Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adhesive for "Stingray" Emblem

Old 05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adhesive for "Stingray" Emblem

I removed all my stuff before painting, does anyone know what adhesive works best to reinstall the Stingray script emblem? Looks like whatever it is I'll have to apply it and trim it with an exacto blade.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:42 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

I removed mine for painting and never bothered to reinstall with adhesive. Mine are just held on by the pressfit of the three pins. Over 6 years with no issues. Makes it very easy to wax and clean the car since I just pull the emblems off and then push them back on. Over 6 years with no issues.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi TG,
I believe there's access to at least a couple of the 'pins' on the script on each side of the body so I'd think 'speed-nuts' would secure the script in place.
Have you considered that method?
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-26-2010, 03:11 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

Originally Posted by SteveG75
I removed mine for painting and never bothered to reinstall with adhesive. Mine are just held on by the pressfit of the three pins. Over 6 years with no issues. Makes it very easy to wax and clean the car since I just pull the emblems off and then push them back on. Over 6 years with no issues.
Six years no problem great for you. (I live in Ohio our roads are junk)"I would not do this" as the original stingray emblem would be trash once it hits the pavement.
3m ( Na Na Na Napa) makes an emblem glue I would use it.And yep you gotta be careful how much you put on.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

How you install them depends on what year you have and if they are original emblems.

69-73 "Stingray" emblems had 4 long studs, that take speednuts. 74-76 Stingray emblems had 3 short studs that were just there to properly position the emblem, they were installed using double sided tape. The 74-76 studs are to short to accept speednuts.

The 74-76 style emblems are the only ones that have been available from GM for the last 20 years. Correct 69-73s are available as a repro.

If you have 69-73 emblems, they can be re-installed using speednuts. If you want to install then using the double sided "automotive trim tape", you can get it at any auto parts store. This is the same tape that the automakers use to install emblems and moldings on new cars, and body shops use it too. It won't come off unless you want it to. It's a bit of a pain, triming it with an X-Acto knife, but it can be done.

Last edited by gbvette62; 05-26-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:31 PM
0Virginia Vettes
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3M Emblem Adhesive is $5/tube. Be careful not to uses to much.
Virginia Vettes
Old 05-26-2010, 04:38 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 519 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Lon Wayne
Six years no problem great for you. (I live in Ohio our roads are junk)"I would not do this" as the original stingray emblem would be trash once it hits the pavement.
3m ( Na Na Na Napa) makes an emblem glue I would use it.And yep you gotta be careful how much you put on.
NJ roads, CT roads, RI roads, MA roads.

There is really no force on the emblems.

If you are paranoid, you a little bit of the 3M adhesive buit I would not slather the whole thing.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Frogday
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have the judging guide here, but I don't think there were speed nuts on any of the Stingray emblems...pretty sure they were all held on with pressure sensitive adhesive backing.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi FD,
I looked... you're right...no nuts for 69-72 cars.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Ahh...nuts. I know they are not supposed to be there, but I used them anyway. Tried to apply and trim double face tape but it looked like crap. I'll leave it for the next caretaker to worry about, rather than me worrying about the original scripts falling off somewhere.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:33 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Frogday
I don't have the judging guide here, but I don't think there were speed nuts on any of the Stingray emblems...pretty sure they were all held on with pressure sensitive adhesive backing.
I should have said that "69-73 Stingray emblems had 4 long studs, that WILL take speednuts".

69s may have used speednuts though, the 69 asembly manual calls for them. The aim shows the nuts in the installation illustration for the emblems and includes a part number for the them. 70 and later aims do not show the nuts in the illustration. 70-76 were held on with the tape backing, but I'm not sure about 69s.

Chevrolet may have intended to install them with speednuts or initially did, and found that because of the difficulty in accessing the back of them, they needed a different way to attach them. The studs on the 69-73 emblem are clearly long enough and sized properly to accept speednuts, and the studs are spaced to evenly hold the emblem to the fender.

Last edited by gbvette62; 05-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:48 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi TG,
I believe there's access to at least a couple of the 'pins' on the script on each side of the body so I'd think 'speed-nuts' would secure the script in place.
Have you considered that method?
Regards,
Alan
Hi Alan,

Yes but these are the 74-76 versions I guess that have the short stubby pins just for positioning. They hardley stick thru but 1/8 after they penetrate the body.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:55 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by gbvette62
How you install them depends on what year you have and if they are original emblems.

69-73 "Stingray" emblems had 4 long studs, that take speednuts. 74-76 Stingray emblems had 3 short studs that were just there to properly position the emblem, they were installed using double sided tape. The 74-76 studs are to short to accept speednuts.

The 74-76 style emblems are the only ones that have been available from GM for the last 20 years. Correct 69-73s are available as a repro.

If you have 69-73 emblems, they can be re-installed using speednuts. If you want to install then using the double sided "automotive trim tape", you can get it at any auto parts store. This is the same tape that the automakers use to install emblems and moldings on new cars, and body shops use it too. It won't come off unless you want it to. It's a bit of a pain, triming it with an X-Acto knife, but it can be done.
Yup these are the short stubby 74-76 ones. There was black double sided tape holding them when I took them off, it was sure cut nice to match the letters. I'll give it a shot with a sharp exacto knife and see how I do I guess. Hope I can get it in black
If that fails I'll try the 3M Emblem adhesive. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Thanks for all the replies and tips
Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 PM
OzzyC4
Drifting

Originally Posted by Virginia Vettes
3M Emblem Adhesive is $5/tube. Be careful not to uses to much.
Virginia Vettes
and good advice aobut using just a little bit, less than you think is a little bit!
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 AM
TopGunn
Drifting

Originally Posted by OzzyC4
and good advice aobut using just a little bit, less than you think is a little bit!
Thanks Ozzy!

I don't have the car back yet, should be a couple of weeks. I cleaned these things up, removed the old faded black highlight paint and reapplied it with an artist brush under a magnifying glass. Came out looking pretty nice.

Last edited by TopGunn; 05-27-2010 at 07:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Adhesive for "Stingray" Emblem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adhesive for "Stingray" Emblem