C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How about the stereo?

Old 01-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How about the stereo?

Are we getting the same crap Bose system that is in the C5?

I personally will never buy a Bose product for my home because of my experience with the system in my past two C5's.

Does Bose really think the system they put in the C5 helps them sell their stuff to high end buyers?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:36 PM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Re: How about the stereo? (Tom Steele)

[QUOTE]Are we getting the same crap Bose system that is in the C5? ..... /QUOTE]

Tom,

Get the convertible, put the top down, and it doesn't matter what stereo you have. :lol: Maybe a nice set of mufflers is all the "music" you need.

Who knows, perhaps "radio delete" will be an option for the audiophiles and the go-fast guys?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:10 PM
DngrZne
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How about the stereo? (mapman)

I don't think so, at least not with the 2 upper end stereo options. The system is now 7 speakers. It appears there are 4 speakers positioned like in the C5, then a tweeter mounted high in each door, then either a sub or center speaker. The stcok head unit wasn't too terrible in the C5, I think it was more of a problem with the speakers and their lack of range and poor soundstage. Hopefully this will have taken care of the problem.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:15 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd really like to know how the guys at Blose manage to dupe just about every carmaker into being the supplier for their stereo systems (except Lexus who uses Nakamichi and Mark Levinson - THAT's more like it!). Blose is one of the LEAST respected names in sound among audiophiles and enthusiasts (really anyone with a decent ear). Yet car companies love to boldy pronounce that their car features a "premium Bose audio system." HA!

Blose is all marketing and no substance. Total crap in a flimsy art deco plastic package.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:25 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

>>>Does Bose really think the system they put in the C5 helps them sell their stuff to high end buyers<<<

Probably. The people that bash the Bose compared to the number that don't are very low. We see all of the complaints here on the forum because it's a Corvette forum.

Mine sounds fine. If I wanted audiophile quality I wouldn't have bought a Corvette. Most of the problem isn't the quality of the radio or speakers (sure they could be better) but the inherent noise in which it has to operate.

I think the best solution would have been to have had an optional sound system available in the C5 that would have added high quality speakers, amplifiers and a subwoofer with tweeters calibrated and aimed for a perfect soundstage and a button to switch the soundstage for a driver only situation.

Charge a hefty premium and the stereo guys would stand in line and it would all be backed with a factory warranty. They chose not to do that however so we are left with a compromise. No factory stereo will please everyone. It doesn't have to. It only has to please the majority of owners and that it does.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:53 PM
gnosys
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bose doth truly suck!

I hope the new system is at least listenable to those of us who care about music.

I think this is the hubris of GM coming through; they think we're all geezer prostate cases running around in our libido-substitutes with poor/no hearing. Unbelievable the crappe they've pawned off on us (and the price!) for years now. Even economy cars have decent stereos these days! :crazy: :lol:
Old 01-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How about the stereo? (2k2C5)

Mine sounds fine. If I wanted audiophile quality I wouldn't have bought a Corvette. Most of the problem isn't the quality of the radio or speakers (sure they could be better) but the inherent noise in which it has to operate.
Here's the thing: I'm not an extreme audiophile. I don't need that quality and don't think it would matter in the Vette anyway. Road noise and engine noise (and wind noise from the poor window seals) drown a lot of that out anyway.

BUT... I would like a solid DECENT sounding system with some punch to the Bass and some crispy highs. Not only does the Bose not do this well, but it is exceedingly difficult to correct. Their weird design makes it far more difficult to improve on than it should be.

I will add that in my experience, my coupe had a much closer to acceptable sound than my Z06. I assume this is because of the different rear speakers.

Also, the speaker buzz from the fronts is fairly well-known about here and too common.

I think the best solution would have been to have had an optional sound system available in the C5 that would have added high quality speakers, amplifiers and a subwoofer with tweeters calibrated and aimed for a perfect soundstage and a button to switch the soundstage for a driver only situation.
That isn't a terrible idea. I'd probably have stepped up to the plate for a decent system. Of course, it still won't be an option for the Z06 based on GM's attitude about the car.

But again, I'm not an audiophile. Let me give you an example. My wife's Explorer Sport Trac has the $900 Pioneer sub-woofer optional stereo. I wouldn't have purchased it, but it was on the vehicle we wanted and we were buying at closer to invoice than sticker so it was probably more like $600.

