C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dipstick problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:16 PM
LT4DRIVER
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dipstick problem

My car is a 96 lt4 CE conv with about 104,000 miles. The engine(bone stock) still runs strong and has never had a problem besides optispark replacement. About a week ago I noticed a burning oil smell and traced it to oil drops on the passenger side exhaust manifold. I noticed that the dipstick was not fully seated and pushed it back. A few days later, same smell, same problem. Has anyone ever had this problem? How do I fix this? Thanks in advance. :confused:
Old 03-16-2004, 04:19 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Dipstick problem (LT4DRIVER)

Don't have 96, but experienced that problem on another car-try pulling dip all the way out and rotate it 180 degrees-push back in. Hope this helps ;)
Old 03-16-2004, 04:22 PM
LT4DRIVER
Advanced

Default Re: Dipstick problem (rick lambert)

Tried that. No effect. Thanks for the advice though. :cheers:
Old 03-16-2004, 04:36 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sounds like you might be experiencing a little too much crankcase pressure.
Is your PCV system working and free from obstruction?
If yes, then you might do a compression test to see if you have any
low cylinders that might suggest blow-by past the rings, although
a leak-down test would be a more positive indication.

Dan
Old 03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

On the L98s a sealant/adhesive was used by the General to seal the dip stick tube into the block.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:12 PM
86Moon
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Dipstick problem (65Z01)

Any one in particular? I can't get mine sealed, even tried a new one. It's my only CURRENT leak. I've tried black RTV.

[Modified by 86Moon, 5:12 PM 3/16/2004]
Old 03-16-2004, 09:50 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Default Re: Dipstick problem (86Moon)

I used red RTV but wipe it down real good with laquer thinner to make sure all the oil is off it & the block
Old 03-16-2004, 10:37 PM
danno85
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Dipstick problem (86Moon)

Well I'm confused now. Are you having trouble with the dipstick or the tube?

[Modified by danno85, 9:37 PM 3/16/2004]
Old 03-16-2004, 11:44 PM
korvette4u
Drifting

I noticed that the dipstick was not fully seated and pushed it back.:
if the dip stick has a drive pin in the upper handle, it could be disassembledand a new seal put back in....you could use a vaccum rubber cap cut to the same length. piece a small hole in the end, just big enough to slip over the stick, dont' forget to install small washer first, reassemble.. should cure leak..
Old 03-19-2004, 12:03 AM
LT4DRIVER
Advanced

Default Re: Dipstick problem (danno85)

The dipstick tube is ok. The dipstick itself is moving out of the tube. Your explanation sounds logical. I don't have the tools to perform a leakdown test. I guess I'm going to the dealership. Does this sound like an expensive problem? The suggestion to create a plug from a vacuum hose end sounds like a band-aid fix which ignores the underlying problem. What do you guys think?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:29 AM
Jloshotz
Burning Brakes

LT4,
Have you ever tried removing the dipstick and simply putting your thumb over the top of the tube while running? Long shot but just an idea. try this while revving the engine a bit and see if you can feel any pressure buildup. It may at least give you an indication of whether or not you are bulding excessive crancace pressure. Hopefully it is just a PCV system problem, although of course that would just be too easy. I'd just hate to see you bring your car down to ramp and get charged $$$$. Try everything possible before going there; don't overlook the simple stuff and good luck. Perhaps i'll run into you at bald hill over the season. See you on the road! Good Luck!

:chevy
Old 03-19-2004, 12:42 AM
LT4DRIVER
Advanced

Default Re: Dipstick problem (Jloshotz)

Jloshotz
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like an easy enough test. I'll have to check it out in the morning. When do the Bald Hill gatherings start? I've only been there 3 or 4 times. :cheers:
Old 03-19-2004, 12:52 AM
Jloshotz
Burning Brakes

Jloshotz
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like an easy enough test. I'll have to check it out in the morning. When do the Bald Hill gatherings start? I've only been there 3 or 4 times. :cheers:
You are very welcome. Just seems like a simple and seemingly effective and cost free "trial test." Bald hill usually starts as soon as the weather breaks for good. Is your vette on the road? I swear I jinxed the weater two weeks ago when it was 60 degrees all week long by getting mine on the road. New toy, got way too overzealous. I told my buddy, "it'll start snowing like crazy as soon as i register the vette." Boy did i call that one. If you are driving yours in the morning like I am, be careful. Definitely NOT designed for this type of crappy weather; i'm sure you know all too well.

:chevy
Old 03-19-2004, 04:08 PM
LT4DRIVER
Advanced

Default Re: Dipstick problem (Jloshotz)

You are very welcome. Just seems like a simple and seemingly effective and cost free "trial test." Bald hill usually starts as soon as the weather breaks for good. Is your vette on the road? I swear I jinxed the weater two weeks ago when it was 60 degrees all week long by getting mine on the road. New toy, got way too overzealous. I told my buddy, "it'll start snowing like crazy as soon as i register the vette." Boy did i call that one. If you are driving yours in the morning like I am, be careful. Definitely NOT designed for this type of crappy weather; i'm sure you know all too well.

:chevy [/QUOTE]

I checked it out. No indication of pressure buildup. I rotated it 180 degrees again just to see if it has any effect. BTW I did drive this morning. It wasn't too icy though. I drive it everyday and everywhere. :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Dipstick problem

Quick Reply: Dipstick problem