Sponsored by:

Putting a Tilt/Tele in a non Tilt/Tele

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:05 PM
Delta26
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Putting a Tilt/Tele in a non Tilt/Tele

I'm looking for a '73 and want tilt/tele. Is it fairly reasonable, price wise, if I find my car without tilt/tele to change to it?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 PM
69FASTFUN
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 142 Posts

I purchased a 72 without tilt and I am going to install it, when I compared the tilt to the original non tilt they are the same size so I don't think there will be an issue although I did hear that the electrical connection is slightly different.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta26
I'm looking for a '73 and want tilt/tele. Is it fairly reasonable, price wise, if I find my car without tilt/tele to change to it?
I put one in my 70 years ago. Bought one at Carlisle. A fairly easy change. I don't recall what the price was. Maybe you should check the parts for sale section or ebay to get an idea what they sell for now?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:11 PM
HUSKEE73
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

tilt tele columns average cost 750,for one in good condition.it may need a few things after you find one.upper and lower bearings,turn signal switch,lock shoe pins,pivot pins,tighten the column head support screws,etc.in general a thorough inspection,so you can get it all up to spec.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 AM
javaman
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 375 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

On my "to do" list as well. Like HUSKEE 73, my research shows costs to be in the $750 - $800 range.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 AM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this is something I will be looking at too, after resent hip surgery, I have to sit -n-spin to get in . and without tilt its still a little painful.

but once I fire her up, it all goes away
Old 05-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

All T&T steering columns from 1969 through 1982 will fit. Some internal parts in a 1969 T&T are unique and the column would be more difficult to repair. The 1978 through 1982 T&T columns have to have some slight modification of the plastic shroud for clearance where it meets the instrument panel.

When you go from a standard (non-adjustable) steering column to a T&T the wiring to the ignition switch (on top of the steering column jacket - down under the dash) you will need to twist the two electrical connectors on the vehicle wiring harness so they install reverse from the standard column orientation.

Also you might find that the plastic "harmonica" electrical connector from the T&T turn signal switch may not snap into the vehicle harness. If that is the case, the easiest fix is to swap the harmonica connector from your original column to the new T&T wiring.

Lastly, when you purchase the T&T column, try to purchase as much of the tilt and turn signal levers, hazard button, telescope lock, hub, horn contacts, etc that originally came with the column. Otherwise, you will be searching and paying big bucks for the missing items.

As you can see from this picture, there are a lot of steering wheel related parts that go with a T&T column.

If you want specifics on modifying a later T&T column with dimmer switch here is the address of a paper on the subject:

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=894#attachments

Good luck,
Jim
Old 05-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Delta26
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info!

Get notified of new replies

To Putting a Tilt/Tele in a non Tilt/Tele

Quick Reply: Putting a Tilt/Tele in a non Tilt/Tele