Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM
lenbal
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 74 Auto Coupe D-shape steering wheel and C5 or C6 seats

HI
I'm looking for a D-shaped steerig wheel for my 74 auto, coupe. I'm a disabled veteran and have trouble getting in and out. It doesn't have a tilt and I can't afford one. So the D-shape should do the trick. I have looked all over the web, some cost more then the tilt column, can anyone direct me to a $100-$150 steering wheel.

I would like to install C5 or C6 seats. i'm sure someone has done it. Where did you find them, cost, what issues did you have installing? Like replacing rails, did the seats fit, where you able to hook up electronics for forward,back, tilt, ect. How did you bolt them in. how did it change how you got in and out of the car, where they a lot higher. bottom line everything you did and how was the end result??

thanks Len
Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 PM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hi Len. Thanks for your service and the price you paid. If you are having trouble getting in and out of your '74 the C5 or C6 seats are only going to make it worse. With the motors under the seats they sit higher and make for a tight squeeze. Some people have modified the floor to accommodate but that has it own problems.

I mounted my C5 seats on the C3 manual tracks by making some adapter plates. This lets you still move the seats forward and back but you lose the power features.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This is a stock 1974 plastic steering wheel (albeit painted red). Could you not just have a local machine shop cut the wheel just below the upper spokes and the lower indented spoke near the center, leaving the indent and upper spoke center attachment surfaces intact. That should ensure mounting integrity and give you a "D" configuration.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Raphiki
If you are having trouble getting in and out of your '74 the C5 or C6 seats are only going to make it worse.

I mounted my C5 seats to the C3 tracks, and they definitely sit higher, maybe up to 2". You could mount them directly on the floorboards, but I'm still not sure that would gain much room over the stock C3 seats.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure but I think Grant made the wheel your looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To 74 Auto Coupe D-shape steering wheel and C5 or C6 seats

Quick Reply: 74 Auto Coupe D-shape steering wheel and C5 or C6 seats