C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Dipstick for power brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 10:52 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Default Dipstick for power brakes

Now that the engine is in, I see that my dipstick is going to interfere with my new power brake master cylinder. I thought I saw a puddy tat . . . nope, that's not right, try this - I thought I saw a thread just a while back that either had pics of several boosters/MC combinations or had a link to same.

I'm having my usual poor luck with the search function - what's the deal with that? Do I have to bookmark every thread I think I may come back to some day? Anyway, does anyone have a link to that thread or perhaps have a pic showing the dipstick with power brake option?
Old 06-18-2004, 01:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Dipstick for power brakes (65air_coupe)

Only one dipstick tube was used, for all 327's - there was no unique tube for use with J50 power brakes. Are you using the stock booster and master cylinder?
Old 06-18-2004, 03:15 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dipstick for power brakes (JohnZ)

Yes to stock booster/master cylinder. I guess the dipstick tube must be non-original. It's not damaged or bent strangely, appears as tho it's exactly as made. I've had the car for over 20 years, bought it from the second owner and most everything is original but that doesn't preclude something from being different. The dipstick handle is chrome and that surprises me, smells of aftermarket. Just don't know why they would have changed the tube except maybe the original was damaged.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:15 PM
M.Y.Freak
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a '64 with P.B.(I assume they'd be the same) If you like I'll measure from where the tube meets the block to the top. let me know
Bob L.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:49 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Dont know your HP, but my 65, 300 hp has a black dipstick. I belive its correct. I have had the tube out of the block in the past, not a big deal, maybe you can remove it and reposition it. I will be adding power brakes to mine in the future, maybe over the winter and have thought about the dipstick being in the way also.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:47 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dipstick for power brakes (JohnZ)

Yes to stock booster/master cylinder. I guess the dipstick tube must be non-original. It's not damaged or bent strangely, appears as tho it's exactly as made. I've had the car for over 20 years, bought it from the second owner and most everything is original but that doesn't preclude something from being different. The dipstick handle is chrome and that surprises me, smells of aftermarket. Just don't know why they would have changed the tube except maybe the original was damaged.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:51 AM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dipstick for power brakes (M.Y.Freak)

I've got a '64 with P.B.(I assume they'd be the same) If you like I'll measure from where the tube meets the block to the top. let me know
Bob L.
Thanks, I don't think it's the length that's in question. I think the curvature of the tube from the block up to where it's straight is probably what make this different and a problem. It's a large arc so that when it turns upward, it's too close or hitting the MC. I'll see if I can't photograph it later (it's finally at the paint shop!!!) and post it.

I'm still trying to find that earlier post that had multiple pictures of boosters.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:34 PM
gary6696
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Anybody have any answers yet?
Mine is going back together, and my NOS dipstick is going to come right up against my MC (66, 327, power brakes).
Old 07-22-2004, 12:20 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe
Now that the engine is in, I see that my dipstick is going to interfere with my new power brake master cylinder. I thought I saw a puddy tat . . . nope, that's not right, try this - I thought I saw a thread just a while back that either had pics of several boosters/MC combinations or had a link to same.

I'm having my usual poor luck with the search function - what's the deal with that? Do I have to bookmark every thread I think I may come back to some day? Anyway, does anyone have a link to that thread or perhaps have a pic showing the dipstick with power brake option?

The dipstick does come up under the master cylinder and the handle should be about 1 3/4" from the bottom of the master cylinder. I know this looks like it won't work, but I do check my oil now and then. When removing the dipstick, you will have to pull it slightly toward the front of the car allowing it to clear the MC. When reinstalling, the loop of the handle should be toward the fender well and when pushed down into the tube it will turn 180 deg. with handle loop resting toward the valve cover.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:03 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

I hadn't considering that if may end up below the MC, I was just looking downward and saw that the tube opening seemed to be too close to where the MC would be. Notice I said 'would be', I haven't finished putting everything together yet. It appears that I may not have a problem then, and thanks for the pics, stingrayl76

Get notified of new replies

To Dipstick for power brakes

Quick Reply: Dipstick for power brakes