C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Bolt Issue

Old 03-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Crank Bolt Issue

Does anyone know why this is an issue for only certain vehicles? I know the vin range 3000 to 11039. I'm 10843. Can everyone in that range expect to have a problem. Is it the way the car is driven, racing vs. crusing etc. I only have 500 miles. Mine came from Kerbeck. I'm going to try to get them to PM the job. Right not I have no problems, but I got my fingers crossed. Corporate GM told me yesterday if it aint broke they don't want to know about it. They are making me sorrier by the day!
Old 03-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Sorry, but as of now, there is no way to tell nothin'! It's a frikken crapshoot, but at least the odds are stacked mightily in your favor.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:26 AM
Sparky65
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think any other manufacturer would tell you anything different? I don't think so! All of the major manufacturer's have issues like this (Toyota, Honda, Nissan included) but only because of an open forum like this do you hear of this "Corvette Crisis" so to speak. It is unfortunate this has become such a widespread issue and there have been numerous threads on the topic. Apparently GM does not think it is enough of an issue to initiate a recall. Enjoy your Corvette and don't lose the faith. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:54 AM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky65
Do you think any other manufacturer would tell you anything different? I don't think so! All of the major manufacturer's have issues like this (Toyota, Honda, Nissan included) but only because of an open forum like this do you hear of this "Corvette Crisis" so to speak. It is unfortunate this has become such a widespread issue and there have been numerous threads on the topic. Apparently GM does not think it is enough of an issue to initiate a recall. Enjoy your Corvette and don't lose the faith. Good luck.

Ford's new recall of F150 based vehicles was based on 200 events out of 4,000.000 vehicles. The Vette issue will be knocking on the door of 100 in a few weeks, if cars continue to break - out of 7,000. I'd say that's enough for a preventive recall of a safety issue. Just my opinion.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:09 AM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Elective Repair

My dealer (at my request) checked on service post..After a quick conferance with C6 Tech we agreed to do repair ..done 2/23...Nice clean job....Tech said mine Vin#2048 showed no sign of problem, but I know its done ,and wont worry about it again...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:15 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by catbert
Ford's new recall of F150 based vehicles was based on 200 events out of 4,000.000 vehicles. The Vette issue will be knocking on the door of 100 in a few weeks, if cars continue to break - out of 7,000. I'd say that's enough for a preventive recall of a safety issue. Just my opinion.
It could be much worse of a problem than it currently appears because a lot of the cars in the suspect VIN range are hibernating over the winter. Here in Chicago, I have only seen a few C6's on the road since its introduction. Once spring comes, these cars will be on the road in greater numbers. It will be interesting to see if we get a new surge in failures come April and May. If the numbers multiply, at some point GM has to act. Conversely, if most of the failures are behind us, GM will just write it off as one time problem of limited scope.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I agree with you. I got my car in Dec. and because of the weather, I have only put 500 miles on mine.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:38 AM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

One other point I forgot to mention. When I learned that my Mil Yellow order did not get in under the deadline, my dealer asked me if it was OK for him to find me a replacement Mil Yellow six speed from another dealer. I gave him the go ahead.
Then, I remembered that the Chevy site has a search feature where you can look for a particular car in dealer inventory, within a certain geographic area. So, I spent about an hour looking for a car that fit my requirements.
When I found a car that seemed to be close to what I wanted, I further discovered that you can get the complete description of the car, with MSRP, all options and the VIN number.
I was surprised how many cars in the suspect VIN range are still on the dealers lots, as yet unsold. The one I am getting is in the 18000 range, but there was one available at around VIN 4000 and two others just under 11,000.
Mine was a limited sample because there were few Mil Yellow six speeds to be found, and I did not check any other colors at all. Also, I was only looking for cars within a 100 mile radius of Chicago.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:33 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by juiceman03070
My dealer (at my request) checked on service post..After a quick conferance with C6 Tech we agreed to do repair ..done 2/23...Nice clean job....Tech said mine Vin#2048 showed no sign of problem, but I know its done ,and wont worry about it again...
What great service - I'm jealous.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

8,100 trouble free miles so far and you can bet it's been driven like it was stolen on a few of those miles. MN6
Old 03-25-2005, 03:03 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,219 Likes on 409 Posts

