C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS Designation

Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Revoh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NCRS Designation

Hello,

This is probably a dumb question, but that normally doesn't stop me.

My dad has a very original '61 (paint, engine, spare tire, etc.) that he bought more than 30 years ago. He has gotten to the point where he is never going to take it on a long out of town trip or anything like that. He just drives it around on nice days, hits the car cruises sometimes, and basically enjoys it casually.

There is no danger of anyone selling it or anything, but we always thought it would be fun to get some kind of NCRS-type certification for bragging rights or whatever.

He lives in Kansas City. Is there any way to do something like that locally? Are there local judges, or does he have to attend a big out-of-town convention?

Thanks--I really appreciate your help!!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:44 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

First thing would be to join NCRS and find the local chapter.Heres the web link.

http://www.ncrs.org/

I am sure theres one in KC.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 02-01-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 PM
56Heap
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how original that car really is some people would sure like the chance to look it over. Go the the NCRS site and look for a local Chapter
Old 02-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

If what you are saying is accurate, that car would qualify for 'survivors award'. Very hard to get. Join and find out. Bill
Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Beautiful picture. Something about a white car with water and blue sky in the background.

Jim
Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Revoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 56Heap
Depending on how original that car really is some people would sure like the chance to look it over. Go the the NCRS site and look for a local Chapter
Thanks--I'll look into that. I guess if there is a local chapter, it can be judged or certified locally?

Here's a couple more pictures, just because people always like pictures.

It still has the old straps under the rear axle.

Dad changed the valve covers way back when he bought it, because he liked these better, but the pained ones with the stickers are in the garage.

This was the last time Nebraska had an inspection sticker, in 1982. The car was originally an Omaha Shriners Patrol Parade Car. They were all white and blue, and equipped like this.

It's not perfect, but certainly not restored.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

I think we're being played with here. That car is way, way too nice not to have restored. Bill.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:43 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

This appears to be a high level survivor. Gorgeous!
Old 02-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep 2 years younger than yours Mr Durham and another bloody awesome white car and blue sky with the water in the background !! Have you worked out why I'm calling you Mr Durham of late ! ( your retired so that earns you the right to be called Mr Durham). Where are the photos of your 64 by the way ! Stewy
Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

As the OP mentions, the valve covers are not original, late '66 or so...they have the casting flaw through the 'o' in Corvette.

A beautiful '61 nonetheless!

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 02-01-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Glasshole
Burning Brakes

Nice ride however it looks like it has been re-painted before and not that well. Looks like there is paint over rock chips and rust (unless it has been touched up all over the place).
Old 02-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

So the nit-picking begins.

You wanted to know about NCRS...you're getting a taste of it for free!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:13 PM
64_365
Racer

Like one responder said, join the NCRS. The fee isn't much compared to what you'll learn. Even if the nearest meet is four hours away, rent a trailer, put it on, and get it judged. You also get the NCRS magazine, the Restorer, which has great articles and notices on upcoming meets. You also get the Driveline, which has member advertisements, and lots of reputable vendors advertise in it as well.

Y'know, this website is great, I like it a lot since there is a lot of interest in non-stock mods here (resto-rods, etc), but if you're really interested in keeping your Vette as stock as possible, or restoring your Vette, you need to join the NCRS.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:32 PM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart Allison
Yep 2 years younger than yours Mr Durham and another bloody awesome white car and blue sky with the water in the background !! Have you worked out why I'm calling you Mr Durham of late ! ( your retired so that earns you the right to be called Mr Durham). Where are the photos of your 64 by the way ! Stewy
Now I feel old. No pics. of the 65 yet. I actually haven't done anything to it since the purchase. Too busy doing other stuff. Now I'm heading to Maui till the end of the month. That's 1/2 way to your house.

Jim
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Revoh
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gl*******
Nice ride however it looks like it has been re-painted before and not that well. Looks like there is paint over rock chips and rust (unless it has been touched up all over the place).
Of course it has been touched up all over the place. My dad sticks with things he knows. Sometime in his life, he learned how to touch things up with the back of a match, so that's what he does. Every year or so, he'd blot a little laquer from the old can he had mixed up in the early '80s onto the nicks with a match. Old paint tends to fleck off of a fiberglass Corvette when you drive them. I assure you, it has absolutely not been painted. Frankly, it never had that great of a paintjob in the first place. I'm 37 years old, he bought it when I was five. I know this car like the back of my hand. It ain't painted.

Here's another one that might convince you. The cove moldings have door dings in them, because, again, they're original. He has some NOS moldings that we've been stumbling over for years in boxes, but he refuses to put them on.

I don't know what else to tell you. But thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll buy him a membership as a gift. That sounds like a good start, and I'm sure he'll like to get the magazine.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:28 AM
4440stevesvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

Old 02-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default All right

Originally Posted by Orange 01 SS
Of course it has been touched up all over the place. My dad sticks with things he knows. Sometime in his life, he learned how to touch things up with the back of a match, so that's what he does. Every year or so, he'd blot a little laquer from the old can he had mixed up in the early '80s onto the nicks with a match. Old paint tends to fleck off of a fiberglass Corvette when you drive them. I assure you, it has absolutely not been painted. Frankly, it never had that great of a paintjob in the first place. I'm 37 years old, he bought it when I was five. I know this car like the back of my hand. It ain't painted.

Here's another one that might convince you. The cove moldings have door dings in them, because, again, they're original. He has some NOS moldings that we've been stumbling over for years in boxes, but he refuses to put them on.

I don't know what else to tell you. But thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll buy him a membership as a gift. That sounds like a good start, and I'm sure he'll like to get the magazine.
Way to stand your ground and put people in their place. Some people are not happy unless they can be negative. To many experts. Very nice car. Greg

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS Designation

Old 02-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

The NCRS Is a great source of info and a great bunch of old fogies LOL !
They call a spade a spade and I think all people doing a resto should join or have a good look at how these cars were made and kept that way. It's up to ones self to restore an exact example or deviate from originality, after all it's "your car" and you have to live with it at the end of the day.
I really get my rocks off on a car that has been numbered match to the entire car and love to see originality. Having said that I also own a customized Foose looking car that has no originality. I think any C1 and C2 if it's not to far gone should keep to originality if one can afford that style of resto. I don't like bastardising a good car to modify/customise it. There is plenty of rubbish out there to tub,drop and chop to do that to. My 2 cents anyway Stewy
Old 02-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Jimmy 8964 K's your in the right direction but a hell of a swim if you think your half way !! Really enjoy yourself Jim that's what retirement for !! Just watch those young girls over there they will have you gasping for air LOL Look after yourself ! Stewy
Old 02-02-2010, 04:39 AM
Ron Champe
Pro

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink

This quote should win the the "quote of the year award "!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NCRS Designation