It sounds FINE to me. Not GREAT. Not Audiophile. But plenty good enough for a car stereo.

My Z06 Bose system is marginal comparatively.

Getting back to my original post though, it sounds like there may be some improvement in the sound system? I hope so. I don't need audiophile, but I sure would like for the stereo to be better than the C5's.

:cheers:
Old 01-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Yogivette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From going into best buy and random other places it seems like the bose speakers for home theater sound really good and pack a punch. I dont understand why there car stereos are always so much worse, and i believe they are, although they meet my standards. Also i did hear that the way bose are set up it is really hard to aftermarket your car since all amplification is at the speakers themselves. Hopefully the 7 speakers help and if not, than just put down the windows and listen to the growl.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:07 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Re: How about the stereo? (Yogivette)

From going into best buy and random other places it seems like the bose speakers for home theater sound really good and pack a punch.
No they don't. They just play music on them like classical guitar that masks their frequency limitations. The quality of the plastic and construction is ridiculously cheap too.

Compare Bose to a similar priced system like Polk or Paradigm and a subwoofer from Velodyne. The Bose is pathetic. They have all sorts of sneaky marketing practices (they always seem to have their own area so you can't compare them to anything), price fixing, etc to dupe customers. Their unique designs of the car speakers is an obvious attempt to prevent anyone from replacing their paper woofers and wizzer cones with anything decent.

I didn't buy the Vette for the stereo and haven't replaced it. What irks me is that GM could do so much better for probably the same amount of money. My wife has an 03 Accord ($26K sticker) and the stereo sounds great. It CAN be done.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:13 PM
darkmercury
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: How about the stereo? (RichieRich)

Maybe Herbie Hancock will do an info-commercial in a C6 as if its a Bose Wave Radio! :lolg:

He could play Maiden Voyage and drive off in the Vette... ok I'm burned out from work and its Friday. No I'm not on drugs! :chill: :crazy:
Old 01-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Grumpy
MONARTOR

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-17-'18-'19'-20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: How about the stereo? (darkmercury)

No I'm not on drugs! :chill: :crazy:
had me worried...
Old 01-09-2004, 04:25 PM
mike1952
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'11-'12-'13

Are we getting the same crap Bose system that is in the C5?

I personally will never buy a Bose product for my home because of my experience with the system in my past two C5's.

Does Bose really think the system they put in the C5 helps them sell their stuff to high end buyers?
I own a home electronics business and when people ask us about Bose we just say they do a very good job of advertizing :lol: :lol: :lol:

all highs and lows with nothing in between :D :crazy: :lol: ;)
Old 01-09-2004, 06:45 PM
GDP
Team Owner

Yes it will be a Bose. Seven speakers, the seventh most likely being a sub.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:20 PM
JWD01
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How about the stereo? (RichieRich)

I'd really like to know how the guys at Blose manage to dupe just about every carmaker into being the supplier for their stereo systems (except Lexus who uses Nakamichi and Mark Levinson - THAT's more like it!). Blose is one of the LEAST respected names in sound among audiophiles and enthusiasts (really anyone with a decent ear). Yet car companies love to boldy pronounce that their car features a "premium Bose audio system." HA!

Blose is all marketing and no substance. Total crap in a flimsy art deco plastic package.
:iagree: You know sound systems my friend. I wish GM would offer a radio delete so I could put in a decent system myself. :yesnod:
Old 01-10-2004, 01:17 AM
Finch
Burning Brakes

Default Re: How about the stereo? (JWD01)

The only Bose system I've heard so far that sounded close to good is the one in my STS. It's got the 425 watt, 8 speaker stereo with a stock 12 inch sub and it hits pretty well. The treble and midrange are relatively crisp and seperated well. Obviously it will be outdone by the better systems out there but for a stock stereo it is among the best I've heard. The Z06...well, it's not terrible but it's nowhere near great.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:48 AM
Ooomph
Racer

I also have the Bose in my '03 Tahoe. It sounds twice as good as the Vette's. Maybe it has a lot more to do with speaker placement and the space within the vehicle. My wife has Harmon Kardon in her bimmer and it sounds great. just my $.02.

Get notified of new replies

To How about the stereo?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How about the stereo?