C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you just "hollow out" a catalytic converter with a broomstick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2002, 06:41 PM
gray84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you just "hollow out" a catalytic converter with a broomstick?

Just wondering if this is true. And if it is, is it a good or a bad idea? Thanks-
Old 02-15-2002, 06:55 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Default Re: Can you just "hollow out" a catalytic converter with a broomstick? (gray84)

I found an iron pipe and hammer worked best :smash: :smash: :smash:

Some folks claim that it creates a lot of turbulance in the cat. A straight thru pipe is better.

I say a gutted cat is better than a cat any day.

I had a real tough time seperating my cat from the Y-pipe. Ended up getting a new cheapie just to hollow it out. Used to be able to get 'test pipes' :lol: :lol: but have not seen them around in years.

If you have a friendly muffler man, they might make one up for you. Just don't ask them to put it on. Just give them the exact dimensions of what you need :yesnod:
Old 02-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can you just "hollow out" a catalytic converter with a broomstick? (gray84)

...I believe a "bedknob" is the desired tool... :jester
Old 02-15-2002, 07:14 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, you probably can. I had to use a crow bar (similar to the pipe, used above). Mine was melted down to the point that the wooden handle wouldn't have done it.

Is it a good idea? You will get varing opinions on this. Mine was clogged. I had lost a full second in the 1/4. Something HAD to be done, and I couldn't afford a new converter. A gutted converter MAY be worth 2-3 tenths in the 1/4 over a fully functioning converter. Personally, I wouldn't do that to the air we all breath for the improvement. BUT, I do still pass emissions inspection.

If you have the '84 that your user name suggests, the converter is attached by a 4 bolt flange, front and rear. For me, the hardest part of the job was getting working room. Once you have access, all you have to do is remove some heat shields, and wrench away. Don't forget the tube from the AIR pump, but it is a pretty straight forward job, with the flanges.
Old 02-15-2002, 07:28 PM
dtorc4
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the handle from one of my floor jacks. I don't think the broom handle would have enough mass and "chipping ability" to knock it out. A long screwdriver w/ a hammer would work well.
Old 02-15-2002, 08:43 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on the style of the cat, just knocking out the insides can create a lot of turbulence in the exhaust. It might perform better than with the catalyst, but it would be better still if you put a pipe through it. The extra turbulence can also lead to extra resonance.

If there are no emissions in your area, why screw around with it? Just cut it off and save the weight as well.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:24 PM
M2001
Burning Brakes

I think using a pry bar of some sort is the best method to gut a cat. Once the cat is hollowed out, get a length of straight pipe and sleeve the empty cat. It will look as though you have a cat in place, you won't have to worry about turbulance issues either. I guess if you mig weld the sleeved pipe to the cat, it would stay inplace without rattling. Just an idea, I haven't done such a thing but I bet you could.
Old 02-15-2002, 10:17 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Can you just "hollow out" a catalytic converter with a broomstick? (M2001)

I think using a pry bar of some sort is the best method to gut a cat. Once the cat is hollowed out, get a length of straight pipe and sleeve the empty cat. It will look as though you have a cat in place, you won't have to worry about turbulance issues either. I guess if you mig weld the sleeved pipe to the cat, it would stay inplace without rattling. Just an idea, I haven't done such a thing but I bet you could.
Best way to do it. If you have to pass a visual but no sniffer, you've got the effect of a straight pipe with the look of a cat. If it's bolted on at both ends it should be cake to put a pipe through it.
Old 02-16-2002, 02:51 AM
Monkey Business
Instructor

