C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

leaking soft plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 07:28 PM
corvettecsn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default leaking soft plug

I pulled my 60 Corvette out of the garage the other day and let it run for ten minutes or so and when I turned it off it was leaking water out of the soft plug behind the starter. I don't drive it much but try to start it every couple weeks and drive it up and down the road. Is there a easy way to fix this without taking the engine out? Its a 68 327 motor. I've had a lot of cars but this is a first for me. Thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Tempus_Fugit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Difficulty depends on which one is leaking. Almost all of the time, with patience, you can do them in the car. I am not very familiar with "earlies", but even the midyear ones behind the motor mount are possible. The ones toward the rear are a piece of cake, maybe an hour to replace.

Originally Posted by corvettecsn
I pulled my 60 Corvette out of the garage the other day and let it run for ten minutes or so and when I turned it off it was leaking water out of the soft plug behind the starter. I don't drive it much but try to start it every couple weeks and drive it up and down the road. Is there a easy way to fix this without taking the engine out? Its a 68 327 motor. I've had a lot of cars but this is a first for me. Thanks
Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

You may be able to install one of those rubber bolt expander type plugs with the motor in the car.

You be able to get creative and figure out how to use a hydraulic jack off the frame rail to pusha metal plug in if you can't tap it in with a hammer and plug driver.

You have to be able to get tehhe old one out first.

Of course if one is rusted through, the others are not far behind.

Good luck.

Doug
Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM
landshark 454
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

DO NOT, whatever you do, put a rubber freeze plug in that engine. The water pump puts out more pressure than you think. I have had 2 of those plugs blow out under hard acceleration, and empty my engine in seconds. Happened to look back both times, and the cloud of steam clued me in. Could have been a disaster.

The plug is not hard to install, if you are mechanically capable. Probably 1.5-2.0 hours labor at a shop. Rich
Old 03-18-2009, 11:55 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The key in keeping the rubber plugs in is to use NO Sealant.

Yup, when one leaks another is not far behind. Ended up overhauling the 383 in my '70 Challenger just to replace all the soft plugs.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 AM
mechron
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by landshark 454
DO NOT, whatever you do, put a rubber freeze plug in that engine. The water pump puts out more pressure than you think. I have had 2 of those plugs blow out under hard acceleration, and empty my engine in seconds. Happened to look back both times, and the cloud of steam clued me in. Could have been a disaster.

The plug is not hard to install, if you are mechanically capable. Probably 1.5-2.0 hours labor at a shop. Rich
I AGREE, DO NOT USE THOSE RUBBER EXPANDING FREEZE PLUGS. they are crap. i have replaced thousands of freeze plugs on both SB and BB cars. the one behind the starter is a piece of cake. pull the starter and pound the old freeze plug into the block, then pry it out with channel locks and a screwdriver (or just leave it in the block-). pound in the new one with a 1/2" drive extension, no sealer is needed. the ones under the motor mounts can even be done with the engine in the car (OOPS, thinking C2s). i have NEVER pulled an engine to replace any freeze plug. the one behind the starter should be a 30 minute job tops.

TRIVIA: even though everybody calls them "freeze plugs" (and they do serve that purpuse) they are actually core casting plugs (to get the sand out after the block is cast...

Get notified of new replies

To leaking soft plug

Quick Reply: leaking soft plug