C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Headers for my 1970 Corvette BB RamJet 502 GM crate motor

Old 11-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Exhaust Headers for my 1970 Corvette BB RamJet 502 GM crate motor

I am in the middle of installing the Ram Jet 502 GM crate motor in my 1970 BB coupe. Unfortunatly I have hit a bump in the road!! Does anyone know where I can get a set of headers and pipes for a side pipe application. NOT Holley,aready know they won't fit. (see 70vert's post on Holley BB header sidepipes). I am looking for something similar to the Stahl small block model #115 that Rolling Thunder turned me on to. Their web site only indicates small block,but I have an e-mail request in to see if they have one for the 502. My guess is, not likley. I would like to either interface to my stock side pipes ( not the best solution for performance) or get a fabricated 3" side pipe that would fit under my fiberglass stock looking side pipe covers. The 502 Ramjet has "Edelbrock built for GM" aluminum heads that have a clearance "challenge" between the 502's lower head bolts and my stock corvette cast iron manifolds. To "help" elevate some of the clearance problem I have found a set of ARP Head bolts that are a little over 1/8" lower profile. That should help but not sure if it is all that will be needed. A set of Headers with their header flange would have a easier interface since the flange could be notched to avoid interference. I also need to check spark plug clearance since it looks like they are slightly different from the stock 454 heads, GM Pace Performance said their would be no problem, but that comes from someone that said all accessories would bolt right up!!!!!! I talked to Headman Headers and their Tech guy said the Model 68210 would not work with the aluminum head 502. With further questioning, I determined that it was this bolt clearance problem that probably could be fixed with a little grinding, and a spark plug clearance issue. Besides only having 1 3/4 primaries, the last one is what really scared me away. Anyway, has any one had experience with the RamJet 502 and can provide any help in this area???

Bob
Old 11-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 387 Likes on 235 Posts

Default Re: Exhaust Headers for my 1970 Corvette BB RamJet 502 GM crate motor (Bullshark)

Hooker Sidemount headers will work for your application. :yesnod:
Old 11-18-2003, 11:01 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Exhaust Headers for my 1970 Corvette BB RamJet 502 GM crate motor (Bullshark)

Welcome to the forum Bob, glad to you've checked in! :cheers: If you want the info on Stahl headers, go bach to the page you were at and look in the top row of the screen and click on BB Chevy. Click on 215 and at the bottom of the page you'll find the 216's, Corvette Bigblock with high port heads.

You'll get lots of great info here. We also need to see picks of your stable. Pretty nice collection of sharks!

Dave
Old 11-18-2003, 11:15 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Re: Exhaust Headers for my 1970 Corvette BB RamJet 502 GM crate motor (Rolling Thunder)

Hi Dave, Thanks, I will do that. also, I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how its done??
Old 11-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

If you need a place to host the picture, just email it to me and I'll upload it to my website.

[Modified by Rolling Thunder, 11:15 PM 11/18/2003]
Old 11-19-2003, 12:06 AM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Default Re: Exhaust Headers for my 1970 Corvette BB RamJet 502 GM crate motor (Rolling Thunder)

Thanks dave, The 70 thats gettin the Ramjet is the one in back. Need to play close attention to your hood work since the Ramjet needs 1" more clearance!!!!

[Modified by Bullshark, 11:22 PM 11/18/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Headers for my 1970 Corvette BB RamJet 502 GM crate motor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust Headers for my 1970 Corvette BB RamJet 502 GM crate motor