Based on the current numbers, you have a .7% chance of having a problem. That may climb closer to 1% if a few more cars show the problem as more miles accumulate. As has been stated by others many times before, you have a very small chance of ever seeing this problem. If, at some point, GM feels this is becoming a major issue, or if they are forced to, a recall will likely be issued. Personally, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I'm approaching 2,000 miles quickly and have a monitoring paint mark on my bolt. The bolt is as tight as when the car was new, the belt looks new, and I don't expect to have a problem...just like the 11,000 or so of the effected vehicles that haven't had a problem.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:04 PM
DANNOV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StanNH
Based on the current numbers, you have a .7% chance of having a problem. That may climb closer to 1% if a few more cars show the problem as more miles accumulate. As has been stated by others many times before, you have a very small chance of ever seeing this problem. If, at some point, GM feels this is becoming a major issue, or if they are forced to, a recall will likely be issued. Personally, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I'm approaching 2,000 miles quickly and have a monitoring paint mark on my bolt. The bolt is as tight as when the car was new, the belt looks new, and I don't expect to have a problem...just like the 11,000 or so of the effected vehicles that haven't had a problem.
I'm not sure the .7% or 1% is a valid number, because some unknown number of these cars are in hibernation for the winter, or are still on dealers lots waiting to be sold. It is a bit too early to compute probabilities. Come spring and the cars will get on the street. and more buyers will appear as weather improves; then, we will know the full extent of the problem.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:55 PM
pitrider
Pro

GM needs to recall all suspected C6 cars and perform the repair..I personally will not spend $50G for another vette or GM vehicle ever again..C6 was my last corvette unless GM gets their head out of their as$
Old 03-25-2005, 05:22 PM
mikejofgb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StanNH

Can you post a picture showing where the bolt is, so I can monitor mine as well? That sounds like a great idea to see if it's loosening.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:48 PM
catbert
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pitrider
GM needs to recall all suspected C6 cars and perform the repair..I personally will not spend $50G for another vette or GM vehicle ever again..C6 was my last corvette unless GM gets their head out of their as$

What I've been saying for three weeks. My C6 is the last GM car I'll own if they don't step up...a promise. I've cancelled the order for a new GM small car for my daughter within the last week.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:08 PM
mikeyc6
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I've been saying for three weeks. My C6 is the last GM car I'll own if they don't step up...a promise. I've cancelled the order for a new GM small car for my daughter within the last week.
You'd better ban all cars from all manufacturers then. Every car ever made and every one that will ever be made in the future will have it's own problems. The C6 has some cases of the crank pulley problem. The C5's had plenty of issues, more than the C6, all the way up through 2004. 911's have the rear main seal issue. The new Mustang as a TSB list a mile long already.

The only reason you are subject to such paranoia on the C6 CP is because of forums like this where the problem gets blown way out of proportion.

Mike
Old 03-25-2005, 07:10 PM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Have you actually had a conversation with Service Manager about this problem...Yes I am very happy with my service (EVEN THOUGH YOU THINK ITS FUNNY)...

Get notified of new replies

To Crank Bolt Issue

Old 03-25-2005, 11:12 PM
tdixon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by juiceman03070
Did you pay to have the rework done? I took my 500 mile C6 Vin #103889 back to my dealer to just have the pulley/bolt looked at and they would not do a d__m thing. Said they are only paid to fix problems not to do preventive maintenance. What a deal!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:43 PM
smook
Melting Slicks

It bother me enough to trade the car in.
I caught a new C6, and moved up to a 'vert.

I noticed a number of improvements from the early C6 to this later C6 BTW.

-Bill.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:58 AM
juiceman03070
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tdixon
Did you pay to have the rework done? I took my 500 mile C6 Vin #103889 back to my dealer to just have the pulley/bolt looked at and they would not do a d__m thing. Said they are only paid to fix problems not to do preventive maintenance. What a deal!
This was a no charge retrofit....Dealer actually called two days after to ask if all was O.K. ,oil drips ect. Maybe I actually dealt with the kind of dealership that they all CLAIM to be....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crank Bolt Issue