C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAT & Surging ??? ECS Guys please read

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 07:17 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Default CAT & Surging ??? ECS Guys please read

First off I am A&A SIC kit running 5-6# and had it tuned @ ECS, i have DRM LT headers on but still have the main CATS on the car and lately if i goose the throttle jsut right the car w/ like cut out around 4k adn then pick up, i guess teh key is that I am not totally into the gas i am only slowly leaning into it adn get to WOT at 5k

Could the CATS be blocked or is something w/ the tuning?? It has always done it (motor had 40k when SC was installed)

Also now when I am just cruising around if am goin like 35-40 and just barley touching the throttle I get some bucking and stuff liek it can't decide to give it more fuel or less fuel. I pulled the plugs all of them look great even for running 10.2-1 A/F @ WOT

Hopefully someone will ahve some input... Chris or Doug @ ECS if you get to read this let me know what you think, i am goin to come back out this spring once the pistons and rods are swapped out...

THANX Dustin
Old 11-18-2004, 07:38 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,083 Likes on 655 Posts

Duston,
Sounds like you need to log your car to start.
If your a/f is really 10.2 than something is off because there is no reason a tune should change for any reason short of reprograming.
Start with that and let me know.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:39 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a good program to "log" with??
Old 11-18-2004, 09:02 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EFILive.

Mark
Old 11-18-2004, 09:12 PM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Chris set the A/F @ 10.2 just to be safe since i m running to stock bottom end.

here is a pic of my dyno pulls that i made at your place....

i cut of the bottome but that is the RPM across the bottom of the pic

what do you think about the cats? should i ditch them before i get another tune? cause i have been reading about them getting clogged up and running the 10.2 a/f once and awhile doesn't help
Old 11-18-2004, 09:22 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Whoa! And I thought I was tuned safely at 11.6!!! I think you're single-handedly keeping OPEC in business.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:12 PM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C5kid
Chris set the A/F @ 10.2 just to be safe since i m running to stock bottom end.

here is a pic of my dyno pulls that i made at your place....

i cut of the bottome but that is the RPM across the bottom of the pic

what do you think about the cats? should i ditch them before i get another tune? cause i have been reading about them getting clogged up and running the 10.2 a/f once and awhile doesn't help
I'm having the same problem. When I hold it at slight throttle for cruise, no matter what rpm, I get some bucking. I checked my plugs and they looked fine as well. I also started out at 10.0-1 A/F and ran it that way for a little while. I thought maybe the rich tune contributed to the cats clogging up. Does that make sense? I am thinking about ditching the cats to see if thats the problem.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:05 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Gut the cats.

Mark
Old 11-19-2004, 12:24 AM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Gut the cats.

Mark
Good idea, how do I do that?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:57 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlownFRC
Good idea, how do I do that?
With mine we took a large metal bar and a hammer. Took about an hour.. Basically you put the large metal bar inside the cat (obviously the cat was removed from the car first) and bang away until the cat goes by by.

Mark
Old 11-19-2004, 10:37 AM
SleepieAce
Le Mans Master

Location: Kentucky basketball is life the rest is just details

Mine has no cats and has the same problem. A slight hesitation at 4K or so when part throttle accelerating up to redline. I'm trying a couple things. Bigger injectors (God knows why ATI supplies 38# ) and having it retuned. It's still got off the shelf tuning on it which is most of the problem I think, at least for me.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Hool97
Burning Brakes

with logging the fuel trims. You may need to adjust the VE tables. During throttle transients this controls the AFR. Then the system either switches to open loop or adjusts to the 02 sensor.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:27 PM
mfrnka
Pro

I'm getting the exact same issue. I'm running MAF-less with VE tuning. Runs great a full throttle, but part throttle if I ride up the RPMs my AFR will take a dive into the low 10s.

Anyone think this is a BOV issue? I'm still running the plastic piece of junk. Under high rpm, it could be cracking open and bleeding off air?
Old 11-19-2004, 03:40 PM
Hool97
Burning Brakes

One thing can be done if you are already MAFless is plum in a boost referrence line and connect it to a 2 or 3bar gm MAP. Send the output to an analogue input on for example an LM-1 wide band and monitor. I use this and it reads on my laptop 0-5 volts = -14.7 to 14.7 psi with a 2bar MAP. This lets me know what boost i have at a given rpm and AFR. Nice little device (i do use an rpm module with the LM-1).

This will let you know very quickly if BOV or boost loss is an issue.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:35 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Hool97
with logging the fuel trims. You may need to adjust the VE tables. During throttle transients this controls the AFR. Then the system either switches to open loop or adjusts to the 02 sensor.
So, what's considered a good tuning software to make adjustments to VE tables? If a car is already tuned using LS1edit, can you make revisions to a tune using something like HP Tuners???
Old 11-19-2004, 06:28 PM
BlackMagicC5
Melting Slicks

I don't know if this helps any, but my problem never happens in the first minute or two of driving when the car is cold. Thats when its the smoothest. After that time, at slight throttle cruise, I get some bucking. I also get it on deceleration, and sometimes right before I step on the clutch when coming to a stop.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:33 PM
dads01dream
Melting Slicks

Hey blown......

You had my attention right up to the point where you mentioned "right before I step on the clutch". My car's an A4. Maybe our issues are tuning in nature and not my t/c after all??

The plot thickens......

Get notified of new replies

To CAT & Surging ??? ECS Guys please read

Old 11-19-2004, 06:56 PM
NCxtrooper
Intermediate

I don't know if this helps any, but my problem never happens in the first minute or two of driving when the car is cold. Thats when its the smoothest. After that time, at slight throttle cruise, I get some bucking. I also get it on deceleration, and sometimes right before I step on the clutch when coming to a stop.
You need to find a good tuner!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:18 PM
myblackC5
Pro

Default cats

I'm having the same problem. When I hold it at slight throttle for cruise, no matter what rpm, I get some bucking. I checked my plugs and they looked fine as well. I also started out at 10.0-1 A/F and ran it that way for a little while. I thought maybe the rich tune contributed to the cats clogging up. Does that make sense? I am thinking about ditching the cats to see if thats the problem.
if you gut the cats it will run rich again. it will be in the open loop. running rich will ruin the cats, it's like pouring gas on a bar-b-que. get new cats.......
Old 11-19-2004, 07:23 PM
NCxtrooper
Intermediate

Originally Posted by myblackC5
if you gut the cats it will run rich again. it will be in the open loop. running rich will ruin the cats, it's like pouring gas on a bar-b-que. get new cats.......
Tuning will that care of that, you don't need cats. Gut them tune them out, get it tuned for part throttle fueling and you are good to go, not to mention adding 20 or so hp.

Quick Reply: CAT & Surging ??? ECS Guys please read