There are 3 ways to do this: 1- cut your pipe right behind the cat and use a piece of pipe about 18" long and hammer away. It works best on a hoist with the vehicle running. Use a coat hanger to get the pieces out that are stubborn. 2- Take of your cat, open it up, gut it, and reweld it closed. 3- Have your friendly muffler shop cut it out and use a cheater pipe. It usually works if YOU tell them that you would like to make it a cash deal with no receipt. It's against the law for them to do it and this way there is no paper trail to come back on them. Hope this helps. :seeya
Old 10-07-2015, 02:48 PM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Monkey Business
There are 3 ways to do this: 1- cut your pipe right behind the cat and use a piece of pipe about 18" long and hammer away. It works best on a hoist with the vehicle running. Use a coat hanger to get the pieces out that are stubborn. 2- Take of your cat, open it up, gut it, and reweld it closed. 3- Have your friendly muffler shop cut it out and use a cheater pipe. It usually works if YOU tell them that you would like to make it a cash deal with no receipt. It's against the law for them to do it and this way there is no paper trail to come back on them. Hope this helps.
Number 3 option is a tough one. It is a $10,000 fine per pipe, loss of business license, loss of State Inspection License. The muffler shop can't plead ignorance because the State is always harping on them! AND they are NEVER off the hook! If you sell the car and don't take those off, the buyer, whenever they choose, can go after you for new cats when they don't pass. They WILL go after you and you will have to divulge who did it or your out the 20K and new cats (worse case scenario of course)!

The State even goes as far as showing testimonials from muffler shops that have gotten in trouble for this... letting everybody know it can happen to them. The muffler shop I deal with WILL NOT even talk about it he's so scared! For real!

That's a lot to ask from a friendly muffler shop business man.

I'm not giving you heck, Corvette Owners reading that... well, just be aware.

Chuck M

Last edited by hotmotorsports; 10-07-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:22 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by hotmotorsports
Number 3 option is a tough one. It is a $10,000 fine per pipe, loss of business license, loss of State Inspection License. The muffler shop can't plead ignorance because the State is always harping on them! AND they are NEVER off the hook! If you sell the car and don't take those off, the buyer, whenever they choose, can go after you for new cats when they don't pass. They WILL go after you and you will have to divulge who did it or your out the 20K and new cats (worse case scenario of course)!

The State even goes as far as showing testimonials from muffler shops that have gotten in trouble for this... letting everybody know it can happen to them. The muffler shop I deal with WILL NOT even talk about it he's so scared! For real!

Chuck M
Why is this 13 yr old thread being dug up?
Old 10-07-2015, 03:29 PM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I looked up something, this came up and I commented on it without paying attention to the date!

Sorry to have disturbed your slumber!

I guess I was in one, huh!

Chuck M
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, 13 years old or not, just tell the shop you are from VW and its for your Diesel.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:55 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
It's almost Halloween and the zombie threads are out !👻👻👻💀💀👽👽
Old 10-07-2015, 10:35 PM
barbedwiredave
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-07-2015, 11:33 PM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by hotmotorsports

Chuck M
I don't think that they can make you reimburse the purchaser for new catalytic converters. Aren't all cars sold as is when they are private party sales? And plus, I think it's actually $2500 for operating a vehicle with tampered emissions control systems. By the way, it's not just cats. It's, EGR, EVAP, and AIR that all fall under the same category as catalytic converters when it comes to penalties I believe. And even something as simple as changing the exhaust pipe to an aftermarket system that still has cats is illegal! It's a bunch of BS.

By the way, I have only ever heard of one person getting busted and fined for not having cats and that was something on the internet. I don't think the EPA really gives a crap about individual people violating the law. They're more concerned with shops doing it where they can make a lot of money. On top of that, I'm not sure your average cop would even know how to write up a citation for a federal crime like that, let alone know what a catalytic converter even is...
Old 10-07-2015, 11:45 PM
jdr650920
Cruising

Look on Ebay they have them !

Get notified of new replies

To Can you just "hollow out" a catalytic converter with a broomstick?

Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My favorite tool is a sharpend piece of rebar and a big ball peen hammer.I kind of wonder about the stuff coming out-if its poisonous or not.I should be dead by now.I would say you should be wearing a dust mask ,safety glasses and gloves.The sleeving idea is great-I might have to try it some day.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:28 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I have seen a few roadside emission checkpoints in my travels and they all had a wrecker ready to tow violators.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kimmer
I have seen a few roadside emission checkpoints in my travels and they all had a wrecker ready to tow violators.
Oooo. That's nasty!

Chuck M

Quick Reply: Can you just "hollow out" a catalytic converter with a broomstick?