C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS point deductions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:46 AM
rich1aia
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NCRS point deductions

My 66 Vette is coded for Rally Red but was repainted GM Brilliant Red sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. (Not by me.) The paint job is nice so I do not really want to repaint - but am interested in NCRS Top Flight status. I am wondering how many points i will lose for the wrong color? Also what is the maximum point deduction permitted to still obtain Top Flight status? And if it is still possible to obtain Top Flight status with this error? Thanks for the help. Rich1aia.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,929 Likes on 4,774 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

It will be very tough to get a top flight with wrong paint. Every thing else must be dead on correct
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,263 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Rich
Body color is worth 85 points.
Body paint appearance is 45 Orig and 40 Condition.
You can loose up to 260 points and still achieve TF
If your paint appeared very similar to factory applied lacquer and not too over restored you would get most of your Body Paint points, and only loose all 85 for the color, and then if your car was very correct in most all other ways, AND everything works, you would easily still make TF.
Most points are lost in Operations.
And remember you get points for driving your car. One point for every 100 miles. So, if you drive a distance, you can make up for an issue like wrong color paint.
suggest you check your NCRS 66 Technical Information Guide and Judging Manual, buy the Judging Reference Manual, and download the Judging score sheets from the NCRS Website.
Good luck
Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 AM
kenba
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: PHOENIX AZ. WHAT A MAN WON"T SPEND TO GIVE HIS ASS A RIDE
Received 306 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by rich1aia
My 66 Vette is coded for Rally Red but was repainted GM Brilliant Red sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. (Not by me.) The paint job is nice so I do not really want to repaint - but am interested in NCRS Top Flight status. I am wondering how many points i will lose for the wrong color? Also what is the maximum point deduction permitted to still obtain Top Flight status? And if it is still possible to obtain Top Flight status with this error? Thanks for the help. Rich1aia.
I didn't look it up but I think it is about 120 points. I lost all my paint points because of shinny door jams but still got a top flight.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM
mark6669
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 128 Posts

You better check new NCRS paint judging standards at Fl. chapter meet in Nov. they used a new standard and 80% of midyears got a very serious deduct on paint.
Mark
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Boyan
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 292 Posts

Default paint

As Don mentioned above, body color 85pts. Body paint 85pts (45 orig, 40 cond). But, a difference in the SHADE of red, is only a deduct of 20% in the originality section of body paint.

So if the shade if Red is the ONLY thing different, you are looking at a small deduct.

I suggest you join NCRS and get involved in the club and judging process. Unless specifically prepared for judging, most owners cars should prepare for a full deduct in paint as most do not appear to be 60's style lacquer paint jobs.

Boyan
Old 12-09-2012, 12:21 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Boyan
As Don mentioned above, body color 85pts. Body paint 85pts (45 orig, 40 cond). But, a difference in the SHADE of red, is only a deduct of 20% in the originality section of body paint.

So if the shade if Red is the ONLY thing different, you are looking at a small deduct.

I suggest you join NCRS and get involved in the club and judging process. Unless specifically prepared for judging, most owners cars should prepare for a full deduct in paint as most do not appear to be 60's style lacquer paint jobs.

Boyan

I've seen owners disappointed when their beautiful Corvette took a 100% paint deduct. Had they understood the judging process, with minimal effort they could have saved many points.

Cheers,
JB
Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
1955 copper
Safety Car

Received 207 Likes on 149 Posts
2015 C1 of Year

One advantage of C1's it don't have a paint code ,so can be any factory color
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001

I've seen owners disappointed when their beautiful Corvette took a 100% paint deduct. Had they understood the judging process, with minimal effort they could have saved many points.

Cheers,
JB
and this is only surpassed by the number of owners who get into flight judging for all the wrong reasons. Always ends in tears.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 594 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
I thought some had a crayon mark somewhere that had the paint code ...behin the seat ?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Boyan

Boyan
The 20% deduct for a "shade" would be for the same color with a tint too light or too dark. The color in this case is off completely and a full deduct can be expected. Additionally, from the description, I suspect a full deduct for originallity and condition as well, because I'll bet the paint does not appear as a typical factory lacquer job. I've seen correct color "base coat clear coat" get the full deduct treatment more times than I want to remember.

By all means have the paint job YOU want, but don't expect to be given a free ride on the exterior judging process because your car looks nice.

tc
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by 1955 copper
True. However, you'll still lose points for having clear, no orange peel, complete coverage etc. Bottom line, nice paint = points deduction.

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
I thought some had a crayon mark somewhere that had the paint code ...behin the seat ?
It's behind the trunk panel and painted over. It's not included in the judging process.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by project63
The 20% deduct for a "shade" would be for the same color with a tint too light or too dark.

It was either here or the NCRS site that I read two maroon C-1's were side by side being judged. Both cars were a lightly different shade of each other and since the judges figured that one of them had to be incorrect and didn't know which one it was, BOTH cars got the deduction. To me, that's total B.S. and one of the many reasons why I would never have any of my cars judged.

Jim
Old 12-09-2012, 03:27 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
and this is only surpassed by the number of owners who get into flight judging for all the wrong reasons. Always ends in tears.
So true. Those tears usually follow spending big $$$.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 1snake
It was either here or the NCRS site that I read two maroon C-1's were side by side being judged. Both cars were a lightly different shade of each other and since the judges figured that one of them had to be incorrect and didn't know which one it was, BOTH cars got the deduction. To me, that's total B.S. and one of the many reasons why I would never have any of my cars judged.

Jim
Never park next to a car of the "same color." Never.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

........... To me, that's total B.S. and one of the many reasons why I would never have any of my cars judged just once. I'd go several times and stop when I got the results I liked best.

Jim
Fixed it for you
Old 12-09-2012, 04:13 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Never park next to a car of the "same color." Never.
I've lost count how many variations I've seen for Signet Red.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS point deductions

Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM
rich1aia
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Rich
Body color is worth 85 points.
Body paint appearance is 45 Orig and 40 Condition.
You can loose up to 260 points and still achieve TF
If your paint appeared very similar to factory applied lacquer and not too over restored you would get most of your Body Paint points, and only loose all 85 for the color, and then if your car was very correct in most all other ways, AND everything works, you would easily still make TF.
Most points are lost in Operations.
And remember you get points for driving your car. One point for every 100 miles. So, if you drive a distance, you can make up for an issue like wrong color paint.
suggest you check your NCRS 66 Technical Information Guide and Judging Manual, buy the Judging Reference Manual, and download the Judging score sheets from the NCRS Website.
Good luck
Really helpful - thanks! I just want to know if it is worth chasing the TF staus.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by rich1aia
Really helpful - thanks! I just want to know if it is worth chasing the TF staus.
Why do you want TF (and only TF) status? There's about 99 wrong answers and only a few right ones.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

It's behind the trunk panel and painted over. It's not included in the judging process.
Depends on the year Jim, '62, and I also believe '61, have the paint color written in green crayon on the panel behind the passenger seat, also "HT" if the car had a hardtop. Not judged however as you mentioned.
I'd post a pic from my '62, but I don't have it on this computer.

Paul

Quick Reply: NCRS point deductions