C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need a little Holley help-rich idle circuit

Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Default Need a little Holley help-rich idle circuit

I've been trying to get my chassis ready to drop the body on tomorrow and one thing that I have not been able to do is resolve how rich my Holley 3810 is running. The motor is a 327, 10.5:1 SCR, LT1 cam and timing is set 12 degrees initial, 36 degrees all in at 2350 RPM (vacum advance plugged.

The carb is a 3810, every mating surface was initally warped so I used machinist blue and hand filed until I had decent surfaces. Then using progressively finner grades of emory cloth on a sheet of glass, I sanded until I had great mating surfaces all around.

The carb has new Holley needles and seats, 6.5 PV, all new Holley gaskets, 65 pri and 72 secondaries. The floats are set 1/32" below Holley spec and using ethanol free 92 octane. The bowl screws are torqued to 40 inch-pounds per holley instructions.

The transition slot is set to .020" opening and the secondary plates are just barley cracked. The engine fires right up, and idles GREAT, but on the rich side and part of that may be the LT1 cam. The motor runs best with the idle mixture screws no more than 1/2 turn open, runs fine with them closed, when the screws are opened up to 1 or more turns, it becomes really rich and bogs out. Today I tried a different primary metering plate from a spare carb with another new Holley PV but no change.

I started with autolite 3924 plugs but moved up to Autolite 66's a much hotter plug but they are still sooty black.

I thought I would throw this out and see what some other thoughts might be as to why the idle circuit is rich.

TIA

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 12-08-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:26 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Have you used this carburetor before or is this your first experience with it? If you've used it before, how did it run before?

The first thing to check is the PV, but I'm sure you've checked it already.

The reason I ask about prior usage, is that if there's no assembly problem with it, then it sounds like the idle feed restrictions were drilled larger.

If the IFRs were enlarged, then you can easily restrict them again by inserting fine wire, like those used in a wire brush, in the IFR passages and simply bending the ends over to prevent them from being dislodged.

The LT1 cam has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-08-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Hi Joe, nope this is a used carb I picked up. PV has been swapped out 3 times.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:37 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Hi Joe, nope this is a used carb I picked up. PV has been swapped out 3 times.
Be sure that all 4 idle air bleeds are clear.

If there is no irregularity in the cleaning and R & R, then the IFR's may have been mucked with, or the secondary plate may have been modified.

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 12-08-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

sooty plugs is likely poor ignition. need good spark w/10.5
after that is checked and ok,
coat the metering gasket w/grease for a sealing TEST.
check size of IFR, .031"?
if it idles normal for a while, until the grease gets washed off, that proves a bad seal. then careful inspection will show the dry spot as the leak source. IFR junction?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 884 Likes on 633 Posts

If you're running fine with the idle needles closed, you have more than an idle feed restriction problem, someone drilled out the idle air bleeds, too. If the orifice sizes for the idle feed restrictors and and idle air bleeds are anywhere near the right size, you should idle properly at about 1 1/2 turns opening on the idle mixture screws and should not be fouling plugs with the transition slots open at 0.020 (the recommended setting).

Maybe you'll find some help here:

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html
Old 12-09-2012, 09:44 PM
itsonlyairandfuel
Drifting

Received 381 Likes on 238 Posts

If you drill out the idle air bleeds, it will lean out the fuel mixture. Opposite of what happens if you drill out the idle fuel restiction. Ron B.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys, the air bleeds are in the main body but the idle restrictor is in the metering plate correct. Since I swapped out metering plates can't I eliminate the idle restrictor as suspect. I will try to measure the idle bleeds and verify that they are all clear. I do have a spare 3310 main body I can build up with the 3810 fuel bowls and metering plates and see how that compares.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
The motor runs best with the idle mixture screws no more than 1/2 turn open, runs fine with them closed, when the screws are opened up to 1 or more turns, it becomes really rich and bogs out.
If it runs fine with the idle mixture screws closed, where is it getting idle fuel from - transition slot or main boosters?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnZ
If it runs fine with the idle mixture screws closed, where is it getting idle fuel from - transition slot or main boosters?
i would also check for a loose power valve or missing power valve gasket or bad power valve....jmo....
Old 12-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

John, I hadn't noticed fuel from boosters at idle, only with throttle. Three different PVs with new gaskets. I'm going to check the bleeds if I have time tonight.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a little Holley help-rich idle circuit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need a little Holley help-rich idle circuit