 350s we did back in the late 80s.We've built two good motorcycle engines since then,a crap Sportster and a very successful Ducati Superbike/w 14:1.

The engine in the Vette,in our minds HAS to come out for cleaning the bay and oil pan and timing cover gaskets.We'll likely do rear main seal and timing gears.We have 8 new injectors.Our plan,we have an electricians book of wire markers to number and record the location of all connectors.I understand(?) the engine will unbolt from the bellhousing/TC. and lift out the side of the car.The radiator can stay in the car? I need a new engine stand,cheap useful recommendation for a one time use? Also,i was always successful with a chain and eyelets bolted to the intake bolts to attach to my engine hoist.Do i NEED one of those tilting thingys? I hope you guys can assist with good knowledge.I will also begin a search but am currently very anxious about embarking on this project.

advice? Any and all appreciated

Thanks for reading,i am very concerned.

Last edited by DucXL; 02-20-2013 at 09:29 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just the motor no trans shouldnt need a tilter. Sure is easier with.
When you go to lift it up if it comes at a funky angle you can always set it back down and reattach your chain at a different location. Be careful
Old 02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
DucXL
Instructor

Does the chain attach across or diagonally? I can't quite remember.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 AM
DucXL
Instructor

Oh yeah,front to back.I'll look for a filter today.I am losing my storage this December.I gotta hustle/w all the other issues.never have discharged an A/C system.I think I. Should loosen the shrader valve on the accumulator.correct? Just thinking while viewing this thread
Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

You definitely don't have to discharge the A/C...or really pull the motor. It's possible to do everything on your OP with the motor in place.

That said, I pulled mine by hooking a chain diagonally using long bolts in place of intake bolts. You may need to reposition links but the front definitely needs to tilt upward -- which can be accomplished via your chain hookup.

Some rental places rent stands/pullers. Buying on CL is probably best...cause you can always re-sell and get all/most of your money back.

Don't discharge that A/C. Unmount and lay it to the side.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What they said. I would pull the radiator also. Can be pulled with it in place but why take the chance. Also pay attention to the wiper motor. One last thing, be safe on what engine stand you elect to use. The Harbor Freight ElChepo will hold the engine but it,IMHO, is not all that safe.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

i bought the Harbor cherry picker ( buy the more expensive one..the legs fit under the car and the upper bar reaches far enough in,,the cheap one doesnt), tilt tool and an engine stand. no problems . Craig list is another great source for cheap tools.Yanking the tranny with it is a great time to clean it but to also do a "reseal" job on it. good luck.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM
DucXL
Instructor

Well I got the tilter thing and a stand from the local speed shop for $125.thanks,I may not discharge the
A/C.the car IS on jackstands.Is it unsafe to pull the engine whilst on stands? I think it needs to be up because of the trans separation.I've pulled SBCs a few times .if anything I am planning is unsafe pls speak up.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by DucXL
Well I got the tilter thing and a stand from the local speed shop for $125.thanks,I may not discharge the
A/C.the car IS on jackstands.Is it unsafe to pull the engine whilst on stands? I think it needs to be up because of the trans separation.I've pulled SBCs a few times .if anything I am planning is unsafe pls speak up.
Ok on jackstands. I've done it dozens of times by myself and I'm not squashed yet. make sure you support the tranny so it doesn't bend the cbeam after you get separation.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:50 PM
DucXL
Instructor

Also,as i ready to pull this thing,do the exhaust manifolds have to unbolt from the heads?
Or just the pipes from the manifolds? Going to douche the manifold studs/w PB blaster to free up the nuts from the rust.

As a CNC machinist i delight in engine mechanics
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you must pull the engine, you can pull it and leave the trans in the car, just a few bolts around the bellhousing. Easy job, do not remove the clamshell.. See below

Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM
DucXL
Instructor

I know this isn't my personal BLOG but i have questions.Some of my friends are baffled,and wonder why i lack self confidence.I KNOW i am capable.........however,this engine bay is a cesspool.Everything is onsite now for the removal.

I now WANT the transmission out too.My question,what is the best way? My '69 Camaro was easy to pull the trans WHILE still bolted to the engine.Can i do this HERE? Or will the hood now obstruct? Or maybe drop the trans from the bottom first? This last question(i remember from experience)will be tough because of the brute strength needed to drop out and lift back at assembly.

Your thoughtful comments are greatly appreciated

Oh yeah,my mother-in-law (83yo) had sold me the car and it is in her garage.Mine is too small,which is why i haven't wrenched a car in so long.Problem is,she's about to be commited to a nursing home and i will lose my ability to use her garage,at a very inoportune time,creating STRESS

Last edited by DucXL; 02-24-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: CLARITY
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Remove the exhaust system and toss it in the recycle bin. Replace it with long tube headers. The tranny will be right there so roll it out !
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM
ejscarfo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
Remove the exhaust system and toss it in the recycle bin. Replace it with long tube headers. The tranny will be right there so roll it out !
Remove the exhaust to drop the tranny. This is best done on a lift IMO.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:49 PM
DucXL
Instructor

Actually,I've not given much thought to the exhaust.fairly new I'd rather not touch it.
I have realised my residential garage was overwhelmed.I just relocated to a real Monster Garage/w all amenities.just got my Go-Jacks today and am back on track.my engine hoist just may not see use.
We plan on attaching my New engine tilter to the John Deere back hoe and lift BOTH the engine and trans together.

Last edited by DucXL; 03-08-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Just BOB
Racer

We plan on attaching my New engine tilter to the John Deere back hoe and lift BOTH the engine and trans together.

There's not much fidelity to a back hoe. I'd use the engine hoist. That way if you hang on something or forget to disconnect a cable or hose you stand a better chance of feeling the resistance and investigating before you damage something.

Of course, if you aare filming a redneck reality show, have at it!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:42 PM
DucXL
Instructor

Hahaha! My friend is very adept to back hoe use.however,he proposes hanging a rainfall from it and utilizing the rainfall to hoist the engine/trans.once clear , he'll drive away with the assembly hanging clear.
A truly MONSTER garage.

Get notified of new replies

To '89 engine removal.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Just BOB
Racer

A truly MONSTER garage.
If you can get a back hoe in there and raise the bucket, that IS a monster garage. If you were in Bristol TENNESSEE, I'd have to make a day trip and come help pull that puppy and see the garage for myself!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

You could always go this route.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:59 PM
DucXL
Instructor

My friend from toddler age built this last Summer.He keeps 2 GTOs' and an old 20000 mile Porsche.

I realised today the exhaust must remove back to front.Got a difficult to reach rh exhaust manifold nut.Wondering if i can simplify the emissions somewhat.A long pipe fron near the rear cat to the AIR diverter confuses.

Quick Reply: '89 engine removal.